Bike I painted in February

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tab

Super Moderator
I never posted the pics of my friend Mitch's bike. If you look at the pics, you will see him on it, not me. I wish it was mine.
He wanted to paint it flat black, retro, with flames. He built this bike by hand, over about a year's time, to the tune of $20,000. I was like "Oh hell no, we gotta do something special." Keep in mind, painting is just a hobby to me, but I wanted a challenge.
Even the paint shop couldn't tell me how to apply this paint, at least not clearly. They only had a Vague idea.

House of Kolor, black pearl base, silver marbelizer, three coats of Cobalt blue in an "intercoat", and seven coats of straight clear.
-cost? About $400, total, including all supplies(paper,tape,primer,bondo)

I started with rough bare metal, and the body work took two weeks!!!!

spray time, 2 hrs.

I encourage everyone to give it a shot(using the right tools and research).

West Coast Chopper Baby!!!!! 2 pages.

nice marble. ive painted tons of stuff and experimented a lot but i havent ever tried marblizing anything. i came up with a super sweet looking woodgrain look though.

the marbelizer is kick ass, but I think it would be too much on a car. I wanna paint my classic in a similar style, using the same supplies, but no marble effect. You get the marble from, get this, cling wrap. High tech ghetto shit there.

yeah i know. i cant imagine using that much plastic on car witin the 3 minutes of spraying your basecoat trying to get the right look.
EDIT: did you use the HOK clear too?

that is one badass paint job on that bike. your friend should add a fatter tire/rim out back and rake the forks more. other than that it definately gets a :thumbsup: from me!!

Live in Washington, 42 Degree Rake on the Bars,

HOK clear. I've used several different brands in the past. I liked this one the best(for an amateur.)

First three coats of clear were during first spray session. Instructions were mint. They said, wet sand 500 grit within 45 minutes of spraying again, after x amount of dry time(about a day). Use this much more catalyst, and this much more thinner, for better layout on last coats. Awesome. Never seen that on a can before.

Originally posted by tab@Dec 31 2003, 01:22 AM
Live in Washington, 42 Degree Rake on the Bars,

HOK clear. I've used several different brands in the past. I liked this one the best(for an amateur.)

First three coats of clear were during first spray session. Instructions were mint. They said, wet sand 500 grit within 45 minutes of spraying again, after x amount of dry time(about a day). Use this much more catalyst, and this much more thinner, for better layout on last coats. Awesome. Never seen that on a can before.

i have never had good experiances with HOK clear, id over-reduce it and it would still orange peel like a mother fucker so i would resort to PPG clear. maybe i had a bad batch :shrug2:

maybe I had a good one. In my experience, I'd rather go heavy and buff out a couple runs, than orange peel a whole car. I saw a local Del Sol in lime green that was done with PPG. No doubt the paint was high quality, but the job was the worst I've ever seen. Felt like sandpaper.

People are funny. They ask how much to paint my car? I'm the kind of person that practically does shit for free. I didn't charge my buddy for that paint job. When I told this kid that I'd shoot his shitty green car for him if he got it ready, he didn't even want to. Stupid.

i love spraying. i wish id come across a few jobs because i havent shot a drop out of my gun for almost a year.

do you guys like rent booths or how does that work? what all is involves? how much is the equiptment? i'm pretty interested in this. it'd be a good thing to learn. can you guys give me some more info please? thanks a lot.

decent gun, HVLP, mine was $150, they can be less or more, depending on quality.

air water seperator/pressure regulator, sears model, $50? same deal.

compressor of decent quality, mine was 400.

Average two cartridge mask, $25, replacement cartridges(six hours of use), $12

As long as you have a shop/garage/room that is large enough, you can line it with plastic. Exhaust fans are good. If you do not have a nice heated space, summer is your bitch.

I decided, when I painted my truck as my first project, that I wanted to learn. I did a fiberglass body kit, fender vents, hood scoop, filled body lines, racing stripes, etc. You get the picture. All the supplies and paint cost me about 900-1000, starting from scratch. At that point, I wanted to be set up, and would rather fuck up than pay someone else >$3000 for the same job.
Yeah, I made a lot of mistakes, and learned.

The first is the very worst, and I am proud of every job I've done since then. Well worth it to me.

where do you get the equiptment/paint? are there any places that have maybe a tutorial or something of the sort? thanks again for all the info.

Ask your closest body shop where they get their supplies. They may order PPG paint, but I'd almost guarantee there is a shop nearby that sells car paint/supplies. My local is House of Color, not to be confused with House of Kolor the brand.

However, check this out:
House of Kolor

Also, the Library has several books. Don't overthink shit. There are ways around almost everything. You can use newspaper to mask, plastic to make a clean room, single use air water seperators, cheap wal-mart HVLP guns, and a decent small compressor to begin with. Just don't rush the prep work, and mix properly. Follow directions. It's fun, and a worthy hobby.

The difference in the paint from sunlight to dark is huge. Looks almost black at night, vibrant blue during sun, and highlighted in cloudy weather. Candy coating kicks ass. Like the XXX car. The bike looks way better in person, for sure. Thanx everybody for the compliments.

painting is a great trade to learn...iv been practicing/expermenting for a few years now and many people offer me jobs to paint their misc.

Back