building a Notebook

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I know I will get made fun of because I said this but here goes ..................

Macintosh G4 Titanium 1.2GHZ

Maybe in 3 years they may have the G5 laptop out but I doubt it.

Uh... IIRC he said he actually wants to run some apps... :lol:

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 3 2004, 11:47 AM
funny you say that mike--- my dads dell just crapped out last week, and it was the mother board.
[post=371961]Quoted post[/post]​

:lmao:

What did I tell you man? That's kinda funny, really- even though it sucks for your dad.

Originally posted by integraslut78@Aug 3 2004, 09:54 PM
I know I will get made fun of because I said this but here goes ..................

Macintosh G4 Titanium 1.2GHZ

Maybe in 3 years they may have the G5 laptop out but I doubt it.
[post=372221]Quoted post[/post]​

Some of the new macs are GREAT computers, however, if no one is using them, its worthless. No software compadiblity. It's the same way with Lenix (sp?) I would love to use them, but since the software availbilty is scarce, it's not an option for now. If either of the two were more mainstream, I would sure as hell go with them, but until then, I have to stick with the POS windows system.

Also, problems that I see with macs, is not just software, but for the price, they blow. They cost 40%+ more then a windows system, and there speeds are not even the same.

Originally posted by Calesta+Aug 3 2004, 10:57 PM-->
pissedoffsol
@Aug 3 2004, 11:47 AM
funny you say that mike--- my dads dell just crapped out last week, and it was the mother board.

What did I tell you man? That's kinda funny, really- even though it sucks for your dad.
[post=372263]Quoted post[/post]​

yup, i couldn't pin point it.... i though it was a weak power supply... cuz it would turn on briefly, then fade out...
no POST beeps for MB errors either...

so he ended p on the phone for 3 hours with the tech support inidian chick who you couldn't understand... and basically broke down the entire thing, rebuilt it one piece at a time, and they finially sent a guy out after all that. on the phone they said it was the board and ram chiips... o h well... it was free... and only a couple days of down time.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Aug 3 2004, 10:46 PM-->
Originally posted by Calesta@Aug 3 2004, 10:57 PM
pissedoffsol

yup, i couldn't pin point it.... i though it was a weak power supply... cuz it would turn on briefly, then fade out...

so he ended p on the phone for 3 hours with the tech support inidian chick who you couldn't understand... and basically broke down the entire thing, rebuilt it one piece at a time, and they finially sent a guy out after all that. on the phone they said it was the board and ram chiips... o h well... it was free... and only a couple days of down time.
[post=372288]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah- dead motherboards are always a bitch to diagnose, because in the past they've never presented any problems. I've never had an issue with other brands of motherboards, but now it'll be the first thing I check the next time I'm presented with a Dell and told to resurrect it... I just think it's crazy that Dell quality has gone so deep in the shitter in the last few years.

Originally posted by Calesta+Aug 3 2004, 10:59 PM-->
Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Aug 3 2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Calesta@Aug 3 2004, 10:57 PM
pissedoffsol

[post=372288]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah- dead motherboards are always a bitch to diagnose, because in the past they've never presented any problems. I've never had an issue with other brands of motherboards, but now it'll be the first thing I check the next time I'm presented with a Dell and told to resurrect it... I just think it's crazy that Dell quality has gone so deep in the shitter in the last few years.
[post=372306]Quoted post[/post]​

I had no idea. The last Dell I touched was 3 years ago, and my ex still uses it.

My computer was hand made from parts. Brushed aluminum case. ASUS motherboard. P4 2.53GHz(fastest they made when I bought it), 533 FSB, 1 gig DDR ram, 7200 RPM Western Digital 60 gig HD, DVD-R burner, big power supply, rounded cables, extra fans, and a mediocre video card since I have a PS2 and an XBOX in my living room. :)

Oh, I do remember getting the Dell setup, and for some reason the BIOS were fucked up, and needed to be flashed. That same Indian chick(coulda been) answered the phone. You can't understand that bitch for shit!!!!!! Overseas telephone help should be illegal. :lol:

Originally posted by tab@Aug 3 2004, 11:31 PM
Overseas telephone help should be illegal. :lol:
[post=372322]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

I hear ya on the home computer... all of mine have been built by me since I was in high school.

*slap*

Voodoo > Falcon Northwest > Alienware OR DIY > everything else

IMO, If you build it yourself, it's usually on par with alienware.

I have a Sony Viao and the motherboard took a shit on me (or so I think) power supply tested fine but the damn thing wont turn on. Is this worth fixing or should I go out and buy a new one? Anyone want to fix it?

If Sony won't fix it, forget it. It's tough finding a PC shop that will even open a laptop, much less replace the motherboard. I know I wouldn't do it.

There any way of getting money back from it? some lap top recycler or something? The damn thing took a shit after only like 6 months of owning it.

well I picked it up today, and that is what I am using to type this post on. Ended up getting the sony that I linked earlier. The sony k23.

Of course, right as I got it, first download = Firefox.

Well I was gonna say build your own tower and buy some kind of pda with a keyboard, and external hd. That's what I have for college, and info gets synced rather quickly.

Back