D-Series Project

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

All Show

I have a 99 DX and just bought a Z6 engine complete with tranny, header, IM, distrubiter, ECU and engine harness. I also have a Y8 head and IM. This is what I was thinking of doing but not sure if it will work.

Use the Y7 block, Y8 head, Y8 IM, Y7 TB, Z6 tranny, Z6 header, and the Z6 ECU.

Questions
1. Will my Y7 or Z6 distrubiter work or do I need to buy a Y8 distrubiter?
2. What engine harness will be the best, Y7 or Z6, or should a buy a Y8 harness?
3. What do I need for head bolts?
4. Will my Y7 axles work with with the Z6 tranny or should I use the Z6 axles?
5. Any major problems with what I am proposing to do?

P.S. There is no emission laws where I live.

ironically it shoudl work, no harness required. I would use the Z6 head, and Dizzy. and the Z6 ECU all of the rest of that stuff should all be the same(I think) check the bore and stroke for the Y7-8 and if they are the same they are probably exactly the same part(wont matter) Ironically i have heard that the D16Z and D16Y mtors are almsot 100% identical

use the z6 head, dizzy, IM, harness and ecu on the y7 block.

the y8 stuff is too much of a hassle:

-you'll have to add wires for the vtec oil pressure switch and solenoid, as well as redo the wiring for the IACV (3wire on the y7 harness, 2 wire on the y8 IM)

- you're going to get a CEL for the knock sensor, then you'll have to buy a knock sensor (around $120) then figure a way to wire it into your harness/ecu.

- then you'll find out that it's a pain in the ass to get the obd2 ecu to run w/o any CELs and will want to get a p28 ecu ( which you already have), but will have to get a obd2-obd1 harness adapter (usually $230-250).

you already have a complete z6 swap, use it with the harness + ecu and you'll be better off anyway. the z6 swap/ecu will be easier to play with when it comes time to upgrade.

I did the complete y8 head/ecu swap on a y7 block and found out it's not as straightforward as everyone says it is..... (knock sensor problem) . so i am shelling out another $500 for a chipped p28ecu w/harness i hadnt expected so i wont have to deal with that stinkin CEL prone p2p ecu anymore...... just my $20 worth....

I would like to use the Y8 head and IM because they flow better. If I decide to use the the Y8 head will in need a Y8 distrubitor or will the Z6 or Y7 distrubitor work?

Will the Z6 engine harness plug into my body harness?

When buying head bolts do I match the head bolts to the head?

Can I use the Z6 valve cover?

Someone out there must know, I don't think this is cutting edges stuff. A little help please. Thanks

The y7 dizzy should be fine, if not get the y8 dizzy (no wire mess). I had an LX and used a y8 dizzy no prob, not sure of the other way.

About harness (you can not use the OBD1 harness), you've got two options:
- rewire your y7 harness or
- buy a y8 harness.

If you choose to rewire, you must add these wires (what I did to get my LS/Vtec wired up):
- vtec solenoid
- vtec pressure
- knock sensor
- get plugs for IAC sensor, and above 2 mentioned (all use same round 2 wire plug except for vtec solenoid, it uses a square one wire piece.)
- Repin all above mentioned sensors, even the IAC sensor too.
Tip: you can source these from the z6 harness.

For the knock sensor, your best option is from the salvage yard. (All DOHC vtecs have them and all SOHC vtecs 96+ have them.)

If you wish to use the Z6 ecu, you have to buy a conversion harness.
OBDIIb -> OBDI

With that all said, everything not mentioned should swap over from the Z6.

Thanks a lot, I could have figured out some of that stuff by trail and error but when I go to do a job I like to know what I am getting into and what problem I may have. Thanks again.

Back