crx h22 swap questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

-94-AccordH22

hello. my friend rode in my acclude and he loves the h22. well he wants to get a crx and put one in it because he saw someones crx with h22 and wow that thing was insane. but i told him its not worht the hassles and money. what do you guys think about the h22 swap into a crx.

is there a writeup on it?

i think the motor will cost at least $2800 and motor mounts will cost $500 and then he'll spend a hell of a lot more after that.

i'm doing that swap in my DA, and it's not cheap at all.

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?what=page&item=30016

^ HMotors says 2,200 + shipping for
- Motor
- Hydraulic Tranny
- ECU (P13)
- Axles with Half Shaft
- Shifter Cables
- Shifter Assembly
- Stock Motor Mounts *
- Alternator
- Starter
- Clutch
- Flywheel
- Intake Manifold
- Exhaust Manifold
- Fuel Rail
- Injectors
- Distributor
- Engine Harness
- Comes With All Sensors Needed

but all of those parts are for the original car the H22 is out of.. so he'd probably also be looking at.. probably different axles & half shaft, different shifter cables, and different motor mounts. on top of that, the wiring hassles, as well as probably some custom shit to make it all fit...

probably not many write-ups on it either.. i'd say its too much of a hassle to bother with..
i'd just go with a Turbo D/B-series build for the same $$ and less hassle..

mustang67n said:
http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?what=page&item=30016
2200 + s&h.

but all of those parts are for the original car the H22 is out of.. so he'd probably also be looking at.. probably different axles & half shaft, different shifter cables, and different motor mounts. on top of that, the wiring hassles, as well as probably some custom shit to make it all fit...
Then why pay for extra for the extra, unused parts?

Otherwise, what Mustang67n said is right on. It's will/would be a big job, that you could easily make WAY more power with a D or B series engine build. You could have yourself a fully built motor, even boosted for ~$3500, and making close to double the HP the stock H22 would provide.

http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?what=page&item=30015

Thats the one you'd wanna get if you still chose to go this route. It's still come out to about 2200 or so shipped, but thats about $200 less than what you'd pay for some extra mounts and linkage..........

I'd count on at least $3500 for the swap. Depending on what all your capable of doing on your own(i.e. custom fab work, obviously installing the motor, the extra wiring... etc).

It's a big, tedeous job, but then again, theres not a bunch of H22 crx's around....

-Andrew

Last edited:
another thing to consider is one of the best things about the crx....its weight. the h22 weighs considerably more than a d or b series and isnt really worth the extra power that could easily be made up with the money you would save. i also heard that the extra weight effects the handling balance in a crx/civic.

Then why pay for extra for the extra, unused parts?
i was just using the Hmotors price as an example :-D

i'd just stick with a B-series w/ a turbo.. or a built up D-series would be fun too.. lots of options with such a light car

I gotcha bro.. =)

And I agree completely.. stick to B and D's. I know they might be 'old', but you just can't argue with the performance they produce for the money...

If your interested:

RadiatorandFaninstalledfrontview.jpg

It will be a major headache. This is a race car that my father and I are doing. There's not a hell of alot of space in the engine bay. It's possible to get it in without cutting the firewall, but you'll need to tilt the engine. We didn't want to tilt the engine so we cut the firewall and put a hatch into it. I have a full build thread of this car on another site if your interested still.

thats retarded tell yr friend its not worth the time, or money crx has no power steering anyways try backing out of a parking spot with that motor over yr front wheels, what yr gaining in power yr losing alot in weight

First time post. Been reading for several weeks. I am in the middle of almost the same swap you are asking about.

I have an H23A1 in an 85 CRX. Yes it will fit but it is really tight. You cannot even think about having A/C and the alternator is really close to the stock crx front mount ears. Firewall must be adjusted ( large sledge hammer). All the engine mounts are pieced together from several other hondas and some parts are hand made.

As far as money goes, I found the car for $200, the h23 for $100 ( with blown headgasket and one bent rod). Tranny was $60 from Pull-a-Part, along with most of the other parts including a complete wiring harness from a 91 accord. Total so far less than $600.

This is a RACE ONLY vehicle. Everything that was inside and all the trim, lights and glass are gone. The car has a full roll cage because, and was built just for " Buzz Car" racing. Part of the rules is a $500 claim for anyone car, so it has to be cheap and could be totaled out at any time ( wrecks happen in racing).

Dieseltim

Back