Confessions of a used car salesman

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i would also like to add that you are doing no good if you are too nice to the salesperson. you must be firm, and assertive, otherwise they will talk you into buying a car when you really dont want to.

Dealers hate me when i accompany a relative or friend to buy a new or used car.

i used this trick when i helped my ex ex ex g/f (three girlfriends ago) buy her brand new 2000 gsr.

went into the dealership, the guys swarmed on us like flies on shit. i told them firmly that we were just looking, and that if we had any questions we would come over to where they were sitting and ask.

now i was "in control"

we looked around for about an hour, while no less than 6 diff. salesmen came up to us, or said "hi" as they were "walking by".....funny how they like to walk to the far end of the lot for no reason at all....

anyways she found the car she wanted, and i approached the original salesman and we all went inside.

i forget the numbers that i wanted, but they started that "trade in" bullshit, and every time i went high on the trade in, they went high on the monly payments or the down payment. so it was pretty much a mexican standoff for about 1 1/2 hours.

my chick was getting tired of it, i was having the time of my life. i could tell the salesman wanted to beat the shit out of me for insulting him and his company.

alls i wanted was a fair deal, and in doing my research i came up with some numbers that would be fair to the dealership, while at the same time keeping within my chicks budget.

they wanted to fuck me.

so as the salesmen went out of his office for the umpteenth time to run my latest figures by his boss, i had a great idea.

i called my brother and told him to call me back in 10 mintues, then hang up.

the salesman walked back into the office and reject my offer again (no surprise)
so 10 minutes pass and my cell phone rings.

i interrupted the salesman when he was talking to me, ( i said not a word, i just put my pointy finger in the air in the middle of one of his sentences and answered my phone)

as soon as i answered the phone, my brother who was on the other end, hung up as instructed. now the fun began. i forget exactly what i said, but it went something like this:

"Hey Dad, whats up? Uh huh...U huh, well we are at the acura dealership right now and trying to hammer out a deal......(i said some more shit that was important..but i forgot)
Ok dad, you just got back from south bay Acura and they said they were willing to go with my original figures?" blah blah blah (that last sentence was the final nail in the coffin for the salesman, i could see his face just drop)

anyways, i hung up my "phone call" and proceeded to tell the salesman that we were going up to South bay acura to check out the offer they made my dad...

he stammered away in trying to find something to say, but i got my chick up and we left.

we went to my car and drove a few blocks to Macdonalds down the street.

not more than 10 minutes went by when the salesman called me back and asked me if i was on my way to the other dealership. i said yes. he said that if i were to come back right this minute, he would give me my original figures and we could take the car then and there.....

it pays to fuck with salesmen.

sorry for the long post

:worthy: :worthy: One of these days I'll be that good with fuckin with people.

When I went and test drove that Civic SI with my dad, he was all nice and calm and very talkative with the guy. As soon as the sales guy started talkin numbers my dad laid it on thick. I was like holy shit.

The guy never pressured me, never tried to make me do anything, he just got my information, dropped the price another 275 dollars and told me he'd call us on Monday at noon. :lol:

i've worked at 2 dealerships in the last 3+ years and most of the sales people that are good people get fired after a few months because being nice doesn't bring in the big bucks . . . and most car sales people make an hourly wage of 7-10 dollars an hour so commission is what makes there pay checks.

honestly your best bet when buying a new or used car from a dealership is to sneak in the back and talk to a tech. of the 2 places i worked at all the techs know the best salesman for customers and the asshole sales people usually treat the techs like shit. generally sales and service people do not get along at all. of all the sales people at my work i would only recommend 2 of them to someone looking for a good deal on a car in good condition (if used) plus the techs are usually the ones inspecting the used cars. so we know if its a real POS and we are usually pissed off if they didn't want to fix things on it because techs also make there pay checks off of the amount of work they do. so we would gladly tell you if the car is a POS cause we don't want some asshole salesmen to make a big chunk of change off a car because the sales department was too cheap to pay us to fix the car.

My buddy used to work at multiple dealerships, he was good at it. Anyway, some of the guys were major assholes, and the others were generally nice guys. It just depends on the person on the deal they get. Think about it, if you were in their situation, trying to support your family you would try to make the most money possible, that is normal. If the person buying the car is dumb enough to fall for a stupid deal whose fault is that. I remember my buddy telling me that this one salesman sold a car to a dumb lady. He was putting B.S. fee on top of B.S. fee. My favorite one was "This and That" fees. He told the lady that if she took the deal right now he would drop the $2,000 "this and that" fee. :bo:

Anyway, the reason that the guys in the back try to rip you off the most is because they get the most commision. The closer is what I know them as, and some of those guys make 100 thousand plus a year just in Commision. They make bank, but it is hard to become a closer, you need a lot of experience, and be extremely good at a Salesman. Sorry for the long post.

Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Sep 28 2003, 03:07 PM

the salesman walked back into the office and reject my offer again (no surprise)

i interrupted the salesman when he was talking to me, ( i said not a word, i just put my pointy finger in the air in the middle of one of his sentences and answered my phone)

as soon as i answered the phone, my brother who was on the other end, hung up as instructed. now the fun began. i forget exactly what i said, but it went something like this:

"Hey Dad, whats up? Uh huh...U huh, well we are at the acura dealership right now and trying to hammer out a deal......(i said some more shit that was important..but i forgot)
Ok dad, you just got back from south bay Acura and they said they were willing to go with my original figures?" blah blah blah (that last sentence was the final nail in the coffin for the salesman, i could see his face just drop)

:werd: We did that when I bought my truck and when my mom bought her Passat. I also brought my uncle with me who sells cars. He knew how to counteract all of their tricks. We would also call up other dealerships saying the deal we were getting and what they could do for us right in front of the sales manager.
I got a really good deal on my truck. I got the GM discount because my grandmother worked for GM, so the price of the truck was set in stone. On my trade in I got an original offer of $3000 for my loaded 95 Blazer. I was about to walk out the door, so they went up a thousand dollars. We do a little more bsing and get it upto 4500. They would budge. So I called up another dealership that is this dealerships main competiton. They said they would beat the deal, but they didnt have the truck I wanted on the lot. We used this to our advantage. We just said the other dealership is giving us 4900 for the trade. So this dealership comes back with if you buy it right now we'll give you 5000. Me and my uncle went outside and came back in dicking them around a little bit and got free oil changes for the life of the warranty. Keep in mind the trade in value of this truck was 4200, and retail value is 4800-5500, plus it needed some work. Then on the financing they make some money off of you. Its usually .5%-2%. I went and got my own financing from AAA which was 3/4 of a percent lower. They made no money off of me. Nothing like getting a 26,500 truck for 19640. Then getting 5000 for a trade in plus free oil changes.

Originally posted by Jeef+Sep 28 2003, 06:12 PM-->
Tonyd0821
@Sep 28 2003, 03:07 PM

:werd: We did that when I bought my truck and when my mom bought her Passat. I also brought my uncle with me who sells cars. He knew how to counteract all of their tricks. We would also call up other dealerships saying the deal we were getting and what they could do for us right in front of the sales manager.
I got a really good deal on my truck. I got the GM discount because my grandmother worked for GM, so the price of the truck was set in stone. On my trade in I got an original offer of $3000 for my loaded 95 Blazer. I was about to walk out the door, so they went up a thousand dollars. We do a little more bsing and get it upto 4500. They would budge. So I called up another dealership that is this dealerships main competiton. They said they would beat the deal, but they didnt have the truck I wanted on the lot. We used this to our advantage. We just said the other dealership is giving us 4900 for the trade. So this dealership comes back with if you buy it right now we'll give you 5000. Me and my uncle went outside and came back in dicking them around a little bit and got free oil changes for the life of the warranty. Keep in mind the trade in value of this truck was 4200, and retail value is 4800-5500, plus it needed some work. Then on the financing they make some money off of you. Its usually .5%-2%. I went and got my own financing from AAA which was 3/4 of a percent lower. They made no money off of me. Nothing like getting a 26,500 truck for 19640. Then getting 5000 for a trade in plus free oil changes.

you>dealer
dealer was :owned:

ANDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Page 2 :eek:wned

don't bargain on shit at a dealership. Go there, tell them your going to get x dollars for your car, and your going to pay y dollars for theirs. Stick to these numbers, and violently insist on them. If they don't agree, give them your phone number and walk out. Tell them that if they can match your numbers, you will buy the car.

They will call, or give you the deal right there, most certainly. And if they don't, fuck them, buy it somewhere else.

<---- used to work at a car dealership.

Back