Blow Off Valve Sound

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

When I switch gears, and once I get into the next gear, the blow off valve sounds gets cut off. Is that normal? In videoclips, I hear the full sound of the blow off valve. With mine, when I shift, you hear the blow off valve but once I get into the next gear, it goes away. So if I shift quick, you only hear it for half a second or so.
_______

Check your blow off valve adjustment. Your BOV is probably set to "Hard" which means that you have to rev it really high to hear the full sound. My Greddy type-s bov adjusts by turning a screw.

indeed, that would be true especially with a smaller turbo and/or low boost levels. Not as much pressure would build up, and if the BOV is set too tight it will shut early.

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Aug 20 2003, 02:43 PM
indeed, that would be true especially with a smaller turbo and/or low boost levels. Not as much pressure would build up, and if the BOV is set too tight it will shut early.

How do you loosen it? Tighten the screw or is it the other way around? I have a vortech bov that came with the kit. Thanks.

Originally posted by import_racer@Aug 20 2003, 02:10 PM
When I switch gears, and once I get into the next gear, the blow off valve sounds gets cut off. Is that normal? In videoclips, I hear the full sound of the blow off valve. With mine, when I shift, you hear the blow off valve but once I get into the next gear, it goes away. So if I shift quick, you only hear it for half a second or so.
_______

That would be normal. See, the BOV only opens when your throttle is closed and your manifold is in vacuum. Once you get to the next gear and crack the throttle, the BOV closes. These other guys are right, but they're not on the right track to answering your problem.

Back