CAI vs Short Ram

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reikoshea

HS Troll...And Mod
VIP
So, when my lude comes back from the shop this weekend (H22 swap into a 92 Si), i wanna give it a lil more mmmph and growl. The engine already has a set of Matrix Headers, and Skunk2 Exhaust system (cat-back) ontop of the engine swap. Just wondering which gives the best sound to the system (and hopefully the best performance).

Originally posted by Jeef@May 9 2005, 11:00 PM
If it raisn a lot in your area don't get a CAI. RIP my old crx.
[post=497217]Quoted post[/post]​

I havent' had much of a problem. Just stay away from large puddles of water, and if you can't help it clutch and idle through it.

i was planning on it, i just see all these short rams, and i was wondering if it was for a reason other than price.

A short ram will have a higher velocity air charge since it's a shorter pipe.

Originally posted by reikoshea@May 10 2005, 05:06 AM
heh, i live in texas...not too big of a problem
[post=497223]Quoted post[/post]​

Don't let Mike hear you say that :p

The CAI's make more power because they draw in cooler air. Cooler, denser air = more power.

short ram with a custom heat shield around it ;)

lol yeah, and i said it with a HUGE rain cloud outside my window...but i said cloud and not rain...it sprinkles if anything...bring mike on, he aint got :censored: on me

(please dont hurt me, the only thing i got is a fun car and a body thatll do 100m in 10.6 seconds)

AEM air bypass valve if your worried about sucking water through your CAI. I work pools for a living and know that the smallest amount of air getting in will prevent any amount of water being drawn through a pipe. The bypass valve is just a little foam piece that goes between the two pieces of your CAI... as long as you dont submerge it, you can dunk your air filter into water practically (but dont actually do it, lol)

Originally posted by micah@May 10 2005, 03:09 AM
comptech ice box if it will fit ;)
[post=497292]Quoted post[/post]​

nah he doesnt want that
hes looking for something stupidly loud
i have the icebox and its nice and quiet

I never had a problem driving in rain with my CAI. My filter was fully exposed to the elements too. I still have a bypass valve for those really hard rainy days thouhg. I would put it on and take it off as I saw fit.

I dotn need either anymore ;)

Okay, so im down to AEM and Iceman, and right now im leaning more toward Iceman due to the ease of the install and the lower price (okay not really the price cause its a 20 dollar difference)...after i get the intake installed i might get the bypass later...its almost summer, and if its a normal summer in texas puddles wont be too big of a problem.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@May 9 2005, 11:36 PM
Don't let Mike hear you say that :p

The CAI's make more power because they draw in cooler air. Cooler, denser air = more power.
[post=497269]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

I live in Texas, and my CAI is up for sale. Want it? :)

The CAI makes more power primarily because of pipe tuning. If you look at the AEM CAI power curves, there's usually a hump in the mid-range. That's where AEM tuned their intakes to make the most torque- and that's why people think they're so great- they feel the torque boost in the middle range. Go pick up an acoustics and fluid dynamics book- you'll understand.

:lol:

lol, well i live in dallas, and i dont think im really gonna feel like driving to houston....ever.

Back