1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cars overheating

Discussion in 'Civic and del Sol - EG and EK' started by FuglyFodo, Jun 16, 2008.

1. FuglyFodo

FuglyFodo that will change 1 day

anybody that has anything please help i don't wont to waist my money at a shop till i have to.... Basically i have a problem with over heating but it doesn't over heat till im sitting still at a stop light then it starts to over heat... so i turn my heat on all the way and the needle goes down to the top of the little picture/design thing on the engine temp gauge....... then when i go from that stop light its starts to over heat then my car shifts to second and it starts to cool down an goes up in third before going down at constant speed. i dont know what it is i thought i was out of coolant so i filled it up and still does it.

2. efhondakid

efhondakid My name is Byron. VIP

Your thermostat may be sticking, or you fan isnt coming on, as long as it isnt blowing white smoke, thats a blown headgasket. To check to see if the fan is coming on pop the hood start the car and let it run and get up to temp, when/if it does go over normal (needle just below the picture deal) the fan should kick on. I dont think there is a way to check for a sticking thermostat.

3. t3t4delsol

t3t4delsol New Member

check your fluid level, when you open the hood when its running on hot does the rad cap make a sounds like its loosing pressure? If so check the rubber gasket on it it might be deteriorating. whats the overflow container look like?

4. FuglyFodo

FuglyFodo that will change 1 day

fluids fine and it doesn't sound like its loosing pressure

5. knuckledog

knuckledog New Member

what about you fan? i seen efhondakid ask you about the fan, is it kickin on? also check if you have a bubble in the cooling system there is a bleeder valve on the water jacket neck on the fron side of the head

6. mintoxik

mintoxik Member

I had the same problem in a few of my cars it would over heat at slower speeds and at stops but on highway it was fine "it was my thermostat"

but it has to be your fan or your thermostat

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  7. acir

acir Junior Member

Hi,

Fugly hv u found the cure? pls update if u hv coz i've the same prob; i'd chg the radiator, water
    pump, checked the hoses, fans good, head gaskets good, disabled the thermostat ( i live in
    a 2 season only country so no issue there- its a common practice for hondarians here) but still
    having it - the temp's ok when im driving but starts picking up when i stop & ok again if i revs
    a bit. & water fr the cooling sys would fill up the reserve tank. is it possible that some water passage in the block is clogged? Anyone?

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted