Cars to Put My Motor In?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

IronRanger

First, I'm not a motorhead. I actually hate working on cars.

This past weekend, I picked-up a 1992 Honda Accord LX wagon. 105,000 original miles and an automatic. The body has a few rust holes above the rear wheel wells and on the driver's door. I intend to drive it until I can find a car with a great body, but has a trashed tranny, motor or both. I may fly to Vegas (flights are cheap) to find a car with high miles, but never exposed to the salted roads of Minnnesota. The thing is, I couldn't pass on this car. The motor purrs and I know the reputation the '92 has for reliability.

I want to find a coupe that the motor will essentially drop-in to.

I don't have the car sitting right outside, it's at an uncle's until I can fix the front brakes (the more I look in to it, the less I like the idea of changing the rotors and brake pads).

Basically, I want suggestions- other than "buy a 1992 Accord". :)

Thanks.

Welcome to Hondaswap!

You could go with a lightweight Civic. The F and H engines that come in the Accords and Preludes can mate to the D series transmissions that come in the Civics. It's not a conventional swap, and you need an adapter kit (a few hundred bucks) to mate the engine and transmission together- but you would gain all the wonderful torque that comes from a 2.2L engine with a long stroke over the 1.8L blocks that a lot of people like to swap in.

Just an option.

Or go buy another Accord. :)

You could go with a lightweight Civic.

OK. What years would I be looking for? Also, what do I need to know about my motor and transmission in order to match a body/frame with them?

Thanks.

Some additional info I found with the folder of maintenance records I have for it.

"2156 cc SOHC 4-cylinder 16-valve engine w/programmed fueled injection"

"Engine No. F22A1-3595178"

"4-speed automatic transmission. Feedback Fuel System"

The only cars they "drop" into are other F/H equipped cars(90-02 Accords, 92-01 Preludes, 95-98 Odyssey). F/H engines use the same transmission bolt patterns also.

For D-series transmissions(that came in SOHC 88-00 Civics), I believe the only kit is for 88-91 Civics("F2D"). If using a B-series kit("H2B"), you'd use the DOHC transmission out of 94-01 Integras, 94-97 Del Sol, 99-00 Civic Si, or some other hydraulic transmission(or 90-93 Integra transmission if it's for a 88-91 Civic) and I believe there's kits for 88-91 Civic/CRX and 92-95 Civic/94-01 Integra.

Last edited:
The only cars they "drop" into are other F/H equipped cars(90-02 Accords, 92-01 Preludes

That's a nice range for me to work with. I like the '94 and '95 styling of the Accords. I like the Preludes that I've seen on craigslist too. Plus, no transmission bolting problems if I stick with those years. That's exactly what I need- no added expense with a kit.

How much of a pain is it to switch from a manual to an automatic? I'd most likely stick with buying a car with an automatic since that's what I have now, but what if I bought a manual?

Honestly, why not just buy a car with a better body and a decent engine? I mean, it's not like we're talking about expensive cars here. How much did you pay for your current car? I'm guessing $2,000 or less. You could probably find a decent 94-95 Accord for $2,000 - $3,000 and not bother with the engine swap.

Think about this. Here's a list of expenses you're going to face:

-Cost of buying another car
-Cost of transporting said car to where it needs to be for the swap (assuming that the motor is bad)
-Cost of performing the motor swap (you said you were not mechanically inclined)
-Cost of switching from auto-to-manual transmission
-Hassle of disposing of the old shell

All that's going to add up, possibly to the point where it makes more sense to just purchase the car you want in already running condition.

Just something to consider...

How much did you pay for your current car?
$600.

I wasn't clear. I originally intended to find a car with a bad motor to drop it in. Now I'm thinking that I'll buy a car in good condition and drive it back from Vegas- unless I can find one in Minnesota that's not a rusted-out p.o.s.- I'll then have a spare motor.

-Cost of switching from auto-to-manual transmission

I was wondering if I should stick with buying an automatic. What kind of hassle/expense is involved with switching?

It's only a hassle if the car you choose is opposite of what you want(ie: the chassis you choose also happens to be an auto and you want a manual). IIRC there's welding involved but I'm not sure of the specifics(never had to do it as all my cars were manual).

If you buy a chassis(OE F/H engine) that's manual and already has a manual transmission in there; you're pretty much set.

I was wondering if I should stick with buying an automatic. What kind of hassle/expense is involved with switching?

An engine that was originally attached to a automatic transmission can easily bolt up to a manual transmission, so if you're buying a new car to drop the old engine into, then just buy a manual transmission equipped car (assuming that it has an H or F series engine).

For someone who doesn't like working on cars or doesn't have much experience with it I'd probably not recommend attempting an auto-to-manual swap. You'd basically need to scavange everything that came on the manual version of the car and install it all in place of the automatic bits (pedals, hydraulic lines, clutch, tranny, center console, gauge cluster, ECU, etc.).

Like I said above, I'd just look for a new car that's already manual. The automatic engine should still bolt up...

I'd just look for a new car that's already manual. The automatic engine should still bolt up...

This is good to know. Thanks.

I've searched the old and new ads on craigslist for my area- There are very few Preludes or Civics. Accords aren't too hard-to-find, but I've got time. One more winter rusting the holes in my current wagon is one less winter rusting my new car. :D

For D-series transmissions(that came in SOHC 88-00 Civics), I believe the only kit is for 88-91 Civics("F2D"). If using a B-series kit("H2B"), you'd use the DOHC transmission out of 94-01 Integras, 94-97 Del Sol, 99-00 Civic Si, or some other hydraulic transmission(or 90-93 Integra transmission if it's for a 88-91 Civic) and I believe there's kits for 88-91 Civic/CRX and 92-95 Civic/94-01 Integra.

Greek to me. Would my motor work in this?

1990 Honda civic 4cyl.4 speed

yes, but you'd need the mount kit and do some wiring.... and frankly, that chassis doesn't look that mint to me.

.... and frankly, that chassis doesn't look that mint to me.

It's hard to say from the pics, but in northern Minnesota, believe me, that's in damn good shape for a '90. If you can't see rust holes or big patches of rust, it's in good shape.

I'm asking more out of curiosity.

This all started because I need another hobby. The only thing I really enjoy is weightlifting. I used to hunt and fish a lot, but now I need something else. Something constructive instead of destructive. Maybe it's middle-age. I dunno.

find a hobby that makes you money, not costs you money

Heh. Yea, that sounds like a job...but maybe one that I'd love.

Just tell me what it is. :D

What I'd really like is a Geo Metro, but that's for another forum. If it's in good condition, they're selling for a lot of money these days.

I think the Accord will be a good winter car. Insurance is half what I'm paying now, plus the chassis is already rusted. It'll save on winter wear-and-tear on my main ride too.

I still like the idea of having a car with a spare motor though. The cheap bastard in me speaks loudly.

I'm going to take a look at this tomorrow. I'm assuming it'd work with my LX wagon, but I figured I'd get confirmation.

Thanks.

94 HONDA ACCORD WGN FOR PARTS - $300

94 ACCORD WGN WAS FOR SALE FOR 1200 OBO DEVELOPED A KNOCK IN THE BOTTOM END AND LOST PWR. 158K V TECH AUTO TRANSMISSION WAS JUST REPLACED! NEW REAR BRAKES JUST DONE NEW RADIATOR JUST REPLACED AND BRand new alternator just replaced. NOW ITS LOOKING LIKE A BEARING IN THE BOTTOM END IS MAKING NOISE. CAR HAS NEW TIRES ALL THE WAY AROUND ON FACTORY ALLOYS. ALL GLASS IS GOOD INTERIOR GOOD CD TAPE COMBO PWR WINDOWS.

IF YOU HAVE A HONDA YOUR TRYING TO KEEP ALIVE THIS IS FULL OF USABLE PARTS OR IF YOU CAN REPLACE HONDA ENGINES ITS A SOLID PLATFORM

EX wagons have ITR brakes ;) Not to mention they look pretty nice too(I was trying to get one for a while but just couldn't find any in the area).

ITR brakes

I don't know what that means.

For $300, I just might buy it. I'm gonna look at it tomorrow. He says it still runs and that I might be able to drive it the 25 miles home. Bad part is, there's heavy road construction in that area. If I breakdown, it'll hold-up traffic for miles, not to mention an emergency tow.

But...making it home with a steal would be fun.

Back