Build My Junkyard/hm Turbo Kit!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

liquid00meth

Ok, well, it seems as if my plans to get an LS motor will be completing nicely soon. The donor is a 97 teg. The host is my 95 DX coupe. Unfortunately, that means OBD2, so that makes things a bit more complicated. My plan is to build a junkyard turbo setup, with the exception of fake tuning. I'm planning on trading the money that would be used for the bottom end, for a hondata system. I will be getting a t3/4 hybrid from my cousin, so that is all set. Otherwise, im looking to build a junkyard type setup, or at least with used parts. I have access to some pretty serious equipment (most any tool, engine lift, welders, you name it) ala my brother and my dad's shop. So the DIY work can be mostly handled by the fam. I also need to address the OBD 2-->1 conversion issues. I'm not exactly sure about how I'm going to convert everything from 2 to 1, because of the turbo/hondata complications. I'm sure someone knows what to do. As you might guess, im quite the troll around here, so I obviously know generally what is needed. But I've also never done it, so I'm banking off all yall's experiance :) I just need to formulate a parts list and associated cost, so I can plan accordingly. Budget is about 1,200 (yes it's tight) but since that doesn't include the turbo, im in OK shape. Projected WHP is 225-250, fully tuned. And I know im high balling for a stock bottom end, but I'm banking on the superior tuning to keep things going. As soon as the budget expands, I will be heading right for the valvetrain and the bottom end. After phase 2 is completed, ill be looking for 300.

Build the best kit for my money!

Thanks guys,

Kevin

***CLIFF NOTES****

Turbo setup w/hondata. All parts/prices to go with a t3/t4. Already have turbo. 1,200$ budget. Used acceptable. Suggestions.

hondata only operates properly on obd1 ecu's (well, leave it at that for now). so you are going to want to swap the electronics over to obd1.

What i would do would be to use your civic engine harness on the teg motor, and swap plugs where necessary. the dizzy, altenator, and injectors are probably the ones that will be wrong. you will also have to wire up the emissions shit for the p75 ecu (the charcoal canister) else it will throw a code. other than that, its pretty straight forward and with the help of a helms for both the car and the motor, it should not be trial and error.

ok so you have a turbo... and you gotta build the rest of your setup off of 1200 bucks... ouch.
3" exhaust is going to run you 400 easy, if you get a thermal, 650. so your budget is already half gone.
waste gate- tial 35mm hp .45 bar spring - 220
intercooler, i recommend PWR, but with your budget, you are probably going to end up running a POS eclipse intercooler or some other junk you find off ebay.

the problem is, if you half ass it on the intercooler, your piping will be different when you upgrade to a real one later on. so your budget goes up again for half assing it in the first place.
you might be able to get a decent front mount for 250-300 off ebay.

ok, you're out of money now. lol

let's finish up your set up anyway... check out honda-tech FI classfieds. there is usally a couple charge pipes for sale with a BOV already on it/flanged up. just make sure its for the right intake mainfold. the LS is similar to the b16/itr, but the gsr charge pipe will be off and require some more beninding, extentions/etc.- 200-250
the rest of your pipes- get some mendrel bent shit from JC whitney- 150??? im not sure
2 1/4 is the most generic size for turbo's.
coplings 25
oil feed/return lines/fittings - 100
manifold. anything but drag. inline pro is a good cheap one, so is max rev. just make sure you get one with the proper flange for your turbo (t3) and 4 or 5 bolt (depending on your turbo) - $250-400
misc vacuum lines and t's and conenctors and hose clamps - 50
boost gauge - 45-250
and i HIGHLY recommend you get the manifold tapped for an EGT gauge. its key to tuning a turbo car. but, those aren't cheap either... 210-250 for the gauge.
550cc injectors- 250-300
255 hp intank pump- 80

as you can see, your budget is pretty much bullshit. lol you might want to wait, and save up some more.

just get the LS in there for now, and save up some more cash- piece it together. thats my best recomndation.

and who do you plan to tune your hondata? your in NH right???

alright, The exhaust is already taken care off too. Sorry I forgot to mention that. So that frees up about 400 bucks. Its custom done, but it some odd size between 2.25 and 2.75 I think. It won't be ideal, but it also won't cost me another 400 bucksI'm also not sure where it's going to be tuned, I have to find someplace in the NE to bring it. If it's far away, I will have my bro trailer it there and drive it home. Or steal someones boosted base map.

I guess I will have to grab another grand parting out the rest of the Integra, I'm sure I can make it selling all the misc stuff I don't need for the swap.

that would put me at around 2,100. Thats a LITTLE better. Where around CT is there hondata tuning? I guess I have to plan that in too.

It looks like i'm going to end up just gathering parts for a while. But thanks for taking the time to make a list! For now I probably will just settle with the LS motor, maybe turbo will have to be next summer.

also, do you think it'd be wise to go with an internal wastegate to save some cash? What about using an uberteg system instead of Hondata?

internal wastegates suck. i highly suggest against them.

as for the under chip vs hondata. IMO, hondata owns it in all aspect. however, the ubder chip is pretty good for the money. sol reaver has it. me, i never even seen it- but i hear it wokrs pretty good.... but its no where near hondata's level.

if you go to a dealer to tune, all you need is a base s200/b and they can burn you a chip with a dealer package.

check out thedropshop.tv they are in nh, and jon is a decent tuner. brian from 9krpm helps him out i beleive with this.

Just in case any of you NE people are interested, I talked with john from thedropshop. They do street tuning for hondata. So if you are looking for a decent alternative to trailering your car to a dyno for hondata tuning, give em a call.

Back