Blow off Valve Comparison

• TURBO XS TYPE RFL

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GREDDY TYPE-RS

• A

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

its close

169.gif

t04b_large.jpg

Isn't the HKS's "signature" sound that of a baby seal being clubbed to death?

Most of the guys with WRX's that I hang out with use either Turbo XS, or Go Fast Bits BOVs. One of them bought a HKS SSQ, and hated every minute of it. It leaked boost, sounded like an Icelandic fishing expedition (see above), and was wayyyyy too expensive for what you got. I honestly don't know why it's so bad - HKS being good and all.

So yeah, Turbo XS, or GFB. Both can be setup to be atmospheric, recirc, or both. FYI.

on a honda, there is no need to re-circulate it. the re-circluation is mostly for MAF equipped cars. we have MAPs so its not needed.

Quoted post[/post]]
on a honda, there is no need to re-circulate it. the re-circluation is mostly for MAF equipped cars. we have MAPs so its not needed.
An adjustable valve might be nice, though, if say....you're getting tired of a full 100% atmospheric, or maybe your girlfriend's mom is in the car, and you don't want her asking if there's an air leak every time you shift. :mrgreen:

Quoted post[/post]]
Isn't the HKS's "signature" sound that of a baby seal being clubbed to death?

Most of the guys with WRX's that I hang out with use either Turbo XS, or Go Fast Bits BOVs. One of them bought a HKS SSQ, and hated every minute of it. It leaked boost, sounded like an Icelandic fishing expedition (see above), and was wayyyyy too expensive for what you got. I honestly don't know why it's so bad - HKS being good and all.

So yeah, Turbo XS, or GFB. Both can be setup to be atmospheric, recirc, or both. FYI.

. . . its gotta be a matter of peronal taste. Most nissan people use HKS stuff like its their job . . . the last 240 meet i went to EVERYBODY w/an SR swap had the HKS SSQV, and an Apex Exhaust lol.

Quoted post[/post]]
An adjustable valve might be nice, though, if say....you're getting tired of a full 100% atmospheric, or maybe your girlfriend's mom is in the car, and you don't want her asking if there's an air leak every time you shift. :mrgreen:
Who cares?!? :shrug2: Explain to them what the damn noise is and thats that. I mean shit, if you gotta tone down the sound of your BOV each time your girls mom is in the car thats retarted just because you dont want them asking what that noise is, C'mon!! No need to change anything because of a curious person with a simple question.

IMO, HKS is over-priced, and underperformanced.

sr20's are garbage too. :p

its all about the rb y0

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Who cares?!? :shrug2: Explain to them what the damn noise is and thats that. I mean shit, if you gotta tone down the sound of your BOV each time your girls mom is in the car thats retarted just because you dont want them asking what that noise is, C'mon!! No need to change anything because of a curious person with a simple question.
Chill man, that was said kind of tongue-in-cheek. I'm just sayin, you might get tired of the baby seal clubbing sound (as it was so eloquently put above) for whatever reason, and want to tone it down. Personally, I dislike most of the BOV sounds out there. My stocker BPV does just fine for me.

What the hell does it sound like when you club a baby seal to death??

I suppose I need to get an HKS bov and find out... That is a very odd comparison.

The report is like a broken canned-air horn. Literally sounds like a baby seal being hit with some blunt object. Turbo did a review on BOV a long while back - I believe thats where the sound originated from. Heard it in person, and knew exactly what they were talking about.

i personally like the greddy type s, haven't heard anyhting about the rs though. i have had mine for almost two years and haven't had a problem yet. but if you like the sound but don't like the price you can get a knock off on ebay for around $70. a friend of mine has one of those and it looks, performs and sound identical with the exception of saying greddy on it. we even took it apart and compared the two, looked the same to me. so if you want to save about 100 buy the knock off.

i myself, am partial to the 1g dsm bov... durable construction and jdm looks make it a crowd favorite time after time.

Quoted post[/post]]
i myself, am partial to the 1g dsm bov... durable construction and jdm looks make it a crowd favorite time after time.

I'd agree, it's holding 20 lbs of boost as we speak and costed me all of 20 dollars.

Back