custom bumper

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

02accordex

i designed my own bumper,fenders and hood, does anybody know how i would go about having them molded ????????/

No kidding rixXxceboy! You definately need the help of a professional. As far as this goes
make a foam replica of your design, fiberglass it (at least 7 layers), then bondo glass it..sand, test fit. The "lost foam" method of mold creation is very time consuming. Most pros now use other ways of laying up a mold including balsa wood, egg cartons, expanding foams, etc. etc. Anyways, back on topic. As far as creating a perfect mold from a design goes, I have personally spent up to three months on just the mold work. There's people who can do it faster, but they're usually companies like APC who have design teams and use the old way of clay building. Just my 2 cents, hope it helped and good luck.

NO you cant glass over the foam it melts the foam.
second you need to make a mold and lay the glass into that.
use foam cover in clay.

SelectProducts.com sells foam that doesn't melt w/ glass on it. I've made a custom bumper by simply making a mold of the stock bumper while it was on the car, make it a one layer mold, then when it dries, pull it of and trim it up. Thicken it up on the back side, then customize it from there.

Ok, I must be lost here. I've been doing fiberglass for over twelve years and I still don't quite understand what you're saying MaliWho. I understand the part of you using some type of foam from selectproducts to make a mold, but I'm lost when you say "trim it up and customize it from there". The fiberglass I'm used to requires a "perfect" mold in order to create a smooth product. I sort of understand what you're saying, but if you were to take your foam mold off and customize the inside (which would be your front showing surface) how could you possibly create a clean, seam free surface? Not to mention, how could you accurately measure the positive or negative drafts in order for your fiberglass part to release? Post some more so I can fully understand how you made your bumper. Thanks

My description was a little short. I basically masked off the bumper and applied a removal wax that I get from my local auto body supply store. I made a "Skin" of the bumper, and then thickened up the mold from the back side of it. From there, you can cut into the bumper, mold, remove, do whatever your heart desires. You can get the foam blocks from Select, and make custom vents or whatever else you wish to make, and mold them into the bumper skin you made.....

Back