Coolant Hoses Compressing, Why?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I just noticed this today when changing my oil:

333750_21_full.jpg

I showed my father and he's never seen that before. He opened the radiator cap and air went inside and the hoses expanded back to normal. Now I'm thinking there is air in the coolant, right?

Happens with both the upper and lower radiator hoses.

Anyone explain why this is happening to my Eg/GSR?

Thanks!

for one, your hoses are probally bad, they should be rigid enough to withstand pressure (or negative pressure). Also, you probally have a clog somewhere. I would replace the hoses and thermostat and then with a garden hoses, flush the system with water until tthe water comes out clear from the other side. Do this to the radaitor then the block. Next put one side of the hoses back on and blow into it to get all the extra water out (so you can keep a good 50/50 mix) then put everything back together and fill with pre mixed coolant (hondas dont hold enough to do a good 50/50 coolant) and then bleed the system

Do you have the stock radiator cap? Using one that is not rated at the same pressure could cause you problems.
Jes

Originally posted by Rocketir@May 1 2003, 03:49 PM
Do you have the stock radiator cap? Using one that is not rated at the same pressure could cause you problems.
Jes

Should I be using the Civic cap or a GSR cap? The radiator is a dual core from Autozone for a vtec sol.

Back