D15b - vtec... good build for a beginner?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BossFerrell

Im pretty new to building motors or any mechanical work for that matter, but I have always been in love with Hondas and finally decided that I want to take on a project, I have a friend who owns a shop and said he wouldn't mind letting me use a lift and wouldn't mind helping me re-build the engine I decide to buy.

My question is would it be worth it to buy and build a D15b so that I can start learning to build motors without having to spend a lot (because if I screw it up I'm not out that much) or should I just go all out and get a B18 or H22 and just call it a day and learn to rebuild on one of those?

Also what kind of horsepower can I look at getting out of a D15B - vtec with just bolt-ons and simple mods (Non Turbo)?

Probably close to 150 at the very max without actually tearing into the motor itself. And that's pushing it.

yeah 150hp def isnt what I want to do, Ill probably just look into a b18 and learn to rebuild with brand new parts and such on that. Might as well start on that since that is what I want eventually anyway.

also if I did the D15b and rebuilt it with new cams, rods, bored it out and what not and then put bolt-ons id only be able to push 150hp? then how does Bisi build them with 150 hp with just a header?

I got 141hp and that was with a custom fuel map and I:h:e for the old car :( it's possible, but as for moddibility goes, it has .1% potential

im so confused as to how everywhere i look says this motor puts out 125-130 hp stock but people are barely getting 100 hp out of it to the wheels when they mod it? Can anybody tell me a better cheap swap then? one that i can get like 200 hp at least out of?

Where are you getting all this info? Bisi has never made 150whp with just bolt-ons. The closes to stock was probably an overbored/Arias-pistoned D16Z6 with internally-stock D15B VTEC head. You also have to realize there's a difference between chp/bhp and whp. Most manufacturers rate their engines at the crank, while many shops dyno them at the wheels(150chp is roughly 113whp in a Honda).

The D-series(VTEC, non E) dyno around 100-105whp at the wheels, stock. They take work to make power(especially NA, where you need to pay careful attention to everything); most built NA D-series are around 160-170whp(only a handful that has made it to the 200whp mark); and then there's Bisi's D15 that was making around 270whp IIRC.

As far as NA goes; a B18C ITR engine would probably be simplest/cheapest, and K-series being easiest. If you're willing to go turbo, you can definitely hit 200whp on a D-series.

Last edited:
Like i said im not a mechanic by any means and im trying to learn so thats why im asking so many questions, and I saw on Bisi's website in his dyno vault that he has a d15b vtev making 150 hp with a header on it, but I may be wrong as hell (probably am) but yeah i just wanted to build a cheap motor the first time i built one and throw a turbo on that bad boy, If i turbo'ed a d-series and was making 200 hp what kind of tims would i be looking at on the 1/4 mile track?

i think its a good build to begin but u gotta ask urself one? what do u want do with it and also check ur budget because if u want to go all out then go with the bigger engines and turst me when i say u can get more than 150 out of a d series just ask BISI about his 700 horse d-16 turbo wagon. the decision its in ur hands and whatever u chose it will still be a great project to work and also learn about engines

Back