Building B18C5

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

90Civicym

lookin to build up a B18C5, whats the best way to go about this, i know a little bit about it but not enough to reach the 400 hp mark and still remain a dd. Car is a 1990 Civic HB. any help is appreciated, always thought I knew a fair bit till I came here

Large/efficient turbo, Blueprinted built block, everything will be changed out for the better or best out there.
Daily drivabilty will be a tough goal, yet possible

Build it so it can pump as much air/fuel into and out of the engine and burn every last bit of that fuel

Quoted post[/post]]
call RLZ, and open your wallet.

:werd: RLZ rocks for high hp engines.

If you want to do it yourself the right way....

1) Disassemble entire block,
2) Sleeve, and bore to 84mm (boring is optional, but will help)
3) Buy CP forged turbo pistons, and Cunningham I-beams. I'd personally get custom pistons with an extra compression ring for the insane amount of boost I'd want to run. Maybe not, I dunno.
4) Get a gsr head, their ports are much more suited for high airflow requirements.
5) Enlarge ports, get oversized valves
6) Get an RLZ port job with chamber work. Anything that will reduce the risk of detonation will be your friend. Tell them you want 800hp. After they laugh for about 5 minutes, they'll ask you if you're serious. Just tell them yes.
7) GET A HUGE MOTHER-F'IN TURBO. I am not familiar with the turbo sizes, so I could not give you any examples of which ones to buy.
8) Get all the turbo stuff needed to hook it up. Piping, FMIC, all that. Again, do your own research as to what is good. 800hp is huge, you're gonna definitely be going with custom stuff. I'd hope so at least.
9) NOS. Two bottles. The big ones. Seriously.
10) TUNING TUNING TUNING.
11) A few extra drivetrain components; a few trannies, an assortment of halfshafts. You're gonna break em all.

In all seriousness, what the heck do you want with 800hp? A medal? That is a LOT of power, I don't think you understand how much that is in a ~2000 lb car.

why use a stock honda block. Dart Block, Dart Head, Full Comp Cams valvetrain, Carillo Rods, JE Pistons, T-67 Turbo, EL Turbo Manifold and a lot of praying. Race gas would also be a good idea. You will have more than enough flow to run that turbo...but the build up is going to cost you. In the end, 800hp is gonna seem like weak sauce seeing what that block can hold. At 50psi on a T67, a good manifold, and a dart engine, you could probably hit the 1,000 HP mark. Thats what most of the FF competition dragsters use.

You wont NEED nitrous, but it could help that turbo spool up faster especially if used in the lower RPM range. A lot of people run it with a window switch. once you it a certain RPM, just have it cut power to the solenoid and let the turbo do its thing...or you could just let the N20 run the whole race, but that is a LOT of nitrous.

(BTW, the limited stuff i posted above is going to run you about 10,000 full assembled, not counting fuel setup, Dyno time and tuning options)

dart blocks are not allowed in "honda" class races. keep that in mind.
most classes do not allow multiple power adders. chhose boost or juice, not both.

50 psi on a t67? wtf. that would never happen. they top out at around 35.

10 grand?? ROFL

good luck....

i swear the dude i talked to at jotech said he was running 50psi on that civic...considering it was just murdering people at the track, i just took him at his word

oh, and here is a real quick break down

Dart Block $2130
Dart Head (Built) $3030
Comp Turbo Cam $660
Eagle Rotating Assembly (bout 2150cc displacement and 9.0:1 JE Pistons 85mm available) $1650
T-67 Turbo $900
EL Manifold $1,000+ for a Full-Race, and CONCIDERABLY LESS for a CC-Fab one.
Zex DPI N20 $709

$10,079. Thats where the price came from. If for some reason he does wanna go with Carillo rods that price is REALLY gonna jump. I know a set of V8 rods came into the shop yesterday and they ran 1800 bucks.

that doesnt include anything else than what i listed. hes gonna need new wheels, tires, axles, suspension, roll cage, traction bars, FMIC, Piping, WG(s), BOV, Intake Manifold, injectors, tuning platform, guages, Motor Mounts, oh there is just so much its hard to list. You get the idea though, i was just giving prices for the shit i listed.

some great idea's and really helps point me in the right direction, 800 hp is my goal, if more can be attained that's great if i only get 800 that's great too. building a civic has been my dream since i was 14. The biggest I've head of was 800 hp, are there any twin turbo setup's you can get for the b18c5? single turbo is nice but im a fan of twin turbo. what is the highest hp I could get and still leave it as a combo daily driver/race car as i'm looking at buying a new car for a daily driver. 2002 civic si-g with bodykit, headlights and taillights, tinted windows, cold air intake, and 17" low profile rims and tires. there is also talk of the car being t/c haven't been able to talk to any1 at the dealer yet, asking price for the car is 15,900 can, who/what is RLZ?

christ.

i'm ready to close this thread right now.

pull your head from your own ass.

there is no way in hell you will pull this off.

THE premier turbo shop in the U.S, full race, his "driver" civic hasn't hit 800. and i assure you, its far from a daily driver anymore.

and you don't even know who RLZ is and are talking about "lo-pro's"

here, you need this:

cluepon.jpg

lmao i knew this was gonna turn out to be some magazine racer thread.

-read and do research
-read more, find out what other people have done and had sucess with
-put down the magazines
-redeem your cluepon

it really sounds like you dont have a clue and have too much money (or your parents do) and just want 800hp for m4d str33t cred.

800hp is what i'd like to see the car running, once i get my other car for a dailey driver my 90 will become a track only car, clue towards building engines up, don't know a whole lot in that area i can agree there, now some minor stuff thats bout it. too much money, for my age i supose yes i have to omuch but can anyone person ever have too much money unless you're someone that is retardely rich from pro sports, or big companies

well i gave you an outline of a track car. any more than 400HP on an I4 basically makes it track only. The mods that you have to do to go higher than that kinda make it silly to make a DD. Sure people have 600HP daily driven H22s, but it isnt going to be comfortable outside of boost.

If you want 800HP, i suggest you go find a 2JZ MK4 supra, cause a Civic wont cut it. Too light, too much horsepower...too Front engine Front wheel drive. It just wont work. Everyone on here can definitely point you in the right direction for a 400HP track 320HP DD, but beyond that, you are kinda asking the impossible.

appreciate the guidlines for 800 hp, perhaps you're right on on the 400 hp dd/track car. what would be the best way to build 400 hp b18c5 then, that would prefrom decent track runs, and still be comfortable drive and fun to play with on the streets

first of all dont waste your time with a B18C5 if you are going to rape the hell out of it any fucking way
no point
waste of time and money
more importantly, waste of a perfectly good road course engine

get a GSR engine and tear into that

i'm going with the b18c5, engine is already ordered otherwise i might have opted for the gsr. whats the best way to reach 400 hp an remain comfortable dd, yes i plan to t/c it

Back