Clutch Squeaking at idle

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Umm .. just another question on the subject.
Do i actually have to drain the transmission oil to replace my throw out bearing ? .. dont think so .. am i right ? :huh:
In brief apart from the trans housing from the engine ... all i have to remove to get to the bearing is the clutch and flywheel ?

Thanks again

(ps: Regarding this squeaking throw out bearing .. is it the same as the release bearing ? .. where is it located? )

yes, throw out is the same as release bearing...

uhm, yes you need to remove both axles, and when you pull the axles the tranny fluid will come out, so its best to drain it prior to pulling the axles as it will make a huge fucking mess...

and the axles will prob be a bitch to get out, so be prepared, crow bar = your friend...

the throw out /release bearing does the following, when you push your clutch down, the arm puts force on the bearing, which in turn puts force on the pressure plate... the pressure plate is spinning, so there is a bearing there to allow the plate to still spin freely while its being "opened" to allow the clutch to "free wheel"

its also a bitch to get the bearing off the arm sometimes, but it shouldn;t be too bad...
try adjusting your clutch first to see if that will make the noise go away...

you dont have to remove the flywheel or clutch to take off the bearing.

There are about 12 bolts that hold the transmission on including the starter
There is one hydraulic line
There are 2 axles, or 2 axles and an intermediate shaft.
I would reccomend draining the fluid and replacing it....just drain it right from the start

If you do decide to do the clutch and flywheel
I believe its either 9 or 10 special 12 point bolts for the pressure plate.
and I think it was 8 bolts for the Flywheel.

Support the transmission and motor with different supports. You remove anything that would get in you way. Remove the axles. Then the starter, then the remaining 10 bolts plus the 4 on the flywheel cover. Then remove the lower mount nut then the top mounts bolt. You should be able to take the trans off..

If I missed something its because I'm not in that "right" state of mind right now.

Hey guys ... regarding torqueing everything to specs // .. i dont have a torque wrench that goes up to 120 nm for the flywheel... hmmmm

Would an impacter work ? or ......

Back