CF Intake manifold

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Jul 13 2003, 08:06 PM
i dont get it..... less weight, yes.... less heat, i dont see how..... carbon fiber doesnt hold heat, but heat does pass it through very easily.... so being all the way to the upper rear of the engine bay, without some ventilation to get all of the hot air collecting in that area out, its just going to heat all of the air going into the engine

from the looks of it a well designed aluminum or steel (either one would block more heat than the CF... steel a little more than the aluminum) IM and the hondata intake manifold gasket (insulates the IM from the heat of the block) seems like it would be a better choice

Think of it this way. Instead of having just the Hondata heat shield to keep your intake manifold from getting heat soaked, you have an entire unit that is heat soak resistant. You can also form the CF however you want to get the ideal shape, and have a smooth surface inside that doesn't need any port work. You make the IM exactly the way you want it the first time, without any machining later. CF IS a good heat barrier, and you can even configure the setup with barrier layers of air (like a double pane window) to act as a heat insulator. I don't know if that's included in Larry's design, but you never know. You have the advantages of less heat into your engine, lighter weight, and freedom of design.

i dunno everything ive ever read about carbon fiber says "carbon fibers are thermally and electrically conductive"

the thermally conductive part is why i used carbon fiber to make my leg brace

Back