Crx/type R

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RRRex

Been having some issues with my motor lately. 98 B18C5. Blowing white smoke. Plugs are reading lean and getting a humming sound coming out of the air intake filter from the throttle body. Anyone ever hear that before?

well the smoke question, i should know but for some reason i forgot what white smoke means.. anyway, check your hoses around IM/intake. also, many aftermarket intakes to make a slight hum, b/c of the increase in airflow into the IM, it also might make a whistle when u turn the car off, this is also normal. sounds kinda cool too ( my car does it :D )

another thought just came to me. whats ur timing at?, if ur running lean, then u might have the timing fully retarded. check that out and that might be the cause of ur lean problem. or check ur injectors.

white smoke is usually coolant being burned. if it is blu-ish white then its oil being burned. and if its black smoke ur running rich as fuck. have you been running it hard,? if so more than likely a head gasket problem.

Yeah, the car is mainly a track car and gets beat on frequently. In fact, it only gets beat on. The timing was really advanced, I just pulled it back a bit after the plugs read lean. Been having an IAC valve issue which I think I sorted out. Also throwing a 71 and 72 code. Engine misfiring in cylinder 1&2. I know I have to take it in, but want to hear as many theories as possible so I don't pay for work I don't need.

Back