Car Wont Start?!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

knuteiriktveiten

Hello again, I've been out of town for a few weeks and when I came back my car wouldnt start. It is a built/turbo'd GSR in a EJ. I know the fuel pump kicks on and I have one of those clear distributer caps and I see spark. I pulled the injectors and cleaned them up a little bit but it just turns over with an occasional sputter and a small pop. The timing hasnt been messed with and it has premium gas. I even tried disconnecting the intercooler pipe at the throttle body and sprayed some starting fluid in there and no difference at all. Any Ideas would be very appreciated! Thanks guys!:(

Check for spark at each plug just to be sure it's not something in between the distributor and plug. I would assume the compression would be good since it's been sitting since it ran, but wouldn't hurt to check anyway. If both of those are good it's almost certainly a fuel delivery issue.

Your description sounds like the distributor is misaligned 180 degrees, but if nobody has touched the car I don't know how that could have happened unless someone messed with it while you were gone...

i managed to get it started but only with the gas pedal to the floor and it barely idles and it pops badly...detonation? i hope my motor aint toast...

It should turn on for a second or two when you click the key on and then turn off..

And just so I'm clear on this.. it ran fine when you parked it, and it sat while you were gone, and then started running like this when you got back?

it wont come on at all. I'll try to change the bulb when I get off work tonight. It ran "OK" when I parked it. I starting to think someone put something in my gas tank. They better pray to God that I dont find out whoever did it if thats what happened. I havent been able to really drive it due to it not being done but now I have all of the fuel and ignition system done and I would like to be able to take it to a tune shop to have everything squared away.

pull the plugs and see what condition they are in. make sure they are gapped to correct spec's being you are boosted. You should have timing adjusted and running colder plugs for your setup. sounds like its starving for fuel too. you said you just did the fuel system...are you getting sufficient fuel pressure to the rail? Possibly an injector/s stuck closed due to it sitting,

all of the injectors are sprayin fuel and the plugs are clean except for some gas and soot. I dont get it. The dist. cant be turned around 180 degrees cause I tried turning it around and it only goes on there one way. I would think that spark+gasoline=ignition....what else is there? Im going to try to go borrow a compression tester tomorrow and see what kind of numbers are going to come up. I know i need to get it tuned but shouldnt it run? I mean, it ran before so I dont know. Im getting very discouraged with it. If anyone is in my area and would like to help work on it Ill be happy to pay if someone can get it running or give me a proven reason the car wont run.

Does someone have keys to your car other than you?

Sounds like someone is playing a joke on you.

Check to make sure your cam timing is set right. Just put the engine to TDC and make sure your cam gears are pointing up. My car ran like shit with one cam off by one tooth. Then make sure that the firing order is correct. Other than that ???

yea, actually the people that stole it last year and got away with it. I think they put something in my gastank. I just got done checking the timing and its dead on. The plug wires are in order. thanks for the advice tho! anyone else wanna take a stab at it?lol

I thought it was something free and easy to check...

Do you have an old set of plug wires laying around? I bought an aftermarket set to my car. Ran fine for a month then started missing and was really hard to start. I put a stock set back on and it was fine.

ecu issue? this sounds very stupid, but check your ECU fuse in the relay box under the hood. sometimes it pops, ive noticed on two ITR hatches ive worked on. Also, make sure your ecu is programmed for the injectors you put in. If that fails, you will have to take it somewhere so they can diagnose your starting system with a machine,such as a VAT-40. There is a new VAT out, called the VAT-50. I will be working with those next month, excited... Does all the work for you =)

If your compression test comes out okay then check for spark at every plug. If you got spark, and all your injectors are spraying fuel, then maybe someone did actually put something in the gas tank. It's hard to say for sure, but if you have fuel spark and compression in all 4 cylinders your car should start.

God I hope it aint a blown motor....Im borrowing a compression tester this evening so Ill try to get that knocked out. I pulled my fuel sending unit and the filter on that was all funked up. Its a Walbro 255 that I installed like a month or two ago. What all do I have to do to clean out my fuel system? Oh and if I get it all fixed, me and my buddy (My Taurus 24/7 PRO 9mm) will be watching closely and Ill be happy to run down there and detain them till the cops get there...I hate jealous people! You guys are awesome, thanks for all the help!

Oh, I guess Ill let you guys know the fuel and ignition system I have to maybe help...
FUEL SYSTEM:
Walbro 255 LPH Fuel Pump
AEM Fuel Filter
Stock GSR Fuel Rail
AEM Pressure Regulator
RC Injectors
Vortec FMU

IGNITION SYSTEM
MSD 6AL w/ 2 step
Accel Coil
Magstar 8.5mm wires
NGK low heat plugs