BIG TIME Electrical Problem help!!! Short??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

fabe85

i was driving and I smelt eggs. I pulled over to see my battery smoking.
SO I had to make it home. I kept driving and i started seeing sparks and smoke from gauge cluster and under dash fuse box.
I towed it home and replaced like 10 blown fuse.

I also had to change 3 under food fuse. Well i bought and new battery, and now notthing cut ons. only oil light. notthing on dash and no start or crank.
my windows is down and i can't close em. I ran the 12v and ground manualy to the door harness and the driver window is acting wierd. It won't go up but i can put up the passenger window.

I think i got a major short. I put a test light on the bat negative and connect positive to bat and light stays on. i pulled all the fuses, and light dosen't go off.
what else can i check? PLZ HELP!!

You burnt your entire car's wiring harness. Tracing that down is going to be hard. I suggest getting an entire new engine harness and underdash harness. My friend had a similar thing happen in his prelude.
You're lucky your car didn't start on fire.
Lot of work ahead man, good luck.

LOL
wow, thanks
good thing i bought a wrecked EK coupe. I';; be swapping out the whole dash and wiring harness.
Is the swap a long process.
Also is it nessary to swap the ignition switch and floor harness.

Also i swear the car was gonna catch a fire.
What could i do to prevent this from happeneing agian.
The car ran fine, just out of nowhere, the battery was giving off smoke- smelling like rotten eggs.
could my altenator started this??

I don't know how it happened but I think that continuing to drive it was a big mistake. You say you had to make it home but you should have assumed the car would not have even made it.

What modifications have you done to the electrical system?

seriously, you had a major short goin through that thing if half the stuff in your car doesnt work (meaning the wires are probably melted now and grounding out).

Back