Breaking in Motor (SEARCHED)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Luded

I know this is a very controversial topic, but i want to do this right because i'm not gunna have the money to fix my mistakes :cry: . What is the best or recommended way to break in a used motor from japan? Ive done a lot of reading on this topic and their are so many ways people say. 1 there is the way honda says to ex break it in slowly 2 motorman says to break it in fast kinda like the drive it like u race it option. I was wondering which ways you previous h22 swapers broke yours in. Also a question regarding tuning of the motor when installed. my mechanic is installing the motor at his house so will i be safe to have it installed and next day drive it to a shop to get it tuned and checked?

well the motor is used .. therefore broken in already.. dont see why you would need to break it in .. unless its been freshly rebuilt

After installing a new motor in my civic, I kept it under 3K for 500 miles, and kept it gentle until a grand went by...

You should be okay, as long as you have the timing somewhat roughly set, and drive it directly to the shop.

My $.02

used= already broken in...stand on that focker!

well it depends.. if you put in a new clutch and/or flywheel i would break it in for around 1000 miles. Just to be safe :)

Warm it up, then stand on it.......

yeah, its broken in unless freshly rebuilt. If you replaced the clutch give it about a thousand. After that youll be good.

If you rebuilt the engine, you should give it 3k. God im gonna hate rebuilding mine.

pretty much when you unplug and replug ur ecu it will take around a week to learn your driving and figure itself how to function the best depending on how you drive. when i got mine swapped it had roughly 30k. and your supposed to drive it like you stole it, if your intending on going fast and your car running fairly good.

my .2 cents as well

Thanks guys. I think im gunna go with the warm it up and stand on it approach but with a somewhat gentle approach well 1st ill see what my mechanic says Monday lol. The clutch going in it is used also so ill just be a lil gentle till everything is rolling properly again. thanks again

Quoted post[/post]]
pretty much when you unplug and replug ur ecu it will take around a week to learn your driving and figure itself how to function the best depending on how you drive. when i got mine swapped it had roughly 30k. and your supposed to drive it like you stole it, if your intending on going fast and your car running fairly good.

my .2 cents as well

very much agree ....... you ECU does read your driving habits...therefore, you need 2 drive that bitch like you wanna blow it up for a little bit then after about a cople of days or so, you can take it easy. and as far as breaking your motor in....lets be real man, just cuz the motor sat for years dosent mean it looses the 30,000 or 40,000 miles that was already put on it

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

my .2 cents as well

very much agree ....... you ECU needs to learn your driving habits...therefore, you need 2 drive that bitch like you wanna blow it up for a little bit then after about a cople of days or so, you can take it easy. and as far as breaking your motor in....lets be real man, just cuz the motor sat for years dosent mean it looses the 30,000 or 40,000 miles that was already put on it
you both have got to be fucking shitting me? :blink: learn your driving habits? bwuahahaha stay the fuck away from building motors... if you want an educated response on engine break in, read this...

http://importbuilders.com/breakinarticle.htm

That site has some of the best tuning advice i have ever seen. If you are wondering how to tune an engine and keep it running forever, check out the rest of those articles. A LOT OF GOOD ADVICE.

Quoted post[/post]]
That site has some of the best tuning advice i have ever seen. If you are wondering how to tune an engine and keep it running forever, check out the rest of those articles. A LOT OF GOOD ADVICE.
yes, Jeff has some of the best info on his site. A lot of it is common knowledge for the most part assuming you understand how motor works and operates. I just can't believe those 2 who posted above me actually think that your ecu "learns your driving" :blink: what a crock of shit. and to think they probably give this false info out to others.

Quoted post[/post]]
it does to an extent, but i-vtec that information is almost worthy.
the ecu does NOT "learn" your driving at all, to any extent. you can ask all the mods and admins if you like if you don't believe me.

The K Series ECU's don't "learn habits" either, the ECU adjust cam timing while your driving depending on throttle position, rpm speed, things of that nature. It does not learn shit.

you both have got to be fucking shitting me? :blink: learn your driving habits? bwuahahaha stay the fuck away from building motors... if you want an educated response on engine break in, read this...

http://importbuilders.com/breakinarticle.htm

well someone here is a fuckin ediot....we wont say any names (B16RacerN2NR)...before u start posting sites to try to disprove someones knoweldge...you might wanna take the time to read what the fuck ur posting...

the site you posted about breaking engines in has to do with NEW engnies either rebuilt or fresh from the factory. theres not one article about breaking in or running USED motors on that site at all. and last time i checked u dumb shit, nobody said they were building or rebuilding an engine. the kid who posted this topic CLEARLY said he has a USED JDM motor and im pretty sure he didnt rebuild it or change anything internal.

since you can read..let me cut and past SOME of the topics that YOUR refered site talks about:

1)I got a <span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">brand new block/engine </span>and I want to break it in properly. What should I do first?

2)I got a <span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%">brand new block</span>, fully built and its burning a lot of oil, WHY?

3)You got advice from your engine builder, but don't take it and listen to your buddy who thinks he knows better, or your local shop.

......this whole site has to do with REBUILT engines. not USED JDM engines. so before u start discrediting others advice and making yourself look like an ediot. id suggest you read before u post.

oh and by the way....you ecu does read your driving habbits...which is why there are sensors that report back information to your ECU. if that was the case then there would be no need for O2 sensors or map sensors or temp sensors or especially knock sensors that throw your whole damn car into a open loop mode when activated. last time i check, these sensors are Reactive sensors and respond to actions that you engine produces and they DO not reset themselves, therefore if a sensor in a car is sending back information the the ecu dosent recognize...the ECU will try to react to that by compensating something like fuel, timing, air, etc. many people especially factory boosted cars have this problems like SRT4's and WRX's, ask anyone who has one of those vehicles and adds mods to try to increase the amout of boost with a stock ECU. in the beginning, when u reset the ECU the car will let you run the boost YOU have it set at but eventually the ECU will counter-react that boost PSi and will think there is an OVERBOOST situation and will reduce it back to its regualy boost PSI.

you sir are a retard. Yeah no one said anything about a new motor so therefore "breaking in" a used motor is obsolete(sp?) I posted that article to show that "breaking in" a motor has nothing to do with how many miles you put on it.

I will say this again, you ECU does NOT "LEARN" a damn thing. Yes you are correct, those sensors report back to the ECU and it makes the adjustments when needed but how the fuck does that make your ECU learn habits? So your telling me that if you have a habit of taking your motor to 5k in first gear all the time, your ECU will learn this and start to feed you more fuel and more timing ahead of time? I don't think so smart guy.

and a knock sensor code does not throw your car into open loop. I think the term you were looking for is limp mode. wow, your getting smarter and smarter. and the other sensors you mentioned do not give readings to the ECU to "learn" anything.

Point is, your ECU does NOT LEARN a damn thing, it operates on readings, yes. but to say it learns is completely wrong. and just because you have to reset for certain codes doesn't mean the ECU "learned" something. dumb ass.

Thank you teamurbanchaos i was going to reply about the link he gave regarding breaking in new motors. That does not relate a penny to the original question of the thread...i for one dont know the answer to the ecu learning driving habits but i do havta say when there is a number of people saying one thing and only 1 saying another it leaves room for speculation. im not pointing the finger at anyone just saying there is room for speculation.

Another question the only parts in the engine i am replacing is the timing belt, water pump, plugs, wires, rotor, of course the tensioner conversion, and the temp thermostat. Should i give it a few miles to get worn in before giving the motor all hell?

and i thank everyone who has replied but can we keep the replies to used engines? knowing info on new ones if useful but for me right now is useless...

Quoted post[/post]]
i for one dont know the answer to the ecu learning driving habits but i do havta say when there is a number of people saying one thing and only 1 saying another it leaves room for speculation. im not pointing the finger at anyone just saying there is room for speculation.

Another question the only parts in the engine i am replacing is the timing belt, water pump, plugs, wires, rotor, of course the tensioner conversion, and the temp thermostat. Should i give it a few miles to get worn in before giving the motor all hell?

and i thank everyone who has replied but can we keep the replies to used engines? knowing info on new ones if useful but for me right now is useless...
give any of the moderators or admins a PM about an ECU "learning habits" since i'm the only one in here speaking on it. Then you will know the absolute truth since my word alone isn't good enough.
OK, lets talk used engines. It's simple, it's used, drive it like you stole the bitch. The whole point in me posting that link wasn't a debate between new and used. It just shows that if you don't really need to "break in" a new or rebuilt motor, what makes you think you need to do it to a used one?
The parts you said you were going to replace don't need any break in precedure. The only parts that need a break in period is a clutch, valve train, and cams but that's personal preference. With that being said, if it gives you peace of mind by giving your motor a break, then go ahead and do it.

Back