best value for money synthetic oil???? which

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

im currently usisng castrol formula rs10w 60 on my car,i used simply because i read somewhere thath bmw uses it for its e46 m3 and latest m5,if these cars roll off the factory with that ,then its gotta be decent...however looking at things critically,how good an oil is castrol formula rs,and which really is the best value for money oil out there???????

I used to run Castrol Syntec in my camry. I run Mobil 1 in the civic. I bought into that whole sales pitch that Castrol isn't a "true" synthetic because it's made from regular petroleum, where Mobil, Motul, and a few others are made from something else. Hell I dunno, I'm no chemical engineer, but like I said I get the Mobil 1 now. I think it's like 5 bucks a quart or something. I gotta change my oil soon.

mobile 1, then castrol syntec.

You can't go wrong with either one.

P.S. If the engineers at honda built the motor, and then recomended 5w30, don't you think that is what you should be using?

They designed it specifically for 5w30. Not 10w30 or 20w60. The tolerances are all spec'd to 5w30 oil. Use it.

my helms manual says its ok for 10w30, and for certain temp ranges actually recommends it...

Well i think PHREGOD has a point, have a look at this link http://asia.vtec.net/topics/oil1.html

assuming u've read the thread ,what weight is the formula RS10w60, i used the entry level castrol gtx 20w50,which is fuuly mineral and dirt cheap,HOWEVER i must say that i vaguely remember my car being more willing to rev on the previous 'dirt cheap' oil....

20w50 versus 10w60,after reading the article ,it seems im using a 'heavier' oil,,,

what are the differences between 20w50 and 10w60?,what exactly do these numbers mean?

what is the viscosity of mobil 1?,if its within the 10w 30 range then its the way to go

Quoted post[/post]]
Well i think PHREGOD has a point, have a look at this link http://asia.vtec.net/topics/oil1.html

assuming u've read the thread ,what weight is the formula RS10w60, i used the entry level castrol gtx 20w50,which is fuuly mineral and dirt cheap,HOWEVER i must say that i vaguely remember my car being more willing to rev on the previous 'dirt cheap' oil....

20w50 versus 10w60,after reading the article ,it seems im using a 'heavier' oil,,,

what are the differences between 20w50 and 10w60?,what exactly do these numbers mean?

what is the viscosity of mobil 1?,if its within the 10w 30 range then its the way to go

:wtf: ????????
those are all WAYYYY too fucking thick for a honda engine
those are close to the sludge you use in a fucking diesil truck engine (15w40)
most hondas use 5w30
several use 5w20
the insight uses 0w20

a lot of times honda puts the recommended oil right on the cap or on a sticker in the engine bay... worst case senario read the owners manual and it will be in there

mobil 1 has various oils ranging from 0w20 - 10w30

The only time I've ever used 15w40 or any really heavy weight oil is on the old 78 Chevy pickup I used to have that had a knock problem. The heavy weight oil pretty much silenced it for as long as I had it (2 years). You don't ever need to run heavy oil on a little 4 banger. 5W30 is all you should ever run. It has a low freezing point, lower than 10w30 anyway, and it's good up to like 105 degrees outside temperature. The only time you might need to run 10w30 is if you live somewhere extremely hot, like africa hot.

Quoted post[/post]]
The only time I've ever used 15w40 or any really heavy weight oil is on the old 78 Chevy pickup I used to have that had a knock problem. The heavy weight oil pretty much silenced it for as long as I had it (2 years). You don't ever need to run heavy oil on a little 4 banger. 5W30 is all you should ever run. It has a low freezing point, lower than 10w30 anyway, and it's good up to like 105 degrees outside temperature. The only time you might need to run 10w30 is if you live somewhere extremely hot, like africa hot.
Like Bakersfield hot..... if none of you know where Bakersfield is check this out... :laugh:

http://tapconsulting.com/bako/bako3.wmv

https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/asl.aspx
asl_qt_300pxh.jpg

AMSOIL 100% Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil (ASL)

thats what i recomend....with oem filter

Quoted post[/post]]

you don't even have to leave the country for that shit. It is hotter then that alot in the summer he in texas. Hell it is winter now and it was over 90 today......!!!!!!!

and i would say mobil 1 10w 30

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

you don't even have to leave the country for that shit. It is hotter then that alot in the summer he in texas. Hell it is winter now and it was over 90 today......!!!!!!!

and i would say mobil 1 10w 30

NO JOKE...dont get me wrong...it was hella cold at night, but i was wearing a wife beater and shorts all day.

yeah, i use 10w30 in my lude, and 10w40 in my protege, although the protege hasnt had an oil change in 3 years. I WILL KILL THIS CAR...THEN I HAVE TO GET MY LUDE FIXED

(logical thinking isnt it?)

I run Mobil 1 15w50 in the hatch all summer long, then switch to 5w30 in the winter.

If you go lapping a few times during the summer like me, or the drag strip even, 15w50 is the shit. Especially at crazy high temps.

Back