D15B7 Turbo Build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

skwid

Hey there guys... I don't want to sound like someone that is coming in here and wants power and not spend any money. Now that that's out of the way let's begin.

My wife purchased a 1995 Honda Del Sol and she put me in charge of the engine. She has taken the bodywork and interior work and has done a amazing Job. Anyway just to show you here is a couple of pictures from Friday of last week after the car was painted.

MVC_016S.JPG

MVC_013S.JPG

My question is this. I have a D15B7 motor that is going in this car and my power goal is about 200whp. I don't know a lot about Honda engines so I would just like to know straight up What do I need from the ground up to make that a reality with a turbo. Money is not really an issue but please do not tell me to swap. This is the Engine I want to use and I beleive with the right setup it could create that kind of power. The Engine is Not VTEC.

In short I'd like to know in list form basically what would you pro engine builders use for this motor and what should I have done to the block, head, etc..

Thank you for your time.

J

To be straight up, 200hp is not a realistic goal unless you tear that motor to pieces and build it, and replace the transmission with a different one. I have a 92 CX Hatch with a D15B7 headswap, and a D16A6 Cam, with I/H/E, and I'm aiming for 165hp WITH boost. it would be THOUSANDS cheaper to swap the motor and trans instead of building a D15B7.

My personal recomendation is to pickup a D16Z6 head/intakemanifold/Throttlebody, and wiring the Vtec, Getting a *I think its a P28 ECU* and also finding a D series SI Transmission to go with it. and then boost that, 200hp is alot more realistic with a D16Z6 head and a good turbo setup, and you get to keep the stock block, and never have to acctually 'pull' the motor.

I agree- but I'm sure that *I* could make 200whp on that engine with some good tuning. ;) It probably wouldn't be very daily-driven reliable though.

Go with the head swap and turbo that- 200whp should be pretty easy to get to, although the D15 rods are somewhat weaker/thinner than the D16 rods. Tune carefully!

Good point about d15 rods being weaker/thinner than d16, boost can be a very quick kiss of death if you go overboard.

Thanks for the input... I just wanted to clarify that the motor I have is already out of the car and is being rebuilt. I just wanted to know what kind of pistons, valves, springs, cams, etc... that you guys would use to tighten it up. From the sounds of it I will try to get the d16 head and Si Transmission. This car will be boosted for sure to achieve my goal. I also have to put Power Steering in the Car. Wife says She didn't care if it had 1000hp, it had to have Power Steering... ;)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hmm, there goes more power out the window, lol. Bodywork is not my style, but looks good. Do you want 200hp at the crank or to the wheels? I'm guessing you'd want it to the wheels and it be a whole lot cheaper/easier to just swap for a d16. b7 rods are shit and you can only boost about 7-8psi wich is about an extra 30-40hp so that would put you at about maybe 120hp to the wheels..get what i'm sayin? It can be done but not worth the time and money.

Back