Blackberry?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dustin_m

My contract with AT&T is up on my phone so I can either upgrade to a new phone with a new contract or switch carriers if i want. I've looked at other companies, but I really don't like most of their phones. When I was in the ATT store the other day paying my bill, I checked out the Blackberry 8800 and really liked it. I have been wanting to get a better phone for a while, but I'm not feeling the Iphone or the other phones out there that are focused more on media and texting crap. I really liked the GPS capabilities of the blackberry, and the interface adn all that. The only other one I saw that was decent was the Samsung Blackjack, but i wasn't too fond of the Microsoft interface, and the little ball/joystick thing that the blackberry has is cool.

So who here has a blackberry or similar phone, and what do you think of it?

oh yea, right now the 8800 is $149 with the 2 year contract, and the Blackjack is 99 w/ contract. I also checked otu the website and they have the refurb 880 for 99.

The ONLY other Blackberry I would own right now is the 8800. That's the international model, correct? Hell, I'm still happy with my 7520. I got it for free, so that's one of the reasons and I have a spare back up...not to mention four freakin' extended batteries. haha My girlfriends dad really likes me for some odd reason. He has the 8800 I believe, if not the newest one (internation model) and that's really nice. I couldn't switch to anything else but a PDA phone nowadays. It's too easy to e-mail and stay updated this way. If you can get it for that cheap, why not go with the refurbished 8800? That seems like a SWEET deal to me.

I'm with Nextel/Sprint and the thing about them is that they offer free incoming calls. I talk a lot so it's worth it to me. Some people hate them and me, well I'm a poor man, so I'm not complaining.

i have the blackberry 8810 and really like it. i got mine from amazon about 3 months ago. it was free after rebates. only cost $100 out of pocket but got a card back for $100.

I'm not really too interested in changing carriers. Yea, there's been times I get frustrated as hell w/ att, but i'm sure that's going to be the same with any company. Right now, I get a 19% discount on my bill and the small extra I pay every month for the Nights&Weekends to start at 7pm instead of 9 makes my minutes work out great. I have a shitload of the roll-over anytime minutes built up because I don't use them much at all.

Overall ATT has taken care of me pretty well. I do get dead zones at times, but friends who have other carriers have told me they have just as many but in different areas.

I have Sprint and Verizon. With my Sprint account I have the Mogul by HTC. Its like the iphone on steroids. With verizon, I have the Palm Treo 700w. That one is a little old but works great. Very similiar to the Blackberry. I like the windows style layout on the Mogul best though. They didn't give me a deal on the Mogul after 30 minutes of persuasion I got a woman of Indian decent on the phone to hear "No sir we cannot upgrade you at this time". So I paid $588.00 out the door and ended up with a monthly bill increase of $30 + taxes due to the unlimitted data plan I upgraded to. :(

i have the blackberry 8810 and really like it. i got mine from amazon about 3 months ago. it was free after rebates. only cost $100 out of pocket but got a card back for $100.
Did you have to sign a contract or was it an unlocked phone?

So I just checked Amazon and I will get $75 bucks to buy the 8310. It costs $0.01 and you get $75 back, hah. Anyone ever tried out this model?

So I just checked Amazon and I will get $75 bucks to buy the 8310. It costs $0.01 and you get $75 back, hah. Anyone ever tried out this model?
my bad, i meant to say 8310 not the 8810. it was time to renew my contract with at&t. amazon actually contracts through all the providers. it's very easy to do and the customer support from amazon is great. the 8310 treats me pretty well. the battery lasts forever, texting and email is easy. the internet kinda sucks though. it's not a full internet like the iphone, but it's pretty good. it's about as fast as dial up, maybe a little faster. i don't use the gps though, i just use google maps. it's free.

i also got a rubber case and extra charger for like $15.

How much is the Telenav service per month?
I don't know what the telenav is, but the gps is $10. i don't know if it is different or not. i have 900 minutes, unlimited data and text, and emergency roadside and i pay about $110/month. shit's expensive.

telenav is expensive and junk. google maps uses the phones GPS and it is free.
do you have the google maps? i downloaded it to my phone but never used it. i didn't know if it incurred any charges. there is always the disclaimer that it may incur fees, but i haven't found any info on it.

AT&T ftw ... my mom works for them so we get lots of free phones to test out ...

IMO ...

Blackjacks are a waste of your money. They arejust awkward and there are better phones out there haha.

My mom and dad both have black berries my dad has the 2nd newest model (idk what it is) and my mom is running the newest one. My parents love there blackberries and have been using them for some time now.

have you looked into Palm phones? My sister got one ... they are pretty sweet :)

So the Google maps for the phone actually uses the GPS? I was assuming it was just the same as using it on a computer.

it uses your blackberry's built in GPS. its really accurate, but at times can be a bit slow.

i just got charged $10 for telenav. not sure what it is, but i'm annoyed. it might have to do with the google i dl'd. i'll let you know after i call at&t.

Back