crx wiring problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I just swapped an si engine harness and interior harness into my crx and now i have no power when i turn over the key. I have no idea what it could be i saw there is a few grounds so i connected all them if you can think of anything that would be holding me back i appreciate any info you can give me .....

All I can say is check all your connections, grounds, and fuses. And why did you switch to the Si harness?

the kid that had the car bfore me totally chopped the dx harness to hell it has a b16 in it and he was using a teg engine harness well a buddy had a whole rex that was wrecked which happend to be an si so i just took it off his hands thats how that happend. Ive lost alot of my honda knowledge its been a lil while since i had one so im sure its something simple. Is there any way you could tell me which grounds too look for? i know there is one in the back by the lights another one up by the dash fuse box then the one under the hood.

There is one on the thermostat housing, its two little black wires held on the top of the housing with a 10mm, its the ECU ground, without it hooked up you wont have any power to anything.

Im almost positive there should be two on there. When you turn the key to "on" does the red LED in the ECU flash once then go off?

no the red light doesnt light up at all. That was the first place i looked to make sure that i was gettin power and no action there. My ecu is fine cuz it ran w it bfore and when i took the whole other wiring harness out i unplugged it and brought it inside even took it apart and did a visual of it. I know the one ground that in on the block is just for fuel or whatever i had a crx w b18 in it and couldnt figure out y it wouldnt start cuz i was gettin no fuel as soon as i hooked that up it started but i cant think of where the second one is. Thanks for all ur help got any more ideas? lol i have aol if it s easier to talk on there sn is kwninjaal03

I wish I had my car at my house or I would go look at it to see them all (B16 EF), and its hurting my brain trying to think of all these grounds. Do you have the ground for the vtec switch hooked up? The alternator plugged in? Any of the Maxi-fuses blown in the black box on the shock tower? Battery terminals tight? Did you swap any relays when you swapped the harnnesses?

no for the ground for the vtec switch but it should still turn the car on wouldnt it? the relays are the same and i did check all the main fuses battery is okay this is givin me a headache too haha i wish i could figure it out

Hook up your vtec ground to the theromostat with the other one thats on there and while your down there look to see if there is antother ground in the harness, you got all the wires on the starter hooked up? If that LED doesnt flash for a second in the key on position, your not getting power to the ECU.

Last edited:
you think that would be the problem i thought that only controlled the vtec ive always had non vtec cars besides my civic this is the first vtec project ive had ill try that tomorrw and let you know thanks for all the help

Look for ground behind steering wheel. (My offical: Here I am Hondaswap 1st msg)

Theres a ground under the dash by hooked to the bottom right side of the steering colum on the teg wiring harrness in obd0, check n see if that one has one.. its real easy to miss and hard to find the bolt it goes on.. i pulled 2 integra dashboards out rebuilbing the blower box and swapping new heater core's in while I was back there.. That one always gave me hell hookin back up.. once u find it, its gravy train though!

My teg will be sold as soon as I get this 91 CRXsi down here from a guy in Kentucky (I'm in MS.) Theres a b18a block sittin in my garage on the stand, and the guys throwin in an obd-1 harrness n' ecu, and a b16a head w/ all the fixin's!!. Still lookin at my LS Trani on the floor out there thinkin $4it 3rd gear syncro's shot, weak differential.. but I guess its worth rebuilding and throwin a Quaiffe differential. in there since 91 is cable clutch anyways that'll hook right up. Gonna be interesting swapping the D out for the B (Kinda ass backwards huh? lol) i think its the d16's in the si stock, b16 in the JDM SiR? I could be wrong on that one..Not 100% up to par on EF's yet But the front of the engines on the passanger side in the d16 as of to drivers side on Teg's from what I've seen.. Wondering what kinda crazy mount that motors gonna be in there.., i'll read up on that more later on.... theres still a few things i'm working out in my head on this other build..... i'm back and forth N/A or F/I... probally got a book worth of notes jotted down.. I feel like Jim Carrey on that movie (23) scribblin on the walls.... but hell I got the rex comin,500lbs gone right there.. With my Ls/Vtec (b18a/b16a) goin on.. Really costing nothing to build. buying my nephews Gunmetal Motegi 17's for cheap, clean to, CRX is Black! I'll have bout a grand left over from sellin my TEG to get it runnin good w/ the b16a PR3 pistons, GSR Pumps n' Main Girdle, theres some block guards out there for $90 that'll let that water by just fine for a N/A motor to, get the rods strengthened n throw it all to gether so ithe cars atleast mocked up for the B-series and driving for now.. I know that'll put my compression alittle high @ bout 11.5:1 I'll just get a thicker headgasket n' go with it, Hopefully it'll last a year or two till i finish my badboy Big Turbo build for it! Gonna start that one right after this lil build.. It'll take me bout 2 or so (Waiting on mail crap).. (Bout 2 years probally till the Big Turbo build will be done though) so i'm back to comparing gt35r's gt37t's and gt40r's again Wichevers gonna spool fastest n still capable of 750hp).. shooting for a 700whp dyno pull on the badboy during tuning..@ bout 35lbs boost, but keep it cranked way down in the 450hp range daily driver (running a Hondata setup).. just gonna throw together what I got while the whole ferrea valve train w/ cam's n' dual springs.. (1,999 for whole set on ebay) Come together.. hope the cams are aggressive enough 20-30lbs of boost.. I like the Skunk2 cams better personally but hear they have hiccups.... The Ferrea Cams Keep the vtec wide open supposidly .. not kickin on at 4,500., Wide open Breathing hard @ about 3k rpm.. build up another b16 head for that (What ya'll think about those 909 b16 heads on ebay?) they claim to be made outa stronger material have "Superior" flow better so they say..???.. with a mild port and polish n' lil bowl blendind n' polishing.. i'unno.. but deffinatly not gonna slap a GSR girdle and block guard on a LS Bottom end for that build runnin that much boost! Why spend a grand just to sleeve it "If your lucky" when you can go for the b18c1 sleeved eagle block and not worry so much anout the remaining weak factors Like throwing a rod through the block cause that slight difference in stroke can be detrimental on the bearings.. Pauter 1000hp rods, probally JE pistons ..Poor CRX body's gonna rip apart!! I figure that one'll all be good n' built in a year or 2.. Its like everything gets to $400 a part , $800 a part $ 1,200 a part when u get up there in building it.. $3grand in the head, Edlebrock victorX Intake $399, eagle block and inteernals.. wheeww 3-4grand turbo setup & trani rebuild, $4 grand (keep the Build LS Trani for longer gears w/ the turbo). All the suspension, sway bars, 4way disc setup off a 94-95 EGsi but hell with it $12 grand will do it Hunting deals on Genuine parts not knock off crap cast parts... my last car I had 4 years invested into it $12 grand in the motor $30grand in the whole car and it wasnt even a car i wanted to work with.. It was pretty str8 near the end though cause i wanted to do something different with something noone was doing anything with.. I dont even wanna say what it was (Coughcough97saturnsl2coughcough) P.O.S. compared to my 2 Accords prior to that.. evem with 30 grand in it, It was still just a satty in my opinion.... Cops seized it from me.. laaammmeee... I really didnt get into all the math as much on that build.. didnt consider weight, 4 12's in the trunk all crushed penea interior tv's clear xbox mounted in the dash.. Cost ALOT cause theres nothing really out there for that car so finding $4it was hard,expensive, mostly custom, and totally not worth the wasted time.!! But for the $12g I had under that hood I can do something Lovely to this EF.... Well anyways I had to leave a post somewhere on here, and This forums right bout where I'm gonna be sittin this week.. CRX Electrical.. yay... ..I've read these forums front to back almost twice now.. I'm a import junkie.. SoRrRy I WroTe so much (but hell I've been wanting to throw myself infront of Hondaswap traffic for a while anyways..) but peice by peice you know how people will get to talkin like you dont know what your doin cause you aint mentioned part of it..(And people would think i'm throwin a t3/t67 on a stock LS w/ 200k miles on it, Cause I didnt lay down the specifics) I've built a good 20 motors and bout 8 trani's mostly DOHC 4's but a few 6's n 8's..I'm definatly NOT claiming to be a master mechanic by far, but I do know my ShYt.. oh yeah btw I got a cadillac 472 Bigblock if anyones interested.. I need the Floor space.. It started knockin, so I yanked it out b4 it seized up, and junked the car.. i dont feel like messin with it.. make an offer..Probably have to pick it up though, its Sooo heavy.. TH400 trani & edelbrock 750cfm on it to get a mean 6-MPG outa that badboy on 92 octane hahaha. well again sorry to write so much but what the hell else do we have to do, and why else would we be in the forums if not to read some other crazy man's play for his ultimate B-series Masterplan lol!

Later all

-Kevin

Back