buy now 99,999,999 one ebay.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by lsvtec@Oct 30 2003, 07:37 PM
According to the auction it is not used to produce electricity but to produce hydrogen gas (H2) from water.

ok, i'm not a nuclear physisist(sp?). but isn't hydrogen gas made from water just plain steam?

Originally posted by get_nick+Oct 31 2003, 12:55 AM-->
@Oct 30 2003, 07:37 PM
According to the auction it is not used to produce electricity but to produce hydrogen gas (H2) from water.

ok, i'm not a nuclear physisist(sp?). but isn't hydrogen gas made from water just plain steam?

Hydrogen is just one atom. H2 isn't...I think?..?? Vapor is still water in gas form. if you cooled it down it would condense back into a liquid water (edit)

Originally posted by get_nick+Oct 30 2003, 07:55 PM-->

hahaha, no. thats H2O in its gaseous form. its still water, but the molecules are further apart, and moving a lot faster.

Originally posted by sleepergtx+Oct 30 2003, 07:56 PM-->
Originally posted by get_nick@Oct 31 2003, 12:55 AM
lsvtec

Hydrogen is just one atom. H2 isn't...I think?..?? Vapor is still water in gas form. if you cooled it down it would condense back into H20

yes hydrogen is one atom, but thats in its elemental state. H2 is hydrogen gas. but you will never find Hydrogen in the form of just one atom, at least not in nature. H2 is the "natural" form of hydrogen (its most stable in this form rather then just a bunch of H atoms together) and can USUALLY only be seperated by chemical processes. if you had a lot of elemental H around, it would spontaneously react to form H2.

Originally posted by get_nick+Oct 30 2003, 06:55 PM-->

:bash:
hydrogen gas is H2, diatomic. it *IS* possible to get this from water through electrolysis...
2H2O(l) --> 2H2(g) + 2O2(g)
chemistry pwns me

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi+Oct 30 2003, 06:46 PM-->
sleepergtx
@Oct 30 2003, 07:32 PM
My understanding is separating atoms is called fission, like a nuclear power plant. Fusion is fusing two atoms together, like the warp drive on Star Trek...which, to my knowledge, man cannot do just yet. ;)

what are you talking about? fusion IS possible, and we HAVE done it. some atoms on the periodic table of elements are created by fusing two existing elements together and they form a new one. they do not last long though.

no atoms are created by fusing elements together. elements are made up of atoms, not the other way around..

also, i dont think this is an actual fusion thingie...i think its just the rights to the patent.
Superior Efficiency Pulsed Plasma Generator Patent

You are offered the rights to 100% of US patent 6,271,614

bah, i was using the words interchangeably. what i meant is that they fuse 2 elements together and form a new element.

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Oct 31 2003, 01:29 AM
bah, i was using the words interchangeably. what i meant is that they fuse 2 elements together and form a new element.

Two elements being fused together COULD be considered...a compound. :p :lol:

so whats the difference between chemically bounded and fused? It's been 4 years since I was in chemistry. :p

Originally posted by silver+Oct 30 2003, 05:01 PM-->
Originally posted by get_nick@Oct 30 2003, 06:55 PM
lsvtec

hydrogen gas is H2, diatomic. it *IS* possible to get this from water through electrolysis...
chemistry pwns me

isn't that kind of like how submarines get oxygen while under water? use electrolisys on sea water and get oxyegen from it? can't remember where i heard that.

Originally posted by sleepergtx@Oct 30 2003, 08:44 PM
so whats the difference between chemically bounded and fused? It's been 4 years since I was in chemistry. :p

fused means that the nucleii actually fuse together to make 1 (imagine having 2 ball of playdough, then mashing them together to make 1). chemically bonded deals with the sharing of electrons (covalent bonding, occurs when 2 non-metals react to form a compound) or when one element "steals" an electron from another element (ionic bonding, only occurs with a non-metal reacts with a metal to form a compound) and the difference in charge from the switch in electrons (one becomes negative, one becomes positive) holds them together

Originally posted by B16+Oct 30 2003, 08:49 PM-->
Originally posted by silver@Oct 30 2003, 05:01 PM
lsvtec

chemistry pwns me

isn't that kind of like how submarines get oxygen while under water? use electrolisys on sea water and get oxyegen from it? can't remember where i heard that.

thats possible, but doing that you would get pure oxygen. we dont breathe pure oxygen, 70% of the air we breathe is nitrogen. plus pure oxygen is highly flammable.

well said

yes electrolysis is how submarines get oxygen while submerged

no atoms are created during fusion, two simpler elements are combined to form a new, heavier atom

I think I see now.

Then I changed the channel and saw a Philly NJ hockey game goin on and I lost my train of thought. :)

Originally posted by silver@Oct 30 2003, 08:57 PM
well said

yes electrolysis is how submarines get oxygen while submerged

no atoms are created during fusion, two simpler elements are combined to form a new, heavier atom

dude, you just contradicted yourself. lol. but by fusing them together you end up with an atom with a different amount of protons then either of the originals. so it is a new element, different then those that you started with. so what im saying that if the element you creat has a different number of protons then any on the periodic table, then it is a NEW element. i know what you are saying though, for example if you fuse 2 hydrogen atoms together, you now have a helium atom. although helium is not a new element to the scientific world, it is new in the experiment.

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi+Oct 30 2003, 05:55 PM-->
Originally posted by B16@Oct 30 2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by silver@Oct 30 2003, 05:01 PM
lsvtec

chemistry pwns me

thats possible, but doing that you would get pure oxygen. we dont breathe pure oxygen, 70% of the air we breathe is nitrogen. plus pure oxygen is highly flammable.

22% of the air we breathe is oxygen. 2% more and fires would never go out.

When you breathe oxygen through a mask, or breathing devices its pure, and you get semi-high.

Originally posted by silver+Oct 30 2003, 09:01 PM-->
lsvtec

chemistry pwns me

The reason why this is such a big deal is electrolysis is very unefficient. The power used to split the two is about the same as the outcome so it's not really the best of a power sourse. With this, it would be much easier to extract the hydrogen, and if the process was simple and safe enough and when massed produced, it would not cost less then 10k, this could replace the gas station.

The reason why hydrogen cars have not become the main stream is 3 reasons.

First, the cars are super heavy but that can be delt with.

Next, hydrogen IS the most plentiful element in the universe, however, it is very difficult to find in pure state so you have to seperate it from other elements (most of the time water through electrolisis) and where do you get the electrity for electrolisis? Same place we get them now, burning of fossil fuel, nuclear power, ect. This does goes against what hydrogen is about, A clean fuel.

Finally, if there was a easy way to extract the hydrogen, currently there is no large hydrogen refuling inforstructor (sp). If this was small and it actually worked safe and cheaply, then bye bye gasoline. We would have no use for it. This would also solve world problems. Why do we care about the middle east? They have oil and we need it. Now that we dont need oil, who cares. There nation either goes poor, or they finally start to build true industry like the rest of the world.

look in the feedback hes selling it else where for 16.50! it was a mistake when he put it on! Dumbass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back