1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bushings; Worth it?

Discussion in 'Wheels / Suspension / Tires / Brakes' started by 95dc4iwantoboost, Mar 1, 2011.

1. 95dc4iwantoboost

95dc4iwantoboost Boost Envy

94-01 Acura Integra Complete Bushings from Prothane at Andy's Auto Sport

I want to do a full bushing replacement, but with all the reseach I've done, everyones scared the hell outta me. So I tried to find the best replacment kit possible. Is there anything about this kit that I should stay away from of is there a superior kit avalalible? I want a full bushing replacment. Any Ideas?

2. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

scared? i dont get it.

bushings are a great way to stiffen up the suspension. i recommend them to everybody. just be sure to get the black poly, as they are "quieter" than the red ones.

i had the red energy suspension master set on my EG, i think it was 120 bucks plus ship. great investment but all the squeaks drove me crazy. on my grey mirage i have some of prothane kit in black (rest are all heim joints). we have strut front suspension so there are less bushings overall and therefor cheaper.

and they can get expensive. these front end backside LCA bushings were 76 bucks EACH.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  3. 95dc4iwantoboost

Im just not willing to spend money twice for the same thing. I like to do it once and the right way. I will look further into the black set. I get and understand the recommendation for them, and its not that I dont want to do it. I just dont want to spend money twice is all. Thanks for the heads up.

4. 99sidude

99sidude Moderator Moderator VIP

To fully install the master kit is no small feat. Between stuck LCA bolts and stubborn stock bushing sleeves, it will test your patience. I did the "Master" energy suspension kit on my old eg hatch. Drove on them for 2 years and 30k miles and never heard a squeak. I was not a fan of how they felt. Yes, it made the car feel more like a go kart (conected to the road feeling), but with that came feeling every damn bump in the road. This was with mild 205-50-15 tires and not so aggresive eibach suspension. My current EK with function form coilovers & stock rubber bushings handles better, and has much better overall ride quality even with the more aggresive spring/damper setup.

5. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Loved them on my EG. Install = pain in the ass, but well worth it.

6. 95dc4iwantoboost

Well, Im a Mechanic, and have total access to my tools and a lift as well as shop tools to do the replacments. Im not to concerned about the work, but thanks for the heads up.

As for any other things to look out for, would be great. I think Im going to borrow my buddy's camara, and do some build photos. It might be a week or two before I can get the set, but my birthday is Sunday. So who knows.

7. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Sounds like you have the tools and knowledge to install them then- go do it!

8. 95dc4iwantoboost

Yeah, the thing holding me back is my budget. Once I get some more money in, then I get it done.

9. TurboMirage

you can easily do the bushings yourself with a few hand tools. thats how i did mine on the mirage.

on my civic in the past,clayton and i used a hand press and a few small tools.

10. 95dc4iwantoboost

11. TurboMirage

air hammer? i dont think that would be useful.

12. 95dc4iwantoboost

It will. My lower control arm bushings are in there. It drives them out in no time, and I dont even have to remove the arms to do it, just drop the bolt and swing it.

13. TurboMirage

they are tough to get out. without a press i found it easiest to drill through the bushing, and use a coping saw to cut away the inner sleeve.

then you need to cut the bushing jacket, the OD sleeve. hacksaw it in 2 places, pops right out.

14. dc4dude

dc4dude Member

the control arm bushing are easily popped out with a decent air hammer... did the drill and sawzall the first time on my 4 door civic, then did it with the air hammer in my integra... MUCH easier!!!!! for all of them!!! (control arms) and to press them in, a table vise will do, just have to line them up right, and dont forget the LUBE!!!!

15. 95dc4iwantoboost

I know an air hammer is easier, but what do i know. :ph34r:

But yes, at home that would be the best way to do it.

Cut out the bushing, its broken and used anyways.

Then cut the sleeve in half, it will break away without
    needing to be pressed out.

Putting in the new one is pretty easy as well.

A vise but better yet a press is good to use.

I saw a tool on the Cornwell truck for doing it without
    dropping the control arm at all.

Just disconnect the bushing, pull the toe set
    screw out, and release the bottom bolt on the sway link.

The arm comes down far enough to use this
    mobile screw press with steel plates.

Ran $259. I did not how ever get it.

I plan on coping it if anyone can do machine work.

16. TurboMirage

17. wikedeye

wikedeye Well-Known Member

I think if this is your daily driver then you should replace with oem. I regret installing the energy master set. Like 99sidude it makes every bump and minor road imperfections feel much worse than they really are. If comfort is not a concern then go for it.

18. 95dc4iwantoboost

I do want comfort, but i want it solid and responsive.

Now Im not sure. I know what it felt like to go from OEM motor mounts, to Hasport mounts with the U70A Race option. I wanted a more firm transfer of power to the street, which it does. At the cost of feeling that motor in the car.

19. dc4dude

dc4dude Member

i think the polyurethane kit is the "medium" when it comes to bushings and harshness... the oem ones will be.... oem... the poly kit is decent for street/track applications, and you can go with a spherical bearing set to replace the bushings altogether.... talk about harsh, but responsive!!!

20. 95dc4iwantoboost

The spherical bearing is harsh? I could imagine responsive being a selling point to the item, otherwise, it would be worthless. Is it harsh because there is no longer any give in that joint as its replaced with a soild piece?

Im just trying to better understand what your talking about.

Your bushing rec is for poly bushing?

Do you know about the Prothane? From what it sounds like the prothane is what the poly is but better.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted