1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

burning oil

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by FFCiv, Feb 7, 2005.

1. FFCiv

FFCiv Senior Member

95 Civic with a b16a. Its burning oil. i did a compression test with mahciv today and got 190 185 175 180. I believe perfect is 184; not sure. When driving at low RPMS theres no smoke, but up at and near VTEC I can see almost a cloud of smoke behind me. There is a check engine light that comes on but I don't know how to tell waht it is; dont know if its related. Im guessing its either the valve seals, piston rings, or headgasket. No clue which it is

2. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

hmmm, from what i understand burning oil is a common deal with the vtec motors at high revs...

you can do a leakdown test to try and determine if its the rings, or you can pull your valve cover and take a look at your valve seals...

perfect is 184??? you have a cylinder at 190, and another at 185, and your motor has tens of thousands of miles on it... how can 184 be perfect?

3. FFCiv

FFCiv Senior Member

the number my buddy got from a book was 184.... but that was for the usdm motor. Mine is just a b16a

4. civiclxb16

civiclxb16 Senior Member

from what i thought 220 on the compression ratio is what is perfect!

5. jamesA

jamesA Well known pissed off telephone guy VIP

Standard on the b16a2 is 184, but you have a JDM motor so it'll be more than that. Probably between 210-220 since you're getting 190s and below.

Sounds like to me you need new rings and a new head gasket.

6. whiteLS

whiteLS Senior Member

reading fromm the 88-91 crx B16 manual 185 is nominal 135 is minimum w/ a maximum variation of 28psi

are you sure the smoke isint b/c youre at full throttle and your engine is running rich

7. HCCAfan

HCCAfan Junior Member

x2, same thing mine is doing. running too rich. dirty injectors, bad timing, tune-up needed is your main causes of this.

8. HONDA_F1

HONDA_F1 Member

i notice that my b16 has a leak near the head gasket below my vtec solenoid and distributor

i duuno ifi ts from the distributor or solenoid but its sitting below them

also i've noticed that i have more oil consumption when i do alot of highway miles

i have a s1 tranny so its reving between 4-5k on the highway

but my exahust is perfecly clean from what i've noticed and i still lose oil
    (my bro was driving in front of me pushing the car and i saw nothing)

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted