1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can You Put Cold Air Intake On A Turbo?

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by thepester, Mar 19, 2003.

1. thepester

thepester Member

well if thats the turbo manifold, can you put cold air intake on a turbo'd car... or is that pretty much what turbo is?

2. mwasnp

mwasnp Senior Member

Most people use an intercooler, works alot better Im sure ;)

3. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

yes you can usually add a CAI onto the turbo (depending on how it is positioned)
    this will keep you from sucking up the hot air from the engine bay right next to the turbo manifold (ive seen them glowing red)
    having a filter directly on the turbo is the 2nd worst setup (worst being no filter)

this also alows the intercooler to cool the air going to the intake even more producing that much more HP

4. liquid00meth

liquid00meth Senior Member

ahmm.... the intercooler has nothing to do with the intake of the turbo..... The intercooler is between the intake manifold and the exit side of the turbo. The side of the turbo can be connected to a CAI, to filter the incoming air...... The turbo doesn't use exaust gas to drive the engine, only to spin the turbo........

5. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

Which forces air into the engine.So I guess it does drive the motor.

6. liquid00meth

liquid00meth Senior Member

I mean the gases that end up in the combustion chamber. Please, you know what I mean.

7. ryanwolfe911

ryanwolfe911 Senior Member

Of course you can. All factory turbocharged cars have air filters on the turbo intake side don't they? Just make sure you get the filter as far away as you can from the turbo.

8. heterosapian

heterosapian Senior Member

A turbo is most certainly not a cai. Hooking one up to a turbo is easy tho. Get a k&n and 5 buck worth of clamps and cheapo flexy ehaust repair tubing (and a bypass valve if you want some puddle safe peace of mind). This set up is the shit and costs like 30 bucks (w/o the bypass). It doesnt flow as well as a jcwhitney mandrel bend dealy but the differance is minimal, labor's a sinch, and its very much worth it to keep the heat down. Go for it.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted