burning oil

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

FFCiv

95 Civic with a b16a. Its burning oil. i did a compression test with mahciv today and got 190 185 175 180. I believe perfect is 184; not sure. When driving at low RPMS theres no smoke, but up at and near VTEC I can see almost a cloud of smoke behind me. There is a check engine light that comes on but I don't know how to tell waht it is; dont know if its related. Im guessing its either the valve seals, piston rings, or headgasket. No clue which it is

hmmm, from what i understand burning oil is a common deal with the vtec motors at high revs...

you can do a leakdown test to try and determine if its the rings, or you can pull your valve cover and take a look at your valve seals...

perfect is 184??? you have a cylinder at 190, and another at 185, and your motor has tens of thousands of miles on it... how can 184 be perfect?

the number my buddy got from a book was 184.... but that was for the usdm motor. Mine is just a b16a

from what i thought 220 on the compression ratio is what is perfect!

Originally posted by FFCiv@Feb 7 2005, 04:16 PM
95 Civic with a b16a. Its burning oil. i did a compression test with mahciv today and got 190 185 175 180. I believe perfect is 184; not sure. When driving at low RPMS theres no smoke, but up at and near VTEC I can see almost a cloud of smoke behind me. There is a check engine light that comes on but I don't know how to tell waht it is; dont know if its related. Im guessing its either the valve seals, piston rings, or headgasket. No clue which it is
[post=457540]Quoted post[/post]​

Standard on the b16a2 is 184, but you have a JDM motor so it'll be more than that. Probably between 210-220 since you're getting 190s and below.

Sounds like to me you need new rings and a new head gasket.

reading fromm the 88-91 crx B16 manual 185 is nominal 135 is minimum w/ a maximum variation of 28psi

are you sure the smoke isint b/c youre at full throttle and your engine is running rich

Originally posted by whiteLS@Feb 7 2005, 11:41 PM
reading fromm the 88-91 crx B16 manual 185 is nominal 135 is minimum w/ a maximum variation of 28psi

are you sure the smoke isint b/c youre at full throttle and your engine is running rich
[post=457834]Quoted post[/post]​

x2, same thing mine is doing. running too rich. dirty injectors, bad timing, tune-up needed is your main causes of this.

i notice that my b16 has a leak near the head gasket below my vtec solenoid and distributor

i duuno ifi ts from the distributor or solenoid but its sitting below them

also i've noticed that i have more oil consumption when i do alot of highway miles

i have a s1 tranny so its reving between 4-5k on the highway

but my exahust is perfecly clean from what i've noticed and i still lose oil
(my bro was driving in front of me pushing the car and i saw nothing)

Back