Best site for info about miatas?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

totalburnout

VIP
I've started other threads on cars that I was seriously considering buying and now I need to start a new one.

I have no idea what website provides a good forum with legit information or even a site that has information on miatas.

Specifically I'm thinking about a supercharged miata and although I haven't invested the time to call about the car I assume that the supercharger is more than likely a JRSC. Just looking what my ET's and power gains will be around.

The car would come with a hardtop and I don't think I would take it out in the winter after hearing how bad they can be in inclement weather, I'd probably have to buy a $500 beater for winter since I'm in New Jersey.

Any thoughts or opinions on the car? Although I don't neccesarily love Consumer Report reviews on cars, they've always given the miata a positive review.

I'm 19, owned a del sol before and I'm currently stuck in a newer SUV. I'm either going to go luxury ride/highway cruiser or spring for my last pure enjoyment car for awhile when I'm still young. You only live once and its a good story to tell the grandkids that you had a fun and badass car.

Originally posted by Battle Pope@May 9 2005, 12:14 AM
www.miata.net

EDIT:

talk to MaaseyRacer about Miatas - he knows a lot of stuff.
[post=496810]Quoted post[/post]​

thanks for the miata.net, i was just there searching before I came back to check this post actually but the forums seemed to be down or not very active.

before you even do a lot of research on 'em, go to a lot and sit in one.

right away, that will either make or brake your want for the car.

me, i'd hate life driving a miata.

sure, its a fun little car, but theres just no freakin room.

Yeah, if you're much over 6' tall or much over 200 lbs, you're gonna hate life. Talk to MaaseyRacer though, there's a seat mod he told me about that makes life a lot easier.

Originally posted by Battle Pope@May 9 2005, 10:28 AM
Yeah, if you're much over 6' tall or much over 200 lbs, you're gonna hate life. Talk to MaaseyRacer though, there's a seat mod he told me about that makes life a lot easier.
[post=496947]Quoted post[/post]​

<--- Small guy 5'8-5'9 170lbs.

I'm a bit taller than you (5'11ish) and I have no problems at all sitting in my miata.
With regards to the supercharger, there may be a good chance that it is not from JR. There are at least 4 different and popular makers of superchargers for miatas (sebring, jsrc, BEGI, and flyinmiata's ubercharger), so its hard to guess. If you're looking for reviews be sure to check miata.net as I'm sure you will find someone who has experience with that supercharger.
I love my miata and its a blast to drive, though I'm glad its not my only car as it is very much impractical. Its too small to even cart home anything resembling a serious load of groceries. Fuel efficience also isn't quite what i would expect from a car that is that small (mine is a 90, so its only a 1.6l). The hardtop is nice, I'm wishing i had one for mine. Unfortunately my vinyl window developed a huge crack. So as long as you dont mind having a pretty much totally impractical car, the miata is a great car to own.

del sol > miata imo

for fun factor, room, comfortability, etc

and if youve already owned a del sol then i wouldnt look into a miata. just my opinion

Originally posted by micah@May 11 2005, 12:55 AM
del sol > miata imo

and if youve already owned a del sol then i wouldnt look into a miata. just my opinion
[post=497729]Quoted post[/post]​

Eh i don't know how you could say that.

RWD > FWD

Perfect 50/50 split > anything else.

The car is simply going to be lighter, handle better, and with a turbo be faster for cheaper.

Originally posted by Guy@May 11 2005, 12:34 AM
I'm a bit taller than you (5'11ish) and I have no problems at all sitting in my miata.
With regards to the supercharger, there may be a good chance that it is not from JR. There are at least 4 different and popular makers of superchargers for miatas (sebring, jsrc, BEGI, and flyinmiata's ubercharger), so its hard to guess. If you're looking for reviews be sure to check miata.net as I'm sure you will find someone who has experience with that supercharger.
I love my miata and its a blast to drive, though I'm glad its not my only car as it is very much impractical. Its too small to even cart home anything resembling a serious load of groceries. Fuel efficience also isn't quite what i would expect from a car that is that small (mine is a 90, so its only a 1.6l). The hardtop is nice, I'm wishing i had one for mine. Unfortunately my vinyl window developed a huge crack. So as long as you dont mind having a pretty much totally impractical car, the miata is a great car to own.
[post=497718]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, I'm heading in two different directions. My one choice of cars was completely practical and the other is impractical.

Do I go with my usual nature and be a practical person or do I throw caution to the wind, use the excuse I'm young and go be impractical and have fun? Hmmm...

mmmmm..... 6'1", and I fit just fine in one, although I modded the seat in my previous cars. My next one however will probably have a sparco or after market seat in it, that I am going to keep fairly low. I am also going to put in a detachable steering wheel, so I can sit in the optimal possition. I need to buy a new bike, and then after that project Miata will begin, as I am done with my project civic.
Fuck a JRSC! Go to flyin' miata, and get their ubber charger. My roommate has one and it is the shit. He is making ~250whp on a 1.3l intercooled whipple charger.
Get a hardtop it is key, and half the time, those soft tops leak like no other, espcially on the older cars.
If you are into Auto-X'ing or track days there is no better car for the money. Drive one and you will learn to love them.

Originally posted by micah@May 11 2005, 01:55 AM
del sol > miata imo

[post=497729]Quoted post[/post]​

you have obviously never seen a miata on a road course

you mean autox course

i still think its a faggy car but thats just what i think

me and a friend just converted a 99 miata jr charger to a 92 miata and its still slow as hell so...

in autoX miatas do well
the spec miatas that run on road courses are absolutly incredible
ive personally seen them stomp the ass off of 350+whp audis, 911 turbos, NSXs, type Rs, vipers, Z06s.... pretty much anything outside of a cup car

and all they have is the 1.6L (1.8s must run restricter plates to bring the power down to 1.6 status) the only power adders are an intake and exhaust.... the rest is all suspension and brakes...

at limerock park
map_large.jpg

the only place the spec miatas are on the brakes is right before "big bend" at the end of the "main straight" (cars run counter clockwise)... and they are only on the brakes for less than 10 yards before the turn (right about where the walkover foot bridge is) everywhere else all that is needed is a quick lift of the throttle to adjust the loading of the nose before getting back to full throttle

if you havent seen the spec miatas run before i HIGHLY recommend it they will change your oppinion greatly

Originally posted by E_SolSi@May 11 2005, 07:24 PM
if you havent seen the spec miatas run before i HIGHLY recommend it they will change your oppinion greatly
[post=498076]Quoted post[/post]​

I have seen them a few times.... must just have bad drivers...

one thing that gets me though, the best driver/car at my local autox is a 45yr old with a 92? miata hardtop....

He drives like me its amazing to see some of the things he does

Originally posted by MaaseyRacer@May 11 2005, 01:10 PM
mmmmm..... 6'1", and I fit just fine in one, although I modded the seat in my previous cars. My next one however will probably have a sparco or after market seat in it, that I am going to keep fairly low. I am also going to put in a detachable steering wheel, so I can sit in the optimal possition. I need to buy a new bike, and then after that project Miata will begin, as I am done with my project civic.
Fuck a JRSC! Go to flyin' miata, and get their ubber charger. My roommate has one and it is the shit. He is making ~250whp on a 1.3l intercooled whipple charger.
Get a hardtop it is key, and half the time, those soft tops leak like no other, espcially on the older cars.
If you are into Auto-X'ing or track days there is no better car for the money. Drive one and you will learn to love them.
[post=497909]Quoted post[/post]​

Well budget is in mind here, I didn't really want to go over 6-7k when all is said and done.

Originally posted by NissanNiNjA2nd@May 11 2005, 09:05 PM
He drives like me...

LOL, hows the view of all us little people from way up there in the Ego clouds.

yeah its funny a friend i work with blew his lude so he needed a car to get to work and he just got a 90 mx-5. and at first i was like it kinda gay lookin but its real light and has potential. and ive always liked drivignthem in the video games so once i drove it i thought to myself im going to havbe to get one so i can start autox. and my gurl just got a delsol and thats a real fun drive around on a nice hot day tweak it a lil and race when it comes up but i dont see how you could compare the 2. im tryin to score one of each tho -< bad ass autoxer >-< bad ass turbo d >- :thumbsup: for both

Back