cam question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ThiRteeN

So I want to build a N/A single. im going to use the d16y7 block, and the y5 head, the vtec-e. I want to get a cam and do some head work, for a hair more power. but anything i look up, only has shit for the y8. i know the vtec timing is off cuz the y8 is 8 to 16 valve vs. the y5, 12 to 16. is there that much of a difference for the type of cam? if so, please inform me.

in my experience with the z1 (previous v-tec-e) you can just use the y8 cam and swap the rocker assembly over. heard of this being done with z1/z6 cams and the z1 rocker assembly. i would say check out the z1 and might help to answer your questions about the cam swap. hope that might help

well i was going to keep and use the y5 since i have it, and the ECU. but if i go with the z1, i just use the z1 head, z6 rockers, etc?

i wasn't exactly meaning use the z1 head. the z1 and y5 heads are unique. they use roller rockers for their 12-16 valve engagement at lower v-tec engagement.

i was meaning it would be better to use a y8 cam in the y5 head. check out the specs on each cam. might be better just to switch over to the y8 head if you want to make any kind of power. that would entail changing the o2 sensor(s), ecu, head, intake manifold (optional with use of block off plate for egr). everything else should be okay to use. dizzy should be the same.

what are your overall plans to do with the car?

oh and the y8 is strictly a 16 valve engine just uses a higher cam lobe when v-tec engages while the y5 closes an intake valve on each cylinder til v-tec engages.

well if i can use the y8 cam, that would be best. if not, ill go with the y8 cuz my buddy is practically giving one away. as of now, my plans are just to give it a hair more pep. i put the 93 si trans in it a few weeks ago, and it gets up to speed a bit quicker. i may just keep it as a DD, and keep decent mpg's. maybe later on, go F/I.

yeah with all your egr connected you probably wont see much change in just switching over since you'll still have the same v-tec engagement and almost same cam lobe. better just to swap over and do a mini-me or an engine swap.
don't know where your at but if you ever want to get rid of that y5 then i'd be down for picking it up off of you! hehe i like the v-tec-e engines ^_^

Back