Bought a netbook

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Matts96HB

VIP
Asus Eee PC 1015PN. Slick little machine. This will be used for school only, toting my G73 around is just too much work and worry. Currently uninstalling the bloatware that it comes with (damn you, Asus!).

Specs in case you're THAT bored:
Intel Dual Core Atom N550 (1.5GHz)
1 GB DDR3 RAM expandable to 2GB (likely upgrade)
250GB HDD
NVIDIA Ion Graphics
Windows 7 Starter :thumbsdown: but not such a bad thing since I use free programs for word processing, note taking, creating presentations, etc.

I got it in white. :)
$298 shipped to my door from tigerdirect. Whadya think?

I think its going to work out perfect for note taking and classwork. Hell, even my on-campus classes have online classrooms where most of the assignments are posted. I'm constantly on the computer at school, and the school's computers are terrible.
I just need to find a case for it so it doesn't get damaged in my book bag. That is my only concern at this point.

When my Acer finally craps out which its close to doing I will be getting an Asus. There are some nice padded form fitting cases that you can find on Amazon.

When my Acer finally craps out which its close to doing I will be getting an Asus. There are some nice padded form fitting cases that you can find on Amazon.

found a couple cases that im interested in, i just hope theyre tough enough to protect this thing from the heavy ass books in my backpack.

im really impressed with this netbook so far. the battery life is great, the case hides fingerprints fairly well (in white, at least), its quick to load webpages and videos, sound could use some help but i really cant be too picky, plays HD video surprisingly well! definitely worth the $$$.

no, stil two cores, just higher clock speed on the 1.66

meeh, as long as it makes you happy =)

personally i wouldve gotten a netbook with amd's new fusion apu, brazo. its a good 10-40% faster depending on what you want to do, and the integrated graphics just thumps on the gma3150. plus it accelerates (able to play) HD material like blu-ray and flash. all this with the same battery life as the atom.

AnandTech - The Brazos Review: AMD's E-350 Supplants ION for mini-ITX

but then again, its around $50-100 more so i dont know if its worth it to you. i would say yes because it makes the netbook much more viable for a longer time especially with the amount of HD x264 material around and you can even game casually on it.

anyway, i would throw 2gb in there stat. windows 7 loves 2gb much much more than 1gb. its like night and day.

$50-$100 wouldve put me outside of my budget. I set a strict budget for this and I wasnt going to go over. lol i always find myself saying "well why not just spend the extra $100, and get something nicer"
and I always end up doing that 3 or 4 times until I have bought something twice the amount I originally intended on spending.

the RAM upgrade is going to happen soon. Ive been looking for a 2gb stick, but im not honestly sure which to go with

EDIT: this is also merely for school use. its nothing more. i have my Asus G73h for gaming/movies/etc.

=) like i said, as long as youre happy with it. and truth, i always do that with only $50 more, then it becomes $200 more lol.

as for so-dimm, theyre pretty all the same. you aint gonna overclock them and most of the time their either going to be Nanya, Samsung or Micron based anyway. I would however, buy according to companies with the best customer support. For RAM companines, I like: Crucial, Kingston and Corsair. Have great support and very well established that will be around for a while ^_-. Oh yeah, dont worry about buying higher rated modules because the BIOS will automatically downlock them. Just dont buy slower than rated.

For example, if you can get DDR3-1333 for cheaper than DDR3-800, then get DDR3-1333 because BIOS will adjust them down to DDR3-800. However, if you get DDR3-667, most laptops wont allow you to clock them up to DDR3-800 even though you can probably run them at that speed and you'll lose out on performance.

Back