Clearing The Cat

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Are you retarded??? If you really feel that the "extra" flow from a straight pipe or gutted cat makes a difference get a hi-flow cat. The converter is there for a reason and despite what you think, a cat does not hamper the performance of a small Honda engine. You might see an improvement if you were running a 5.7l Chevy engine with a Honda cat and then removed it, but you will not see a significant difference in performance from cat to straight pipe on your 1.6-2.2l I4.

Ok, I've said it in a thread before.. and I'll say it again.

My car:

Originally with stock cat = 185whp on the dyno
Later with straight pipe, running richer = 185whp on the dyno
Even later with Random Tech cat, tuned better = 185whp on the dyno

Considering that my engine was starting to lose power bit by bit because I was screwing with the VAFC every now and then to compensate for crappy Oklahoma gas, I'd say that the straight pipe probably gained me 1 or 2 hp max. That's it. I know that I couldn't feel the difference, and the dyno really didn't either.

Sound:

Stock = nice and low
Straight pipe = raspy as hell
Random Tech = almost getting to raspy, but you really have to listen for it... it's much closer to the stock sound than the straight pipe is.

Conclusion = stock cat is in a box, straight pipe is in a box. The Random Tech is on the car.

My CRX's cat is all broken inside, and it's going to be replaced with a high-flow when I get the chance to replace it.

I didnt mean for this to turninto a heated arguement... btu have fun.. I was just asking my wuestion was answered along time ago by Eric... but thanks everyone for your input!

I just wanted to clear up some misconceptions with real numbers. The "cat or no cat" debate is always pretty heated, no matter where you go.

ok thanks a lot of the numbers and facts and all that... see ya around...

Test Pipe, very cheap and you get to keep your cat in your closet. Get really tricky and weld the shell of the cat onto the test pipe for those pesky po po's.

Milan

Originally posted by JDMilan@May 11 2003, 06:13 PM
Test Pipe, very cheap and you get to keep your cat in your closet. Get really tricky and weld the shell of the cat onto the test pipe for those pesky po po's.

Milan

thought about doing that exact same thing to mine, untill i read all the posts about the raspy shit sounding exhaust, i forgot about honda and back pressure also

Here is from my experience:

1st setup on hatchy= DC4-1, TestPipe, 2.25 Crushbent piping with 5 zigen fireball axleback.

2nd setup on hatchy= JDM 4-1 2.5 collector, test pipe, Apex'i WS exhaust "with resonator"

So what happened??????

1st setup = Fucking loud as all hell, I can't believe I never got a noise violation, I mean loud like if you were driving next
me then you could have to cover your ears, especially in upper rpms.

2nd setup = Perfect, nice and quiet, just music to my ears, great exhaust and it was a cheap exhaust at the time.

The resonator and style of muffler made the big difference, and yes i think it will get louder without a cat inplace there.

Milan

yeah i agree..ive got NO cat with complete 5zigen exhaust and mine is hella loud..i could be cruisin in 5th doin 60 and its sounds like im doin a 100..it def gets annoyin after a awhile..

What I am saying is that in my case the resonator and bigger muffler actually made a difference. My exhaust wasn't at all nasty, shit I got complements on how Low Key it was,,

good luck,

Milan

Back