Bush to veto Stem Cell funding.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i had a stem cell treatment done.... if was different though.. it was for cancer..

The House of Representatives later failed to achieve the necessary two-thirds vote needed to overturn Mr Bush's veto.

Dammit.

i could see his point, if they used EVERY one to make babies.... but fact is that they end up destroying left overs every day anyway. why not put them to good use?

i hope bush gets a disease that is later solved by stem cell and they don't let him have the operation :D

Exactly. He doesn't understand the full story. It's not like stem cell research is taking away from people who want to have use the embryos to have kids- they don't even come from the same stock.

he said the reason why is because he doesnt think its right to take a life to save 10's to 1000's of others... too bad you dont NEED to kill a fetus.. fuckin stem cell noob.

Seany-izzle said:
he said the reason why is because he doesnt think its right to take a life to save 10's to 1000's of others... too bad you dont NEED to kill a fetus.. fuckin stem cell noob.

I want a quote on that one....cause why the fuck are we in iraq/iran/afghanistan?

Has anyone here actually read the text of the law that's being vetoed ?

Were there any riders on the law, were there any specifics about where the stem cells were found ?

Because stem cells are found in huge quantities in umbilical cords.

Celerity said:
Has anyone here actually read the text of the law that's being vetoed ?

Were there any riders on the law, were there any specifics about where the stem cells were found ?

Because stem cells are found in huge quantities in umbilical cords.

Very true, cord blood does yeild a hefty amount of stem cells but they don't have all the potential that embryonic cells do. Besides, aborted fetuses aren't the only way to get the cells you need... fertilization clinics are a start.

the bid was for public funding, nothing more. private funding is still legal. he just can't see spending federal money on an immoral thing.....

Yeah, Brian is right. And like it or not, the right is who he represents, and who got him elected. gotta represent their ideals.

I strongly oppose human cloning, as do most Americans. We recoil at the idea of growing human beings for spare body parts or creating life for our convenience.

for spare body parts?
i don't think most americans know enough about the issue to even voice an opinion thats not complete diarrhea...

I fucking hate his stance on stem cell research.

Oh well, hopefully the next representative will open a new door.

Sabz5150 said:
Besides, aborted fetuses aren't the only way to get the cells you need... fertilization clinics are a start.
Everyone is SOOO misinformed about this issue. Sabz, I can tell your for stem cell research, however, everyone is thinking that we are the little embros that look like tiny babys like this..

1-fetus.jpg

We are talking about a "fetus" (I put it in quotes because that is like calling a seprate sperm and egg on a collision course a "fetus") that looks like this.

400px-HES51106.JPG

The embryonic stem cells are the first 150-200 cells produced and are only there for about a week after conception. Just to give you some perspective on how SO ridiculously small number this is, there is estimated 1,000,000,000 blood cells in just 2-3 drop of blood.

An abortion is typically done around the 12 week or so after conception. This is just one week. And were not talking about haversting stem cells by having people screw and take the 12 week old "fetus" to go about with science. Remember, the above picture is NOT stem cells.

A little backround on fertility treatments. Couples will go in if either the man has a low sperm count, slow swimmers, ect, or if the woman has problems having the egg do its thing (really have no clue what that would be but many women have that problem) so what they do is extract several (lots 10-20 maybe more) eggs from a woman and basicly put it in a peitree dish with the guy's sperm. Several of the eggs get fertilized and then one or two eggs are then placed back into the woman's system. However, no women wants to be carrying around 20 growing baby's in there womb, so the rest of these already fertalized eggs are put in storage. These are what we are talking about. If they are not used after a while, they are "thrown out".

Basicly there is two choices.
A) The cells are thrown out, saving no ones lives
B) The cells are used for research to save millions of peoples lives.

There is no C. Basicly we are talking about trash or recycling.

Yes, Bush did, after he vetoed the bill have a group of invetro-adopted children visit the white house. However, maybe 1% of those eggs sitting in storage will be addopted. The other 99% will be thrown away. Were saying that you cannot do both. Have an agreement that the parents sign when they first do the treatment weather they want there unused eggs to be thrown away, adopted, or used for research.

And finally to B's comment, yes, private research is allowed however, a good amount of research is done in govermently founded universities. That means places like UofM a huge medical research univerity can not do the research.

And lastely, to answer someone else's above post, the issue at hand is using embronic stem cells (again, medical waste from fertility clinics). There was another bill that was passed to use adult stem sells which passed 100-0 and bush said he will not veto it, however, embronic stem cells are the most promissing types of stem cells.

Last edited:
Back