Boost on h22 sleeves

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

powerdriverh22

On honda-tech there has been a big discussion about mahle pistons in the h22 stock sleeves and i wanted to check and see if anyone on here has had luck with mahle gold series pistons or the weisco pistons. I want to boost my h22 but i know that the pistons, rod bolts and ring lands are the weak links in the h22 motors. Anyone help me out on the subject?

I'm in the same boat as you. Next year hopefully I want to boost the H22, and I'm looking for the same answers. What I've found out so far is that if you go with 9.1 forged pistons you have to re-sleeve, but I'm not sure about the pistons your asking about. I would like to not spend the money on having to re-sleeve, but I know that our H22's with stock internals cannot handle alot of boost. I'm planning on getting new rods, retainers, springs, valves and pistons, but I'm not sure what kind of pistons and if I can avoid re-sleeving then great, but I don't want to take a chance.

A set of 4 JE pistons is a lil under 500 and 4 eagle H beams are a lil over 300.

We do sleeving but havent done it for an H22, so i dont know what the cost would be. Especially since you basically have to bore out the FRM sleeves.

yeah...let us know how it works out for you.

all of you should check out the tread on honda-tech.com in the forced induction section. there are a few guys running the gold series mahle pistons with eagle rods and making 400+ hp on their stock sleeves. H22 motors are still good candidates for boost if you change out the pistons, rods and rod bolts (arp). from my research there are ppl out there doing it. I just wanted to see if there was anyone on here who has installed the mahle gold series.

I have heard the frm sleeve story over and over again. I know what they are, etc. I know enough about them already. So all i am really looking for is if someone has worked with these pistons in an h22 with stock sleeves. Honda put the frm sleeves in these motors to make them stronger. They are not nearly as strong as ductile iron obviously or everyone and their brother would have them. They are strong under low boost levels (from my research). when stock h22s blow up it is usualy a rod bolt that broke, a piston cracked or a ring land f*cked up. I have yet to see an h22 on boost that cracked a frm sleeve.

thats because most people have the foresite to sleeve their block. but you are right usually its compression loss or a broken rod bolt (in my H23's case)

i think i saw that someone made it that far without a problem...i havent heard of any failing, but thats the longest ive heard that anyone has ran with them.

Quoted post[/post]]
thats because most people have the foresite to sleeve their block. but you are right usually its compression loss or a broken rod bolt (in my H23's case)

NOOOOO...you need to learn how to read. I said stock sleeves. not ductile iron sleeves. stock frm sleeves. read the thread if you dont believe me. Again they are making 400hp with mahle pistons, eagle rods and STOCK FRM SLEEVES!!! I know that the thing to do is to get rid of the retchsome ed frm sleeves and get some freakin nice ductile iron sleeves. i think most h22 owners who have done much research on boosting their motors. Im not trying to be an asshole, i just dont think you understand where im going with this post.

i know exactly where you are going with the thread, but i just know people that have done 10-20k miles on ductile sleeves with JE pistons. i dont know anyone who has done that with mahle, and i have never heard of anyone making it past 5k.

And i wasnt knocking the sleeves in my post...i was agreeing with you. The sleeves are not the weak link in the H22s design.

Quoted post[/post]]
i know exactly where you are going with the thread, but i just know people that have done 10-20k miles on ductile sleeves with JE pistons. i dont know anyone who has done that with mahle, and i have never heard of anyone making it past 5k.

And i wasnt knocking the sleeves in my post...i was agreeing with you. The sleeves are not the weak link in the H22s design.

good deal. Ya as thus far ive not seen anyone put any real miles on the mahle pistons.

Back