Carbon Fiber Skimboard

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MikeBergy

Blah blah blah....
Well, I finally made it to a point in my major at school where things are getting cool. For those of you that have in the past or are currently attending a four year university, the end is never close enough, you never have enough money (unless your parents are ballers) and you are continually envious of your friends who did not choose to go to school after high school. They always seem to have more money, more relaxing lives, and whatnot. At least that is how it has been for me in the last few years. I am in my fifth year (going on six, cause I'm a slacker :) ) in the aerospace engineering major here at Cal Poly San Luis. Until this quarter, I had not seen any REAL hands on experience with anything major-related. Well this quarter has been awesome, and in my aircraft composites lab,my team is building a wood/carbon fiber composite skimboard, which will be finished in a couple of weeks, and I will hopefully post some pics of some of the production that were able to get shots of, as well as some pics of us "dynamic testing" the board at the beach :p . Anyway, everyone else posts stupid stuff about their lives, rants raves, and what not, I just want to encourage all of the people like me that live in school, always short on cash, that REAL life is just a couple years away, and the money will start flowing for all those drift car/drag car projects we all have floating in our heads :D . That is, unless you are a liberal arts major, and in that case, switch to IT while you still can, don't throw your life away! j/k, peace.

Dope man, Cal Poly is a dope school I have had way too much fun when I have gone down there... There are so many hot chicks at that school. mmm....

haha, yeah, if it weren't a dry campus, it would prolly be a bigger party school than UCSB or SDSU, just look at mardi gras this year; it was freaking nuts. And yes, there are more hot chicks than there are men on campus, and everyone, I mean everyone has a chance, even nerds such as myself. Maasey, if you're ever in the neighborhood, hit me up, I have a house just down the street from downtown, ie good bar action, hot chicks (well, I have a gf, but you could have some fun, don't know if your attached to anyone :D ), good times. I'm still interested in your sub and amp, but I am still trying to get more hours at work so I can afford it. Let me know if you sell it.

Very nice!

And :werd: on the technical majors. My pay a year out of school was NICE.

wish i could figure out wtf i want to do, 3 years of college and i still dont know <_<
anyway, what is a skimboard?

I'm on my 3rd year and I think I want to major in psychology.
next quarter I'll be on my 5th psych. class.

anyway, what is a skimboard?

isn't it one of those boards you ride the sand on the shore of the beach with?

A skimboard is a board where you ride the super thin film of water that is left as the wave is being sucked back out. Some boards are made for a thin film, some are made for a thicker layer of water. We are putting about an inch and a half of camber on this thing so the nose edoesn't bite into the sand when the water starts to get real thin. we are hoping the 3 layers of carbon don't wear too excessively. Anyways, it should be fun.

Yeah, i am now considering Engineering at UCSD or SDSU now

If you want any respect as an engineer, I wouldn't recommend sdsu, since anyone and their mom can get in. UCSD I've been told is very reputable. But just about any school down there you are going to run into a lot of the party scenes.

skimboards...

back in '96 when when there was some hurricane i was on vaca. with my family @ myrtle beach SC...waves were huge and i was for the first time on a skimboard i made my parents buy...huge waves. i was on the board working it nicly then a big wave comes like completly flips me over i crash head first into the sand and i break 2 vertabres(SP?) in my neck...end of vacation :(

skimboards > me

Well, here it is... our attempt at making a skimboard using a good amount of CF and a bunch of aeropoxy. I love wasting the school's money on projects like this.

s40a4b070a876a.jpg

s40a4b05a8b2ec.jpg

s40a4b08b33466.jpg

Look at the camber on that thing. I am hoping the Cf doesn't delaminate from the wood core. Anyway, it was fun,

No sand paper for grip here. We use surf wax. Easier on the feet, easier to clean off. :)
You ever had grip tape dig into cold bare feet? Doesn't feel too good.

Mike, my Dash getting recovered is next, then your underbody diffuser, well my diffuser first too. :)

I usually wore diving booties so my feet wouldn't get cut on shells, so I never thought about sand and bare feet. :p Mr Zoggs owns you.

When the waves come in, you let the water come up as far as you can, then right as its about to go back out, you run, and throw the skim board on the film of water and jump on it, effectively "skimming" across the thin film of water. The biger the board, the less water you need to skim. I think that the surface area of the board will probably need about a 1/2 inch of water. We built camber into the board, so it wouldn't dig into the sand if the water film got too thin.

Personal fan of sticky bumps. Booties look t3y gh3y if all you are wearing is boardshorts. :)

Where did you live before you moved? Washington? The water is much colder up there, not wayyyyyy colder (like 60F here right now, max of like 65) but I can see needing to wear a wetsuit, where booies aren't as dumb looking.

Back