D16 Vs. anything else.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

please dont go with the d series, weather its single cam or not, their really not worth building for the little performance that ull get outa it especially for not having a rex or older hatch.....personally go with another motor, if ur in a money chrises go with a b20 or h22

If money is a factor then I wouldn't really recommend an H22 swap into a Civic...

youd be much happier with a swap than turboing the single cam that obviousyl has some miles on it at this point. id really suggest you do something like a gsr swap and well leave it relatily stock or maybe the normal exhaust and intake or even a nice set of cams youd be satifues and have a very realiable setup unlike the turbo single cam its a constant worry to make sure you arent going to have to build the motor all over again. jsut my opinion

It's all in the tune. With a crappy tune the engine could blow up. With a good tune, you'll be fine. If you don't know what you're talking about, then just don't comment please...

- People that joined in Oct 2008, calling themselves "Senior Members"...

Once you reach a certain number of posts your title automatically changes from "junior member" to "senior member". It's not something they're purposefully doing...

Im with AHHVTEC, turbo D FTW. Fresh bearings and seals, a properly sized turbo, and a good tune. 200 horse all day long, great fuel economy, and itll last a long time. Who ever says D's wont make any power, doesnt know what theyre talkin about. True it wont make as much power as a B or H swap. Also, like AHHVTEC already said, for your 200 horse goal, itll be the cheapest by far.

Bah, the D16 can make 200whp all day, every day, and just as reliably as any B-Series. Do a basic rebuild on the D (new bearings, seals, gaskets, etc) and get a small T3 and you should be golden. If done right, you'll have excellent spool time, economy, and you'll make some nice power. 200whp in a Civic is plenty to have fun with.

You said money is not a factor? I would go Kswap all the way. I did one a little while back it is a beast! You are talking some money though. It depends on what you want to do with it really.

I will vouche for any B-series build as well. The K is the strongest out of all of them N/A or Forced induction from my personal encounters.

I have been doing some research and I think I'm gonna go with the B18C series. It seems like an all around good engine. It's not heavy like the H22A where you need to spend a ton on suspension parts.

Amen to what AAAVTEC and newb said. Take your time to do a rebuild the right way like they said, and then boost it. throw on alight weight flywheel, and maybe a stage 1 clutch and I think you'd love it!
For a goal of 200WHP D-series will be reliable IF you spend the money to get it tuned well. Everyone always says it because its true "Its all in the tune".

Back