Cd Burner Burned?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by CRX-YEM@Apr 23 2003, 04:15 PM
oh I must also mention I'm an EE and mike is an ME.
and I don't mean to speak on Mike's behalf but since your throwin titles around.

No problem Dennis. I'm also halfway an EE... most of my EE friends in school said that I had more potential in the EE work force than half the people who graduated with EE degrees...

But I don't want to get into a pissing match.

liquid- let's assume that your burner only writes at 16x. If you're burning an 80 minute / 700 MB CD, your minimum write time is 5:00 minutes. Burn times are only accurate for the actual data write time- of course your lead in and lead out take longer. Now if I'm able to burn entire 700 MB CDs in just a hair over 3 minutes, including lead in and lead out, I think that the data rate is considerably faster than your "maximum" 16x burn rate. Take into account the overhead in burning (lead in and lead out), and the actual data burn time is more like 2:45 for 700 MB. That averages out to a little over 29x for the entire CD, and considering that you're burning in a CAV system (start slow, end fast)- the end write speed is right at the advertised 48x or whatever speed your higher end burners write at.

I have had difficulty getting some of the lower end burners (Sony, Lite-On, LG etc) to burn at their rated speeds with quality media, but Plextor and Yamaha are always consistent with their claims and write to their stated maximum... sometimes higher. Your "lower end" to mid range burners can burn at 40x or greater, but the CDs that you get out of them aren't always usable in all readers.

haha alright, I can take your word for it all, but I still won't believe it until I see a 48x burn the same CD in half the time of my 24. I just don't see it. If you get a program the monitors actual write speed, it never shows up with anything close to rated speed.

As far as me saying the computer can't keep up, you have to know that the computer is never just talking to your CD burner and your respective burning program. Your write speed is basically the maximum speed that your computer can sustain for get data->data to memory->memory to program->Program code in memory->program to memory->memory to cd burner->cd burner to laser->laser to dye->

Basically your best write speed is the speed that your computer can get all this shit working in unison.

haha and yea guys, you all make good points, I'm not calling anyone an idiot. Everyone here is qualified to talk about CD burners :p

It's very possible that things do burn that fast, I just personally haven't seen it. thats all

:)

Of course you're not going to get a 48x burner to go twice as fast as a 24x burner... because it doesn't burn at 48x through the whole CD. Like I explained before, the burners faster than 24x generally burn at CAV speeds, meaning that the write speed increases toward the outside edge of the disc. You're still spinning the disc at the same rate, but you're ramping up the speed since more physical disc passes underneath the laser per rotation at the outside edge. A 48x burner will typically run about 30-50% faster than a 24x burner. You DO start to "lose" once you get past 24x or so, but the burn speeds are real.

Roxio (Adaptec dammit!) Easy CD Creator, along with most other higher end (read expensive, not necessarily good) burning programs out there do monitor burn speeds during the write process. You can also get a progam called CD Speed that does read/write speed testing on your burner. You might want to check out CDR Labs for more information on burners and speeds... they're probably the top CD writer review site out there right now.

As for memory bandwidth, when you have 2 GB/s of bandwith or more available to your entire system, 133 MB/s of which is your PCI bus, and only 8MB of that (max) is being used by your burner or CD reader at MAXIMUM throughput, I think your computer can "handle" the data rates going to and from your optical drives just fine. If computers couldn't handle a tiny data stream that's 8 MB/s, why do people bother wiring up whole stacks of hard drives that are capable of pushing 70+ MB/s EACH? My data stack is easily capable of overwhelming my PCI bus 2-3 times over at max output, but it never will- because I'm never using all of my devices all at once. Hardly anyone does- not even a full blown data server that everyone in a business uses as their data bitch.

i just have a Hi-Val cd burner thats almost 2 years old. it was cheap and its still works. it even came with Nero Burning Rom v.5. it only burns at 4x but fuck it, it burns me cds when i need em. best damn investment i ever made :D

wow all this information is making me dizzy. i dont really care about computers even though theyre "revolutionizing" our world today. thanks for all the information, but i really just wanted to know if i should trash my burner or get a new one? its a cheap brand i guess (Lite-On) and i use cheap cds.. so sue me :lol: .. also, im not quite fond of spending more than 100 on a burner.. so all in all, i need a new program right? but it worked a year ago? i dumbfound here.. oh yeah btw my computer is 1.4ghz amd, 512DDRRam, and i dont know the rest. my brother built the stupid machine and now is in the airforce..so i dunnoe if its even a good computer.. neway, thanks for all the "interesting", and helpful info.. happy tunings

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Apr 25 2003, 04:15 PM
haha you also have to remember pretty much nothing happens in parallel. interrupts and such. ONGUARD!

Yes. That's why SCSI > IDE. That's why my system is 100% SCSI except for the devices that absolutely have to be IDE, like the burner... since Plextor sold out and stopped making SCSI devices. You don't have data collisions and single device only access with SCSI like you do with IDE, but you can still eliminate that deficiency by only having one device per IDE chain (that's what I do). A SCSI controller will still use an interrupt, just like an IDE device or controller, so you don't really win there.... but I still prefer SCSI over IDE. Priorities just dictate that I can't run a 100% SCSI system anymore, especially since the market leaders don't support it 100% now either. I have other things to spend money on now- there's no reason for me to keep maintaining an $8000+ home system now.

Let me get this straight... So, uh, let see; I'll try a new burn program first. Any recommendations? I've tried Rio, Easy CD Creator, Adaptec, Neozero or something, and a lot of other ones. I honestly can't tell the difference except how to burn each cd, but pretty much click and drag. :lol: If that doesnt work, I'll just get a generic burner for like 60-100 or so and be happy. But one more major question, so if i do get my generic burned, its not recommened that i write beyond 24x or watever because some cds cant read that shitty data/generic disc? Thanks a whole lot guys!
:worthy: :worthy: happy tunings

I myself like Ahead Nero. works great. and my all time favorite for doin .bin .cue types of burns is CDRwin

what are some brand name cds? ive only been using shit like memore or something and stuff along those lines..

Nero = :thumbsup:

CDRWIN = :thumbsup:

Easy CD Creator = :thumbsup: most of the time

Memorex media = :puke:
Sorry Meth, I've had too many problems with Memorex blanks "fading" over time, and a lot of the tech community has seen the same thing. Losing your data after storage for a few years is not a good thing.

You might try Fuji/Fujifilm media. Fuji sources their blanks from Taiyo Yuden. Taiyo Yuden is probably the top CD blank manufacturer out there, and it's also the top brand recommended by burner manufacturers. I never have problems with Taiyo Yuden media. Mitsui is top notch too, if you can find it, and if you're willing to pay extra for it. I use Mitsui for any kind of crucial data backup.

If you're willing to spend up to $100 on a burner, just go to Newegg and order yourself the best- buy a Yamaha or a Plextor. You can nail one of those for $100 easy.

I've had great luck with Verbatim

Thanks a lot guys! i really mean it.. ill update this and see what was wrong with the friggin thing.. and maybe upgrade up cd brand :lol: .. anyway, i guess i better get on to kazaa and start dling the programs.. :p happy tunings

Back