d15b to jdm d16a swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hoff

Hey,

I have a car with a jdm d15b that blew up. I bought another jdm d15b from an importer and that turned out to be bad. I was offered a replacement but they only have the jdm d16a in stock (jdm 1.6 vtec). I have a turbo setup with 450cc injectors tuned on crome in a p08.

Will I likely have a real different tune? would I be able to drive the car until I retune? I figure my old tune would be a good base map since it ran rich.. the motors are only a 100cc diference if I understand correctly.

Are any of the parts different? I dont want to run into compatibility issues during the swap process. I know I'll have to return the timing belt, water pump, oil pump that I bought for the d15b and get some for the d16a. If anything should getting parts be easier since its pretty much a d16z6?

What would ideal compression be for the jdm d16a?

Any advice is appriciated.. I already soaked up as much as I could through google.

almost all d-series have all interchangeable parts and from what i heard the d16 is better with turbo than the d15, but i could be wrong, i dont run turbo.

the distributor off a d 15b wont bolt up to a to usdm d series dont know about jdm, everything else should be fine worst case you can swap the internals(distributor)I think the compression is lower on the d16 so would be better for turbo

the distributor off a d 15b wont bolt up to a to usdm d series dont know about jdm, everything else should be fine worst case you can swap the internals(distributor)I think the compression is lower on the d16 so would be better for turbo

That is somewhat incorrect. There's many different JDM D15Bs.

The D16A VTEC(ZC VTEC) is pretty much a D16Z6 with the Y8 crank sensor and knock sensor. If anything, it's easier to get parts for this motor than the D15B VTEC.

Tune should be similar, but I'd still re-tune due to slight timing differences and different in R/S(less dwell; shouldn't effect driveability but rather has to do with extracting the most power out of your setup). Otherwise, yes it's fine to drive on it.

well I finished the swap using the d15b dizzy and everything is good... I havent retuned yet but its still rich.. Does anyone know what timing belt I should get for the jdm d16a? I'd imagine the VX belt on my d15b has less teeth? Can I use the same belt? It only has like 10k miles on it.

Back