Cd Burner Burned?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

endlesszeal

well i've been enjoying burned cds for about 6 years now. I started with a 1x :lol: and moved my way onto a 16x. Now i see 52x burners.. FUCKING CRAZY :eek: Anyway, i'm pretty happy at 16x because it does the job in 5 mins.. I don't know how fast those 52x bastards do it in, but im assuming FAST.. The thing is, my burned can't burn songs anymore, it only burns data and makes cd copies. i asked my brother and he said its just the way it is.. burners are render useless after a year or two because the parts wear and tear.. so is he right? do i need to replace it? or is something just messed up with my burner that i can fix and keep.. im kinda short on 100 or so bucks to get a new burner but if it comes too, i guess ill have to front the money..thanks for the advice. later days

i think you just need software that burns songs. i dont know whats diferent with songs but i tried copying them like a file onto a cd with a brtand new cd burner and they didnt play..then i went back and figured out how to copy songs with the software that came with the burner...and it worked. maybe try get a copy of Easy CD Creator. it has the option of burning songs.

yeah, there's no reason why it would burn regular files but not audio...like rixXxceboy said, try to get a copy of Roxio's Easy CD creator or Nero Burning-rom...and if you have winXP you can use windows media player to burn audio

and if you do decide to get a burner, have a look at the "Lite On" brand...they have some on www.newegg.com for about $46 link

Buy Plextor or Yamaha. That's all I ever get... but Lite-On is still pretty solid, and damn good for the price. I still kill burners on a regular basis though- but when you burn something like 500+ CDs every month, you tend to wear some of the burner's parts out.

:lol:

Originally posted by rixXxceboy@Apr 22 2003, 11:50 PM
500+ CDs a month?! running a little business on the side mike? :p jus kidding

:p

Hey, that was back when nobody had burners... I paid like- $600+ for my Yamaha 4x SCSI burner back then. I think I logged something like 700 CDs that first month, then the sucker died.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As Calesta said.
Plextor or Yamaha, the only two burners to ever consider buying.
plus Plextor has a new kick ass CD-RW/DVD+r/RW drive.
you can start makin DVD's as well as CD's

about the 56x burners, they are kinda useless at that speed for just normal CD's. Most home cd players can only read cd's burned at like less than 20 or something like that. I have a 48x burner but I have my burner program set at 18x, any higher than that only computers can read it (But I am not sure if 48x would work in my MP3 player, I will try it.)

I bought a cheap 70 dollar one at bestbuy and I am very happy with it.

Originally posted by CRX-YEM@Apr 23 2003, 09:02 AM
plus Plextor has a new kick ass CD-RW/DVD+r/RW drive.
you can start makin DVD's as well as CD's

DVD burners arent the best idea right now .... theres something like 4 different formats out there battling it out.... none of them are compatible with eachother as far as i know (kinda like the old school VHS and BETA thing) so if you get a burner you need to make sure that your DVD player can read that format (if you plan to watch them on your regular player) or else your stuck watching everything on your PC.... kinda makes sharing shit a bitch too if your friends DVD drives dont support that format

oh shit i didnt know that if you burn at a certain speed, certain things cant read it.. :huh: so if i do get a new burner and burn cds at 52x or watever, only computers can read it and not my cd player in my car? That sucks ass.. and i rather not burn DVDs because the discs cost an arm and a leg and it writes at like what 4x, right? and correct me if im wrong, but DVD movies are like at least 1GB? so it would take forever to burn a DVD, right? i'm pretty happy with my Apex DVD player :lol: .. i can go to my friends house (dsl), download a movie in VCD format and just burn it and watch it on my good ol' apex.. not as good but better than vhs.. never the less, i NTI-2000 or some shit.. kinda like nero i think and it worked fine for a year.. and now its acting like a bitch.. so i just need a new burn program? thanks for helping a fellow pirater out ;) .. anyway, happy tunings

just get a 24x with the most features man. I'm telling you, no matter what speed really, it will only actually burn reliably at around 9 or 10x.

Lots of misinformation here...

A good 40x+ burner like a Plextor or Yamaha with quality media will burn at the rated speeds, and the output will be readable by normal CD players. I push audio CDs out at 48x all the time and my 7 year old home CD player can read them without any problems at all.

As for burning speeds- over 24x, the speeds generally aren't linear, because write speeds increase as the circle of rotation gets larger. You're rotating the disc at the same speed, but you are writing at a higher data rate because you cover more linear distance toward the edge of the disc. Most higher speed writers are able to write at a constant speed (CLV - constant linear velocity) up to about 24x or 28x, then they write at a constant angular speed (CAV - constant angular velocity) through to the edge of the disc. If you don't have decent media and tend to buy junk like Imation, Memorex, or whatever junk CDs that CompUCrap has on sale over the weekend, you won't be able to write at max speed... and if you have one of the less media sensitive burners (like Lite-On) which will write at 48x or whatever speed it's rated at, you'll end up with CDs that aren't readable by standard audio CD players, some car stereos, etc.

I've never had problems with compatibility burning at high speeds with good media- it always works for me. Junk media and junk burners are a totally different story.

DVD writer that write at 4x can complete a 4.7GB disc in 17-23 mins . not to shabby if you ask me.

re: the DVD formats avaliable. the DVD+R/RW is pretty much becoming the standard.
as for the DVD-R is mainly used in mass production of DVD's or small recording studios.

Most new DVD players are able to read DVD+R type discs and DVD-R.
List of Players and what formats they can handle

The compatability issue is with the media your writing to.
A DVD+R cannot write to DVD-R media and vise versa.

Also look into the Sony DRU500A, It's not the cheapest, but it burns DVD-R/+R/-RW/+RW and of course CD-R/RW

Originally posted by Calesta@Apr 23 2003, 02:24 PM

A good 40x+ burner like a Plextor or Yamaha with quality media will burn at the rated speeds, and the output will be readable by normal CD players. I push audio CDs out at 48x all the time and my 7 year old home CD player can read them without any problems at all.

As for burning speeds- over 24x, the speeds generally aren't linear, because write speeds increase as the circle of rotation gets larger. You're rotating the disc at the same speed, but you are writing at a higher data rate because you cover more linear distance toward the edge of the disc. Most higher speed writers are able to write at a constant speed (CLV - constant linear velocity) up to about 24x or 28x, then they write at a constant angular speed (CAV - constant angular velocity) through to the edge of the disc. If you don't have decent media and tend to buy junk like Imation, Memorex, or whatever junk CDs that CompUCrap has on sale over the weekend, you won't be able to write at max speed... and if you have one of the less media sensitive burners (like Lite-On) which will write at 48x or whatever speed it's rated at, you'll end up with CDs that aren't readable by standard audio CD players, some car stereos, etc.

I've never had problems with compatibility burning at high speeds with good media- it always works for me. Junk media and junk burners are a totally different story.

no it doesn't man, I'm telling you. I'm a computer engineering student, I know a wee bit. All your info is right, just There is no CD that burns at 48x. It just doesn't happen. actual write speed MIGHT be 16x. Get a quality CD burner with as many options as you can get. Your wasting your money on anything that claims to burn or read at more than 32x. First of all, it won't burn that fast, and second of all, your computer can't ingest data at 48x.

Originally posted by liquid00meth+Apr 23 2003, 04:31 PM-->
@Apr 23 2003, 02:24 PM

no it doesn't man, I'm telling you. I'm a computer engineering student, I know a wee bit. All your info is right, just There is no CD that burns at 48x. It just doesn't happen. actual write speed MIGHT be 16x. Get a quality CD burner with as many options as you can get. Your wasting your money on anything that claims to burn or read at more than 32x. First of all, it won't burn that fast, and second of all, your computer can't ingest data at 48x.

I don't know man, my plextor 48x writes an 80min disc in 3.2 mins (really damn quick and never had a problem)

So your telling me a burner that is capable of writin data at 52x (7800 KB/s) running on a computer isn't able to transfer data that fast.

You say that a computer can't ingest ( I assume read data at a rate of 48X (7200KB/s)
when most hard disks are capable of sustained transfer rates of 22-44 Mbytes/s

52x (7800KB/s) = 7.8 Mbytes/s
48x (7200KB/s) = 7.2 Mbytes/s

Most MB can support PCI busses that run at 100+ MBytes/sec
DDR ram can transfer data at 2.1GB/s

I just don't see how a quality drive such as a plextor or yamaha doesn't write at it's advertised speed.

oh I must also mention I'm an EE and mike is an ME.
and I don't mean to speak on Mike's behalf but since your throwin titles around.

Back