Clutch/tranny random issues (weird)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tdg

My 98 GSR has 135k miles, everything OEM.
I find it odd that recently, the car has been acting strange but only randomly.
Some days, it will drive fine with no problems.
But there are times, when I will be at a stop, let's say in neutral. Push in clutch no problem, but getting the shifter into first is nearly impossible. And when it finally goes in it makes a slight metal sound, not like a grind, but something weird. But then once I'm moving, I can shift into second or whatever with no problem. In a nutshell, first is sometimes a bitch.

And sometimes paired with that, I could be in neutral at a stop. Get in gear, still stopped, and the car shakes a bit. Put it back in neutral, and it's fine again.

And other times, I will get it in gear and start moving, but it shakes violently like it would if it were about to stall, but the clutch is still mostly engaged, and I'm giving it gas. Almost like the clutch is going out?

Now, it's so strange because these events seem random and can change even daily. The past few days, it's been driving fine.
Since I've noticed these problems I've been going very easy on her, but I never drove her very hard consistently to begin with.

The clutch will act up occaisonally like that, and once in a while it seems to slip slightly or not push in with ease, but most of the time it's fine. And my tranny will not grind unless I'm a dumbass and am not careful. However the synchros are 135k old, and could benefit from replacement?

Someone told me my pressure plate might need replacement? And while I'm at it, get a new clutch because an OEM one is only a couple hundred? I also was told the tranny isn't the issue..and that makes sense because usually it shifts just fine, just that random getting-into-first-being-a-bitch thing.
Does anyone have any ideas? I don't know much about these things and need some advice.

I'm pretty sure its time for you to replace the clutch disc/pressure plate.
My 95 LS did that. Then clutch job, then it was fixed.

Thanks!
I see...pressure plate. About how much $ am I looking at here? Any recommendation where I should go; I don't know how to do this stuff on my own. Is a dealer gonna charge too much do you think?

If you're talking about tranny fluid; I changed it a couple months ago, and it has shifted better since then.
But I'm not so sure it is the tranny being the issue here... seems like a clutch thing?

First things first. Check the freeplay on the clutch pedal. It should be about 3/4 inch freeplay. Any more than that and the clutch will not disengage all the way and cause the symptoms you are describing.

The procedure for adjusting should be in both haynes and chilton if you don't already know how.

changing a clutch is not that big of a task, if you are mechanically inclined, then you'll have no prob with a clutch change. it takes me about three hours and i'm done. of course i use a lift which is a huge help, but it can be done on the driveway, super easy, its just time consuming. i'd rather you do it your self if you feel comfortable then spend $700-1000 at a honda dealership. if you do decide, i recommend you picking up a Helms manual "helminc.com" it is the complete book that honda uses to fix our cars, its very helpful. the best money i ever spent on a book. good luck bro.

oh, one more thing. just to make things easyer for you, get a flywheel too, its just nicer to know eveerything is new, plus you don't have to go around looking to get it machined. you can pick up an oem one for around $100, or you can get a lightened one for about double.

Buy a new clutch set before things go bad and causes a problem with the tranny. I had the same symptoms then everything started to work fine again. 2 months down the road clutch and tranny were completely screwed. Clutch kits can run from $98 to $400 (oem through stage 4) try ebay. good sellers are gripforce and proclutch. changing it isn't that big of a pain either if you are mechanically inclined.

Back