CPU Too Hot?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

endlesszeal

I have an AMD 1700+ paired with an ASUS A7V266 with a Kingston 512mb with 2 DVDR drives and two hard drives. I have an antec cpu heatsink and 2 antec fans for intake and outtake. Anyway, ive noticed with the ASUS probe that my cpu is always above 60 and under full load its 65C. Is that way too hot?
I did some research and some say its okay and some say its way too hot. People are braggin how theirs never goes over 50C using the same processor, but some sites say if it doesnt go over 70, there should be no panicing because most processors fall around 90.
Anyway, if it is too hot, i was thinking about getting some ARtic Silver paste too cool it down.
Any comments or suggestions are welcomed.

Yup, that's way too hot. You're still within the manufacturer's operating range for the CPU, but it's not going to last too long at those temperatures. Try running Motherboard Monitor to make sure you're getting the absolute correct temperatures. Also make sure that you have good contact between the heat sink and the processor. I suspect that you don't even have a thermal pad in between the sink and the chip right now.

I'm running one of my computers with an XP1900+, an old Alpha heat sink, and a small low profile fan with the only other fan on the power supply- the CPU never gets above 42C at idle and never above 50C at full load. Yours should be at least that cool.

I installed Motherboard Monitor and my temp is at 64C!! Uh is it okay for me to still run the computer? Im downloading an anime via bittorrent and its pretty rare so if i shut down, i might not get the seeders again.

If you're using the right BT setup, you should be able to find the seeds again quickly if you're only disconnected for a short time.

I would definitely do something about your system. That's way too hot. If you have to, go to Radio Shack and get their cheapie thermal grease, then add some in between your CPU and heat sink. Something is seriously wrong if your chip is running that hot. Have you checked to make sure that your CPU voltages are set correctly?

I think so. Everything is set to default. The voltage monitor says 12.342, 4.919, 3.24. and 1.84.
I took of the case and the temp dropped a whole 10C. Can I leave it like that for say a night, like 12 hrs. Thats how much time i have left. i really dont want to restart it because a day ago my sister turned off the computer on accident and it took a whole day to get another tracker. It kept saying tracker error. The site i got it from closed down.
Anyway, i went ahead and ordered Arctic Silver 5 for 10 bucks for 3.5g off Zipzoomfly so when it gets here imma apply that.

:shrug2: my Xeons run close to that hot at full load.....but then again, I don't know anything about AMD chips.

...and I have swiftech HS's with Artic Silver and vantec tornadoes....

Originally posted by endlesszeal+Jan 15 2005, 05:57 PM-->
I think so. Everything is set to default. The voltage monitor says 12.342, 4.919, 3.24. and 1.84.
I took of the case and the temp dropped a whole 10C. Can I leave it like that for say a night, like 12 hrs. Thats how much time i have left. i really dont want to restart it because a day ago my sister turned off the computer on accident and it took a whole day to get another tracker. It kept saying tracker error. The site i got it from closed down.
Anyway, i went ahead and ordered Arctic Silver 5 for 10 bucks for 3.5g off Zipzoomfly so when it gets here imma apply that.
[post=446186]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah you can leave it like that. If your case temp dropped when you pulled the cover off, then you have airflow issues inside your case- either bad airflow routing or just not enough moving through your case. Ideally, your fans should be set up so that your intake is at the bottom front of the case, and your exhaust at the top rear. You want to move the cold air in one direction through your case, pass it over your CPU, then dump it at the top.

ktanaka
@Jan 15 2005, 05:59 PM
:shrug2: my Xeons run close to that hot at full load.....but then again, I don't know anything about AMD chips.
...and I have swiftech HS's with Artic Silver and vantec tornadoes....
[post=446188]Quoted post[/post]​

Intel chips are generally more heat tolerant than AMD chips (pre A64). At the very least, Intel CPUs will shut themselves off if the temperature gets too high. AMD chips aren't so good at doing that. :)

hmm.. thats how i have it set up. i checked out the core 0 it says 1.84 and i thought it was the cpu voltage. i rebooted my cpu and checked and the its set to default, 1.75v. is core 0 my cpu? how there is a .09v in difference if it is??

i thought motherboards can also shut off the computer if it gets too hot? mine is running at arond 35C right now(athlon 1.4ghz) with gibabyte motherboard. all the FSB and voltage switches are put on 0; which should be "default" for the cpu.

They can, but that varies by motherboard- and you have to have it enabled for it to work. :)

ive been trying to set the voltage down to 1.75 as specified but i cant. Manually or through the BIOS. I did some searching and someone said it could be something fried or its a BIOS error. Im sure the the senors are correct because im using the ASUS ultility and MM5 and they both say 1.84v. Anyway, my cpu still runs at 55 idle with the case on and it gets to around 60 100% load. And tehre is no new bios except a beta. Would downloading the beta be okay? or should i just wait for the arctic silver and see what happens.

Don't run a beta bios unless you really know what you're doing. Your Asus motherboard should let you change the voltage unless it came in a pre-built PC- I don't see why you can't. You can even try running under the specified voltage of the CPU to get it to run cooler, especially if you're not overclocking it.

For now, I'd say to wait for your thermal goo and then hope it helps.

I bought Arctic Silver 5 and used it. Didnt help. What a waste of 12 bucks for a tube of junk the size of your pinky. I did what the instructions said. Small amount, rice grain, on the CPU core and spread it for thin later. Small amount on heat sink and rub it in and wipe it away.
Anyway, I noticed I had an extra slot on top of the tower for an extra fan. Would getting an extra fan help? The top slot is however covered by the computer tower. Like there is a plan to put a fan but the top part of the case is removable and is covering the hole. If yes, what kind of fan? What type of CFM? Im looking not to be too loud. I was thinking an Antec 80mm Dual Ball Bearing with a 34CFM for 12 bucks shipped.
Another question, may seem stupid. How should you set up ur fans for the heat seak? I have a fan on the bottom front of the tower and rear top of the tower. My PSU has two fines, one blowing right about the CPU. Oh yeah, how can you tell if ur fans are set right? I tried with a piece of a recipet but it looked like both too me, sucking and pulling.
Anyways, any help would greatly be appericiated.

Ah, you don't have any airflow going through your case. Trust me- the Silver paste helps a LOT, but if there's nowhere for the heat to go (surrounding air), then your chip is still going to be hot.

You need to increase the airflow in your case. Try to populate ALL the fan mount locations in your case, and set everything up so your airflow moves from the bottom front toward to upper rear of the case. Basically, intake = bottom front, exhaust = top rear. Balance your airflow by adding up the numbers from the fan manufacturer specs so that you have about an equal amount of air moving into and out of the case. If you must have a large mismatch in intake/exhaust flows, set your case up so that your intake flow is stronger (higher CFM numbers) than your exhaust flow.

Your fans really should be able to blow on a receipt and tell you which way air is moving.... but if you really can't figure it out, computer case fans generally blow "through" the motor. The fan motors are typically supported with a few ribs that run from the outer shell to the center, and the air typically blows out from those ribs. Understand?

If you have big pieces of metal or plastic parts of the case in the way of your air flow, just cut them out and attach thin wire grilles on top of the fans. You'd be surprised how much air restriction all the plastic covers and stamped metal grilles create.

Here's a bit of an extreme example... I needed more air flow (one of my older cases, this was done 5 years ago) in my main computer, so I cut a few holes and added some fans.

This picture gives you an idea of what most case manufacturers think a "good" fan grille should look like, but it's just not good enough:

full_tower_cuts_19.jpg

So I did this:

full_tower_cuts_06.jpg

full_tower_cuts_07.jpg

full_tower_cuts_10.jpg

full_tower_cuts_11.jpg

full_tower_cuts_13.jpg

full_tower_cuts_17.jpg

full_tower_cuts_18.jpg

full_tower_cuts_21.jpg

Get the idea? Remove restriction, then add airflow so the heat has a way to leave your case.

By the way, hit up Newegg or Geeks.com to buy all your fans.... they're much cheaper there.

would a side fan help? I was thinking of getting a higher flow cfm and putting it on the intake and take that one and place it for the blow hole since it had a cfm like 24. Then drill a hole for a 120mm side fan.
Oh yeah what brands? I want dont want it too loud. Right now i can buzzes and shit and its getting annoying. I looked at Sunon but people say their too loud. I cant find a place to get Panaflo, which were recommened, and the Vantec ones didnt seem to move enough air.

Back