Couple of questions...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ssl2k

Alright..This will be one of my last threads about the zc...well prolly not but i'll try to keep them mostly to this thread from now on.

I have just a couple of questions..

I've taken my zc apart and already had the head resurfaced...they took off 0.008s off of it, but there is still a mark/dip in the block that is about the size of like half a penny between 2 of the holes...it doesn't make contact with any of the holes...so basicly it is just in the flat peice of the block. I layed the blown head gasket up to it and it was in one of the worse spots of the head gasket. I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow and post them online so yall can see it a bit better...but is this going to affect my engine in any major way...I'm planning on adding a n2o kit soon...prolly wet after asking a few people..they dont seem to liek dry that much. If i can get a good deal on a turbo kit i'd be adding that also too..

And is taking 0.008's off going to raise my compression much?...

I had my block set to the side and someone moved the pistons on me...now what does this mean as far as setting it up w/ my cams and or timing...How do I find the TDC again?

oh yeah...I pulled on of the head bolts out and there was a rather large amount of oil on it...It was basicly covered in oil... Should I be worried about this or is the oil on the bolt probably from the head gasket being blown? Or does this mean a cracked block?

I'll try ot post pics of the head + old head gasket tomorrow.

Thanks

Nathan

Well, any dent in the block surface that is going to be in contact with the cylinder head is gonna cause problems. I have no idea what could have caused a problem like that. Milling the head 8 thousandths will not make a big difference in your cr, maybe a point at most. I'd take the block down to the same place you had the head surfaced, and see if the block is able to be spec'd out. If the nick or whatever is there is too deep, you may need to get a new block. That is a worst case scenario though. Def. get it taken care of before you put the engine back together, or your motor will take another dump. IMO no n2o on that motor without serious sleeving or sometype of reinforcement, unless this is just a beater car you don't care about. As far as setting the block back to TDC, just rotate the crank to where the piston farthest away from the transmission side is all the way in the cylinder. Just make sure you lube the cylinder walls with a little oil. As to the bolt covered in oil, maybe that bolt didn't get torqued to spec when the motor was worked on last, and so it could have been covered in oil from the top end of the head. Best of luck, get some arp bolts if you are rebuilding it.

Originally posted by MikeBergy@Apr 18 2004, 02:40 PM
As far as setting the block back to TDC, just rotate the crank to where the piston farthest away from the transmission side is all the way in the cylinder. Just make sure you lube the cylinder walls with a little oil.

All the way down or up?

Originally posted by H22AdelSol@Apr 18 2004, 07:21 PM
-all the way in (down)

uh, wrong, tdc will have the #1 piston all thw way up. The pistons in the middle should be all the way down. The outside pistons will be all the way up, hence the name TOP dead center. sorry, I was thinking faster than I was typing in that last reply.

Alright..I am putting it all together today so i'll let ya all know how it came out

nathan

Back