Cheap swap?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

carracr625

I have a 90 std civic hatch i am using as a daily driver. I was planning on doing a b16a swap in the future, but my current engine is burning oil bad. I am looking for advice on what I could swap in there that would give me decent power (as opposed to my 70hp stock), but not cost an arm & a leg. I don't have $4k to dump into my car right now. I have been researching d series & zc swaps, but all I can find is the long block only. I need a tranny as well due to the fact that mine is a 4spd. I know all about the dpfi to mpfi conversion, so that won't be a problem. But, what is the easiest/cost effective swap I can perform? If I buy the long block from someone, where can I get a tranny? I know this is a very broad question that I am raising, but I'm looking to explore all options that people have had success with. Thanks in advance.

if your loking for cheap and a little exta kick get the zc,there like $400 bucks im sure you can pick up a tranny for half that and be done with it.

Check out www.hmotorsonline.com I got my DOHC ZC complete with ZC tranny and intermitiant shaft. Shipped to my door for 900 bucks. Hmotorsonline.com is one of the best places you can buy a motor from in my opion. Just give them a call and see whats up. I just got done with my DOHC ZC swap and love it. Take it easy and good luck.

Jeramy

yeah you can pick up a zc pretty cheap, if you don't get a tranny with it i have some that i can hook you up with... I have a dx that is laying in my garage, and i know of a si, zc and a hf tranny that are all for sale for pretty chepa)

zc will give you good power and is easy to install. otherwise you could pickup a si (d16a6 for really cheap froms omeone and drop a vtec (z6) head on it or something like that...

zc = 135-140hp
z6 = 135-140hp
d16a6 = 110hp
b16a1 = 160hp

if you're going to do the WHOLE swap (but an entire zc) you can get a whole b16a1 swap for like $1500. that includes everything, axles, motor, tranny, ecu, linkage, and mounts.

so i mean, if you're going to drop the 900 on a full zc swap, just save the cash and get rides to where for like 2 weeks and then buy the b16

nathan

Ya my zc was cheap too, $700 shipped for motor to my door, $200 for tranny including shift linkage (car was an automatic), $50 for ecu, $100 for misc parts/wire/broken items and $80 for clutch.

My brother has a 91 Civic Standard as you do and we swapped a D16A6 (88-91 Si engine) in for just over $300, that inlcuded the cost of the engine.

Engine - $200 (already had new Timing Belt, Water Pump, Alternator)
Harness - $40
Passenger Mirror - $20
Car was already a 5 speed when we got it.
I used an existing 90 Integra engine harness and injector box to convert to MPFI...

It was a fun project... its your money, your car do what you like,,,

Back