D15B VTEC into EF

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

EFB18A1

I was wondering would a d15b fit into a 89 civic hatch. and what parts would i need to find if i was just getting a longblock? would i need to do any wire conversion?

well i beweeve so since the d15 is the most common engine in ef hatchies... the wiring will depend on if your car is dual point injection(basically a carberatour with two injectors stacked on top of each other) or multi port fuel injection which has the updated fuel rail 4 injectors etc... its not hard wiring tho....
teh wiring for the ecu and fuel injectors

i dont know shit about the vtec part so im sure someone else will inform you on the wiring for this...

I am currently in process of this swap.

I'm converting to OBD-1 so I have to change the distributor (and repin the plugs), use OBD-1 injectors (requires simple rewiring/soldering), extending wires for map sensor (92-95's is on TB, 88-91's is in the black control box), and making/buying jumper harness for the ECU.

In addition, you must use the 88-91 driverside motor mount (must cut some of the 92-95's timing belt covers to fit)

To use the vtec you'll need to add two wires (vtec sig, and vtec oil press)

If you buy replacement parts for the motor, get 92-95 parts.... but keep your ef clutch/flywheel/alternator,a/c,p/s (the waterpump, tensioner, timing belt from the ef won't work)

I'm almost done with my swap... should be finished around this Wednesday.

BTW, if you are a DX (dual point) I suggest converting to MPFI first... deal with any issues you may have, then do the swap. If you do it all at once, you may get lost in the troubleshooting.

Back