1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bonehead move of the day(by me anyway)

Discussion in 'Auto Multi-Media' started by SlushboxTeggy, Sep 1, 2009.

1. SlushboxTeggy

SlushboxTeggy It's only stupid if it doesn't work VIP

Driving to get my car inspected(yea really) I get a CEL and the car starts running rough. I pull over. Happen to have a paper clip. Flash it. Get the code, 74. Look it up(thank you Blackberry). 74-Random misfire. Cool, at least I can drive it home. Stop off at the parts store and pick up new wires and plugs to hopefully fix it. Get home. Get my ratchet. Pop the hood. Go to replace the first wire and plug. Hey, why is this plug not connected to the cap? Shit. I'm a dumbass. Reconnect it. Turn key. Car runs perfect. Shit. I'm a dumbass.

Great way to go from great mood to pissed off right back to laughing great mood though.

And as a side note, I had a 18" Cherry Bomb Glasspack and Cherry Bomb Turbo muffler installed yesterday. Very pleased. Best set-up I've had on the car yet. Louder than stock but almost no resonance at any speed. At idle I need to shut off my music to hear it at all. Let's just hope it's still quiet enough to pass inspection.

2. 95b16coupe

95b16coupe New Member

great story. lol

3. INJEN78

INJEN78 HS LEGEND

lol good shit..atleast it was a free and easy fix..

4. DESPAIN

DESPAIN yep....mmhhm.......yep...

new wires&plugs are never un-needed items to have.

5. SlushboxTeggy

Yea I'm not going to return them. I was just pissed because I did a full tune-up(new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and fuel filter) within the last 6 months. Happy that the parts weren't complete crap.

Only reason I actually had an idea of what was wrong because the same thing happened to me in HS like 3 months after I bought the car(over 6 years ago, shit I'm old). Dropped 2 cylinders back then so it was real rough. Only one today. Paid for a tow and a tune up back then(I thought the timing belt snapped). Free fix today. You live and you learn. Well, some people just live I guess.

6. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

hopefully it is still that quiet after a 2-3000 miles...

7. double0Si

double0Si ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) VIP

Lucky you. Last time I had a random missfire it was due to a couple broken valves and a blown head gasket... Lame. I'm still recovering from that financial hit.

8. SlushboxTeggy

I hope. But if anyone wanted to know, this set-up passes NJ inspection without any kind of silencer. Don't have to worry about that now for 2 more years.

9. beewanna

beewanna New Member

dood! i woulda totally pissed off, mostly cuz i would've been like, " how the hell am i gonna read this code!" hahaha... i suck... great story though!

10. SlushboxTeggy

I was 99.9% that it was misfiring, just figured I would check it to be 100%.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted