Battery Relocation

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GlassHeadlights

West West Yall
I think I'm gonna clean up my bay when I do the LS swap so whats a good battery to use inside the car? Would one of thoes little Odyssey betterys hold up to a small stereo system? ( 10" sub w/300 W amp) Or what about an Optima 6 pack or whatever?

ODYSSEY%20BATTERY.jpg
optimared%202%20post.jpg

Checked out wally mart and they have a $200 Optima that is about the same side as a stock Honda battery but its a lot more powerful.

Stock Honda wants:
Cold Crank Amp 450; Crank Amp 575; Res. Capacity 66; Amp Hour 38; Top Terminal; L-9 5/16 in.; W-5 1/16 in.; H- 8 15/16 in.;

The only one I found has:
Cold Crank Amps 720; Crank Amps 910; Reserve Capacity 90; Ampere Hour 44; Top Terminal; L-9 5/16 in.; W-6 3/4 in.; H-7 5/8 in.;

Would it be too much?

Last edited:
The rating is available amperage- not how much it pushes into your car's electrical system. You can't have too much battery.

:thumbsup:

The current rating just shows what the battery is capable of supporting in terms of current draw, that's all.

If you can find an Odyssey battery for a decent price it would be a good choice. The Odyssey is like optima 2.0, they are both made by enersys and the optima is the older version of the two.

Maybe, I don't think I could find one up here.

Is $200 a going price? Will it last longer than a regular car battery? Because wal mart also has a Duracell for a Civic/CRX for $87 but it wouldnt be safe inside the car. :(

Last edited:
I have a 11 year old optima red top in my truck. it still works great. The trick is to buy one that has the highest cca and amp hour rating you can get to fit in what ever size area you are using. The more head room you have in the ratings the less stressed your battery will be causing it to live longer.
btw my local Costco had red top optima batteries for around $150 the last time I was in there. You might want to check your local Costco store.

I have an Optima yellow top. I left my head lights on all afternoon once (rainy day)....car cranked right up.

make sure you get a battery box too. don't just leave it strapped into the cargo bay.

You can always get a sealed battery box (not all of them are) and mount a normal lead-acid inside the passenger compartment somewhere or in the trunk- you just have to be sure to vent the battery to the outside from the box.

Hello, I noticed your conversation regarding our batteries and wanted to offer some assistance. Optima is not affiliated with EnerSys in any way. We are owned by Johnson Controls and we manufacture all of our own batteries in our own facility and they are the only batteries made there. Fernpatch is correct about cranking amps and amp hour ratings. If a vehicle has significant aftermarket electronics, amp hour ratings are more of a concern, provided the battery’s cranking amps meet or exceed OEM specs.

Even though our batteries have a “sealed” design, all lead-acid batteries can vent gas. Under normal operating conditions, an AGM battery will not vent gas. Since alternators or chargers can fail, the safest and correct mounting method for trunks and passenger compartments is to make sure that any possible gas venting will escape to the outside of the vehicle. All vehicles with original equipment battery locations in trunks or passenger compartments will have a vent provision that should be used.

Our group 27, 51, 78, 34C, and 31 batteries all have ports for connecting a vent hose. You can view the physical dimensions of our RedTops here-http://optimabatteries.com/optima_products/redtop/specs.php and our YellowTops here- http://optimabatteries.com/optima_products/yellowtop/specs.php

Although people do it anyway, we would never recommend installing an unvented battery in any enclosed space, because there’s a legitimate, albeit unlikely, safety risk involved.

For example, IF there is a voltage regulator failure, and IF the battery is severely overcharged, and IF this goes unnoticed, and IF the battery vents because the internal pressure exceeds the release pressure of the vents, the gasses are both flammable and toxic. This may sound like a lot of “ifs,” but attorneys and engineers get paid to plan for every worst-case scenario. If you have any questions about our batteries, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries

Wow, corporate representation! :thumbsup:

Jim, it's good to have you on the forum. I hope you'll stick around to answer other battery related questions, and not just this one. How did you find this post anyway?

Thats amazing. I wish I got that kind of help on my threads. We need more corporate members.

Awesome, I stand corrected about the makers of the company. I guess my battery supplier lied to me. Thank you sir for coming in and clearing that up.
I agree that it would be awesome if you stuck around sir, information direct from the maker of a product is allways a great thing.

Back