Block Filling

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

K2e2vin

http://www.homemadeturbo.com/forum/index.p...99050#msg399050

i stumble across this when looking for the block posting article. what do you guys think? to me it sounds like a fill-in block guard.
also, some tuners when they hone the block, they put a rig that simulates as if the head was bolted and torque down because the cylinders arent actually round. well if you were to fill a block without using that rig, wouldnt that mean the cylinders have to be re-honed after filling?

Interesting.

Yes, if you did fill the block without anything on it to put pressure on the sleeve, you'd want to match bore it again. I think you'd want to bore the block if you did anything that had a chance of screwing with the bore shape.

i might try my idea i posted over there when i rebuild my D16A6(whenever i get some money), if it fucks up its only a D. :p

I really like idea of block filling I am interested to see how it turns out.

Originally posted by K2e2vin@Jan 30 2005, 07:50 PM
http://www.homemadeturbo.com/forum/index.p...99050#msg399050

i stumble across this when looking for the block posting article. what do you guys think? to me it sounds like a fill-in block guard.
also, some tuners when they hone the block, they put a rig that simulates as if the head was bolted and torque down because the cylinders arent actually round. well if you were to fill a block without using that rig, wouldnt that mean the cylinders have to be re-honed after filling?
[post=453548]Quoted post[/post]​

It's called torque plate honing, done by V8 guys for years to simulate a head being bolted to the block.

Filling? Filling what? The water passage? Where does the water go then?

Remember, your block is not cast iron and it's not solid deck either. Where do you think the cooling is going to go?

well no if you filled it then used a good stone hone you should be fine ive done it a couple of times now and why does your buddie have a filled motor> a big block is a solid top

Originally posted by AllMotorMonster@Feb 3 2005, 10:56 PM

Remember, your block is not cast iron and it's not solid deck either. Where do you think the cooling is going to go?

im guessing you didnt read the link. it doesnt fill the water passage all the way, just the top or middle part, the same way that AEBS and GE Sleeves use those "decks". Thats why they fill it with salt first. the salt is removed after the filling dries up and the holes are also drilled.

Originally posted by K2e2vin+Feb 4 2005, 05:17 AM-->
AllMotorMonster
@Feb 3 2005, 10:56 PM

im guessing you didnt read the link. it doesnt fill the water passage all the way, just the top or middle part, the same way that AEBS and GE Sleeves use those "decks". Thats why they fill it with salt first. the salt is removed after the filling dries up and the holes are also drilled.
[post=456259]Quoted post[/post]​

No, I don't read about conjecture from some obscure internet site with self-taught e-mechanics.

AEBS? GE? "Those" decks????? What exactly are you referring to? Deckplate honing?

Salt? Who told you SALT was used to fill the water passage of an aluminum block when doing any mods....????

Do you know what salt does to aluminum?

Ok, sitting here thinking about this a couple of things come to mind... so I'm going to call

BULLSHIT

Let's look at the facts.

You say - they only fill it 1/2 way -

I say - You'd be closing off the drain plug in the front of the block
#1 bullshit

You say - They fill it with salt first

I say - You're full of shit, salt for what? If you put salt in first, where does the filling go?
#2 bullshit

You say - It won't effect cooling

I say - Honda's have ENOUGH problems cooling Turbo'd engines as it is. This would be making it worse.
#3 bullshit

You want me to "Believe it", show me PROOF!! not heresay and conjecture.

theres proof thats its already been done, if you checked out the link you wouldve saw it:
devcon.jpg

Sure its safe and its not to hard. The best way to do it is when the block is out of the car. You will need to fill 1/2 to 3/4 of the coolant jacket up with Salt (you dont want block filler at the bottom of the sleeve otherwise the pump wont flow any coolant) Basically the salt just acts as a temporary base. Then dump in your epoxy/block filler shit, I'd probably fill it up about 5mm under neith the top of the deck. Let it dry for a good 24hours. Then drill holes in the block filler to match the head gasket (for coolant flow) Remove the drain plug on the front side of the block and flush all the salt out. It's really better to have the block out for this so you can get all the salt out, and do it with the water pump off.

dont pay much attention to that guy.......i think he just likes to rip on people because he thinks he knows it all......

Originally posted by formby+Feb 7 2005, 11:03 AM-->
dont pay much attention to that guy.......i think he just likes to rip on people because he thinks he knows it all......
[post=457411]Quoted post[/post]​

And you're still an idiot.

On to kevin... Ok I see what you're talking about now, it's basically a block guard using epoxy.

K2e2vin
@Feb 7 2005, 09:30 AM
and the "decks" i was referring to is this:
tsleeves.jpg

[post=457390]Quoted post[/post]​

HOWEVER....

The sleeves above are completely different from what you posted. I sincerly hope that you guys don't think that this epoxy mod is in any way or form near the strength that AEBS, Dart or Bensons provides for boosted engines.....

If you do, you will be sadly mistaken and most likely end up with a busted block.

you are a fucking loser, you have the JDM and expensive is better syndrome. you need to pull your head out of your ass and realize nothing would be that way it is right now with out testing and taking risks.
now, go jump off a cliff

I bet there would be problems with piston to wall clearance when the motor started to heat up. I'm sure that "filler" doesnt expand at the same rate as the rest of the motor.

Originally posted by racintweek@Feb 9 2005, 05:26 AM
you are a fucking loser, you have the JDM and expensive is better syndrome. you need to pull your head out of your ass and realize nothing would be that way it is right now with out testing and taking risks.
now, go jump off a cliff
[post=458468]Quoted post[/post]​

How is a California based machine shop JDM?! :wtf2:

Originally posted by AllMotorMonster@Feb 6 2005, 09:34 PM

No, I don't read about conjecture from some obscure internet site with self-taught e-mechanics.

[post=457226]Quoted post[/post]​

that is the comment that i was referring to, if he is too much of an asshat to read about something other than the norm or think about things in a differnt way then what i said was right on target

i apologize for everyone who thinks there is another way to do something, we must be morons

Back