Computer ? of the day #2

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Tonyd0821

Banned
for now, untill i buy a new laptop, im stuck using an old p2 E-machines Celeron 466mhz piece of shit computer. i got dsl on it, but only 96 megs of ram. im too cheap to shell out 40.00 for more memory.

here is the problem

the dsl CONSTANTLY fucking stops for like a minute every 10 minutes or so, then comes back on. the techs say its because Im at 50% system resources on my comp, which can be fixed by adding more memory BUT im not going to keep this computer for more than 2 more months and dont see the point in wasting 40.00 on 128 megs more of memory.

anyone tell me how to "free up system resources" on windows 98se WITHOUT adding more memory?

tytyty :worthy:

im not. even on only one browser open it still lags....

i tried going to RUN then typing in MSCONFIG and going to STARTUP but not sure what i can and cant allow to "not start up" when the computer boots up

I make my PII 450 SING by keeping it clear of trash. Only lately have I not been able to run software due to minimum requirements (I can't run URU on this machine)

I'm moving my guts over to the P666 this weekend though. So I should be clear.

-> Steve

im @ 85% system resources BEFORE the dsl comes on...when the dsl program comes on (that allows me to get online) it takes me down to something like 60% system resources.

too bad you cant run XP. resource hog it is, it has biult in PPPOE for dsl.

jot down in here what runs when your turn on. i can pick through a few for you. if you have fileshare progs that run on startup, just pull them outta the startup folder inthe start menu, and run manually when needed. imesh takes up 20mb of memory just by itself.

is it connected through usb? my computer actually goes a little slower when its hookeup up through usb. i read somewhere that when using broadband through usb it uses cpu to keep it connected and system memory, while ethernet has its own resources.

Originally posted by K2e2vin@Jan 10 2004, 02:44 PM
is it connected through usb? my computer actually goes a little slower when its hookeup up through usb. i read somewhere that when using broadband through usb it uses cpu to keep it connected and system memory, while ethernet has its own resources.

yes, since ethernet uses its own controller.

It shouldnt hurt anything to just uncheck everything at your startup if you wanted too. It may not be the resources, it could be your DSL modem, or even the lines. I rarely see resources being a problem, considering i work at an ISP. Hope i helped...

96MB of RAM on 98SE should be enough... Yes I say it to almost everyone, but it helps almost everyone...

Reformat and reinstall. :p

You'd be amazed how fast 98SE can bitrot... I recommend a total wipe and restore about every 6 weeks with 98, about every 6-8 months with XP.

Originally posted by DarkHand@Jan 10 2004, 03:09 PM
96MB of RAM on 98SE should be enough... Yes I say it to almost everyone, but it helps almost everyone...

Reformat and reinstall. :p

You'd be amazed how fast 98SE can bitrot... I recommend a total wipe and restore about every 6 weeks with 98, about every 6-8 months with XP.

dude, i JUST reformatted three days ago !!!!!!!!!

funny thing is, it runs even slower now !!!

as for the programs that are open...

i CANNOT get that fucking AIM to stop loading when I start up...i click it off, it clicks itself right back on....

Scan Regsitry
Task Monitor
System tray
loadpowerprofile
aticwd32 (think its the built in sound card on the mother board....ati...)
sound fusion

loadqm
loadpowerprofile

and thats about it :worthy:

ok mang i had this prob with windows ME and plus i play counter strike so i need resources, basically you can close everything except explorer and rundll and systray and i wouldnt close the ati thing,

the loadqm is ghey, it doesnt do anything, loadpowerprofile, sounds like spyware sound fusion, i dunno what that is, .. .just close stuff

if ur system becomes unstable, just remember what not to close... all it can do really is freeze ur computer....

i got a stick of 256 sd just sitting in my car if ya want it.but i run xp on p2 350 with exploere and all kinda shit goin and it does fine. with 128. but i am on cable tho

Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Jan 10 2004, 02:23 PM
im not going to keep this computer for more than 2 more months and dont see the point in wasting 40.00 on 128 megs more of memory.

anyone tell me how to "free up system resources" on windows 98se WITHOUT adding more memory?

tytyty :worthy:

haaaaaahahahhaah... 40 bucks for 128? Not if you're ME... :D I went to get more memory one day last winter for my other computer with my brother, we stopped in at a place here in town and I picked up a four speaker system and a 64 mb stick to add to my other 64 mb stick in there already, I get up to the counter and she rings up my speakers and the stick of memory and the total comes to 66.xx something or another...well the speakers were 60 bucks themselves...so I walked out of there with free ram. :D :D :D I looked at my receipt, it didn't even show the ram on there...and they never called or anything. I gots $30 worth of ram for FREE! :D

...on to my suggestion...try deleting a whole shit load of programs you never use anymore. Keep your harddrive as open as possible. Just keep IE and your aol list on there.

Originally posted by IDMaxGuy@Jan 10 2004, 08:33 PM
ok mang i had this prob with windows ME and plus i play counter strike so i need resources, basically you can close everything except explorer and rundll and systray and i wouldnt close the ati thing,

the loadqm is ghey, it doesnt do anything, loadpowerprofile, sounds like spyware sound fusion, i dunno what that is, .. .just close stuff

if ur system becomes unstable, just remember what not to close... all it can do really is freeze ur computer....

sound fusion... no idea either. thats wierd you have that little running and are having problems.

darkhand: reformat xp every 6-8 months? wow... ive been running the same install of XP SP1 since i built my system well over a year ago. dual pIII 1ghz and 1.5gb of ram with a 120gb hdd. no problems, ever.

dvus: he doesnt have antivirus running, unless he didnt tell us.

mike: ill take that off your hands if its pc-133. :)

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jan 10 2004, 10:18 PM
i'll sell you a 128 stick for 20 shipped... i think i have a few layign around :)

really? lemme pm ya in a few days....i would have to take a picture of the RAM i got right now....im clueless when it comes to identifying ram....the computer is like 4 years old.

and no antivirus....no nothing....just a SHITTY celeron processor @ 400mhz....

ill take you up on your offer brian !!!

better make sure its the right kind; ddr, sdram, and bus speed. i got a 128mb stick that i bought for older computer that is pc133 and doesnt work with the pc100 bus.

Back